• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

RSO certification CMP vs. NRA ?

Guys, looking for some feedback from RSO's i'm up for re-certification and i'm having a lot of mixed feelings about continuing to feed my money the "questionable ethics" NRA as of late. Few fellow club RSO's suggested I look at CMP certification. Any experiences with the CMP RSO program ? I see the CPM has different tiers of certifications.

Guys, looking for some feedback from RSO's i'm up for re-certification and i'm having a lot of mixed feelings about continuing to feed my money the "questionable ethics" NRA as of late. Few fellow club RSO's suggested I look at CMP certification. Any experiences with the CMP RSO program ? I see the CPM has different tiers of certifications.
Where/how do you use your cert? Is the CMP accepted as an alternative to the NRA?

I had/have the Safety Officer certification from IDPA. When I took over the IDPA program at WSA the then Vice President wasn't satisfied with the IDPA SO Certification mostly because he didn't know much about it. I talked with the CRO and he suggested I get the NRA RSO to "make everyone happy" so I went ahead and got it.

The NRA class was good but recertification means logging into the NRA site and coughing up some cash. No additional training or anything. Regardless of what people think of IDPA at least they make me take a recertification exam every 2 years. I have been considering the USCCA RSO class myself.

USCCA Range Safety Officer eLearning Course (RSO) - USCCA Store

I am an NRA certified RSO. CMP has different rules than NRA on running a range. I'm sure that IDPA and USCCA have different rules than the other two. So it depends what activities that you are likely to cover. In general, NRA is accepted for "general range use", whereas the others are accepted for specific events only.
Where/how do you use your cert? Is the CMP accepted as an alternative to the NRA?
See my comments above.

I am an NRA certified RSO. CMP has different rules than NRA on running a range. I'm sure that IDPA and USCCA have different rules than the other two. So it depends what activities that you are likely to cover. In general, NRA is accepted for "general range use", whereas the others are accepted for specific events only.

See my comments above.
That's kind of what I assumed.

I didn't know if (for example) he only shoots CMP games, in which case, their RSO cert would be sufficient; whereas a club that demands RSOs present for all shooting activities might require NRA.

So it depends what activities that you are likely to cover. In general, NRA is accepted for "general range use", whereas the others are accepted for specific events only.

Exactly. I worked a few matches on other ranges where my IDPA certification meant nothing but the NRA was good. Regardless of whether you agree or not the NRA certification seems to be the Gold Standard in a lot of cases.

My certification is general sporting club running a handgun / rifle open shoot or non-sanctioned F Class rifle or High power matches (strictly just for members ) .

I consider my NRA RSO certification to be pretty useless. My club was offering the course so I took it.

My USPSA RO certification lets me work sanctioned USPSA matches, and my SC endorsement lets me do the same for Steel Challenge.

My IDPA CSO does the same for IDPA matches.

It’s all about what sports you want to participate in. If you’re not shooting/working CMP matches, the CMP certification is pretty meaningless

I look at the NRA RSO certification as the basics. Covers Shooting Sports in General and worth having. One of my clubs requires the NRA RSO as a requirement to run any match. the USPSA, IDPA etc concentrate more on the match itself than General Range safety.

Back
Top Bottom