• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Royal Marine jumps on grenade

i did not know it would be possible to live through something like that...only a nose bleed!!!

I pray to God that my boys could be so brave.

Thank you for the wonderful post. It's so awesome to here about people that are so courageous. Truly amazing. God bless him.

Wow. Brave, self-sacrificing, SMART, and lucky!

animatedsalute.gif

G_d Bless him!

Here's something I don't understand however.

George Cross, the highest decoration for bravery while not in the face of the enemy, which is surpassed only by the award of the Victoria Cross for the highest level of bravery in the face of the enemy.

So, when the enemy leaves booby-traps that 's not "in the face of the enemy"?? Is it only when "you can see the whites of their eyes" that it counts as "in the face of the enemy? [thinking]

G_d Bless him!

Here's something I don't understand however.

So, when the enemy leaves booby-traps that 's not "in the face of the enemy"?? Is it only when "you can see the whites of their eyes" that it counts as "in the face of the enemy? [thinking]

+1
In the face of the enemy or not, this man risked his life to protect his comrades. Amazing his injury was so minimal.

well with a backpack full of solidthings, and his body armor the risk of getting killed is drasticly lower then if he just jumped on it when body armor only.
it didnt say what type of grenade it was either, im curious about that.

Wow, put himself above others.. he and the others are lucky to have small damages. May he and others always have an angel watching.

Lucky that 66MM in his pack did not pop.

Thanks for the link thalife.

found another story with a little more detail.

dench: ""It was a pineapple type like the ones you see in the old World War Two films. "

nx: in the following link, they have a pic of his backpack(outside though, not inside contents).

here's the link to the other story which goes into more detail, including his prior act of heriosm four months prior:
"...He had to look after a lad shot through the chest. He said:'I patched him up under fire for 45 minutes. I put chest seals over the bullet wounds so his lungs wouldn't collapse and ran a drip into his arm...'" and continued to stay with him untill help came.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/3003_victoria_cross.shtml

glad you all enjoyed!

i did not know it would be possible to live through something like that...only a nose bleed!!!

I pray to God that my boys could be so brave.

Had the honor of meeting the last active duty Marine to wear the CMH back in the day, Allan Kellogg. He was a Sgt Major at the time. He jumped on a grenade and lived too. AMAZING

[bow]

Thank you for the wonderful post. It's so awesome to here about people that are so courageous. Truly amazing. God bless him.

+1 I said it after reading "Lone Survivior", our current generation of military men are just as bad ass as they were in WWII.

Good on yer Royal Marines!!! Always have been tough bastards. And only a Brit officer would say the following:

He said: "We patrolled back to where our Captain was. He was told what happened and just looked at me with a little smile in his eyes and said, ‘That was a bit crazy, Croucher'.

God love him! He was back in action right after that as well.

The George Cross medal is a very prestigious award indeed. The Victoria Cross is regarded as being a tad higher, and is always worn first, should a recipient have both ( which has not as yet happened). The VC is awarded for "... most conspicuous bravery, or some daring or pre-eminent act of valour or self-sacrifice, or extreme devotion to duty in the presence of the enemy." Maybe the Taliban don't count as "enemy" combatants?

The medal one step down from the GC is the George Medal. A friend of mine, former Metropolitan Police Officer John Purnell ( GM QPC) was awarded the GM for chasing, on foot and unarmed and out of uniform, a group of armed IRA terrorist through the streets of London. John was shot at several times but still continued to pursue the IRA men. His actions resulted in their eventual capture. His later boss, Peter Imbert, still ribs John about getting the GM. "I told him he should have gotten himself shot," Lord Imbert told me, "then he'd have got the George Cross instead!"

www.theroadtobalcombestreet.com

I believe that the Victoria Cross and the George Cross are analogous in seniority to the US Medal of Honor (It is NOT the Congressional Medal of Honor) and Navy Cross (since we are talking about the sea services). The next medal down from the MoH for the Army is the Distinguished Service Cross and for the Air Force the Air Force Cross.

I just don't understand why they don't consider his actions as "under fire from an enemy". Boobytraps are every bit as dangerous when the "enemy" isn't present as they are when they are present.

England needs more like him. Glad to see the Brits aren't afraid to give out their highest awards to those who live to tell the tale. I've read quite a few Iraq stories where the only difference between the Navy Cross/DSC recipient and the MOH is that the MOH recipient was killed in action.

Back
Top Bottom