Round vs. triangular handguard endcap..

milktree

NES Member
This is for an AR build.

I have a couple sets of Cavalry Arms handguards, one carbine length in DeWalt yellow, and one rifle length in (almost) Barney purple. Don't mock my color choices!

Anyway, I thought all the modern stuff would work with a round endcap, so that's what I bought.

But... it appears that the carbine ones work with the round, and the rifle length ones don't. Or maybe I don't know how they're supposed to fit.

Yellow carbine length fits just fine:
Yellow.jpg

But purple rifle length... either doesn't fit, or fits funny:
Purple.jpg

I can get the endcap to fit, but it's either offset up, or offset down.

Do I need a triangular endcap for this to work right?

I have a different rifle with a round endcap and round guards (actually round, not oval like these) and there's some weird cutouts on the end of the guard so it'll fit either round or triangular endcaps.

What's the "right answer" here?

Did you consider grinding the nubs down...?

With those colors i would have hit the plastic with the dremel.!
IF you choose to grind the plastic to fit Dremel makes cut off wheels for plastic and the carbide tips work well.

It my understanding that a triangular hand guard cap is standard for Mid length and Rifle length gas systems.
Colt also makes this round one that may fit.
p_160301762_2.jpg

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...s/755-handguard-cap-steel-black-prod4776.aspx
I vaguely remember one like that being on my Issued M16A2.
My BCM mid length has a triangular hand guard.

Looks like you could do that with a cutoff wheel also.
Yeah , dremel tool takes a bit of.....hmm what can I cut!
Plus those random half full epoxy tubes do wonders for returning to much cut stuff...just use some sort of release agent on one side .....or any part you dont want stuck.

It my understanding that a triangular hand guard cap is standard for Mid length and Rifle length gas systems.
Colt also makes this round one that may fit.
p_160301762_2.jpg

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...s/755-handguard-cap-steel-black-prod4776.aspx
I vaguely remember one like that being on my Issued M16A2.
My BCM mid length has a triangular hand guard.

On further research that round one above wont fit a rifle length forend. The notches are for an M203 Grenada launcher. The diameter is the same as the other round ones, but the hole for the barrel is larger to fit the heavier profile of a .750 barrel.

Much better:

triangle-cap-fits.JPG

Note that the center of the barrel is actually in the center of the guards, like it's supposed to be. Cutting off part of the guards or the cap so the round one would fit would have put the centers in different places. (not right)

So, the answer is: Triangular endcap for rifle or mid-length guards, round for carbine.

Now get some black handguards so it looks less gay.[laugh]

Really?

1) maybe I'm gay
2) maybe my wife likes purple
3) maybe I like colors like that so they're *not* "scary black guns" (cheerful stuff confuses anti-gun people)

Potato, my buddy told me to put one in my swim trunks when we went to the beach, and the ladies would be all over me.

So I tried it, and all I got was pointing and snickering,

Then he tells me,

Dude, your supposed to put it in the front.

Really?

1) maybe I'm gay
2) maybe my wife likes purple
3) maybe I like colors like that so they're *not* "scary black guns" (cheerful stuff confuses anti-gun people)

Much better:

View attachment 283347

Note that the center of the barrel is actually in the center of the guards, like it's supposed to be. Cutting off part of the guards or the cap so the round one would fit would have put the centers in different places. (not right)

So, the answer is: Triangular endcap for rifle or mid-length guards, round for carbine.
Correct ,cutting is not the “right” way . Although I can tell you IF I cut it and had some epoxy kicking around it would
End ip fitting correctly

NOW for the $3-4 for the correct end cap I would not even bother looking for the dremel.

Good job on getting it done, now wether or not your a homosexual go shoot that ghey thing! Laugh,giggle wink

Short story
Buddy bought his girlfriend a Pink AR.
Opening the gift she says “awesome tou bought me a AR” then with out much hesitation she pulled $10 out and tossed it at my buddy. She says “ here go get some flat black spray paint , hope you did not pay more for pink”

Im thinking pink and purple highlights on my AR just to get people looking and thinking.

NOW for the $3-4 for the correct end cap I would not even bother looking for the dremel.

Good job on getting it done, now wether or not your a homosexual go shoot that ghey thing! Laugh,giggle wink

Short story
Buddy bought his girlfriend a Pink AR.
Opening the gift she says “awesome tou bought me a AR” then with out much hesitation she pulled $10 out and tossed it at my buddy. She says “ here go get some flat black spray paint , hope you did not pay more for pink”

Ha! He should have known her better than that.

Im thinking pink and purple highlights on my AR just to get people looking and thinking.

Exactly. I really hate the presumption that everyone who likes guns is a middle-age straight white homophobic man. Every time I can make someone wonder, it broadens the potential audience and reduces prejudice. If fellow gun enthusiasts (who are homophobic) become a little less so, that's great! If non-gun enthusiasts think, "oh, maybe they're not all my enemy.." that's also a win!

I like the purple and the yellow, there's way too many uniform black guns out there. Purple stands out on the rack of black and brown.

Ha! He should have known her better than that.

Exactly. I really hate the presumption that everyone who likes guns is a middle-age straight white homophobic man. Every time I can make someone wonder, it broadens the potential audience and reduces prejudice. If fellow gun enthusiasts (who are homophobic) become a little less so, that's great! If non-gun enthusiasts think, "oh, maybe they're not all my enemy.." that's also a win!

I like the purple and the yellow, there's way too many uniform black guns out there. Purple stands out on the rack of black and brown.
man i have zero interest in anyone's sexual preference. Shut up and shoot! [rockon]

Funny how the term homophobia gets thrown around. I mean, are people who disagree with that lifestyle afraid of homos? Pffffft! How ‘bout arachnophobia or agoraphobia. These are real fears. I have no fear.

That being said I don’t mind purple or yellow guns and I would shoot with you nonetheless. I do like zombie green and I would love to own tactical purple. Lulu knows what’s up.

FB0EA805-19D6-4745-8651-B42139497787.jpeg 3972B15C-FBCA-4AD9-BC65-D46B24673C15.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom