Round goes off in box

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Found on Reddit. Didn't think this could happen. Story goes that the guy drops a box of ammo from waist height. Rounds are loose inside. One round hits another's primer, and "BANG!". Round blows out through case without discharging bullet, but Jesus....

9tecethngku31.jpg

iu

Points awarded for a full-size Revolver, target sights and un-bobbed trigger...

Last edited:
With no receiver to hold the round, more than likely it was the shell, not the bullet, that tore out threw the box?

The bullet or the case? Jack.

Jack, I didn't believe it myself, but it was the bullet. Apparently the round that discharged was base down against the floor, and that gave it enough reinforcement to launch it. the bullet went straight up. The case was blown to smithereens. The bullet did not have enough velocity to even dent the plywood above the ceiling panel, though. If someone actually got hit with it, it probably wouldn't have done much more than left a welt. We found the bullet on top of one of the other ceiling panels.

-Mike

That's what OP on Reddit said. No chamber to support the round, so the round burst and a few shards of casing breaking out the box.

You don't need a chamber though for stuff to go flying, under the "wrong" unique set of circumstances the bullet or case will go flying, but likely with not any level of force that would cause real injury unless it hit someone in the eye...

-Mike

The one in 100,000,000,000.

I'd say that half the ammo shipped in the U.S. is loose bulk in boxes......its not a problem.

The woman also covered her ears after. Must be an instinctual thing or something.

It's the "oh shit I forgot to put my ears on" thing if you walk onto a range you didn't realize was hot...

Admittedly when I did it, I didn't do that, but that's because I knew where the noise came from, although I would say it was not as loud as a regular gunshot, but still pretty loud. Another guy in the back of the gun shop that didn't see it happen actually momentarily ducked down behind a rack of rifles, lmao.... thankfully it was only like me, two employees, and one other customer in the store at the time.

-Mike

The one in 100,000,000,000.

I'd say that half the ammo shipped in the U.S. is loose bulk in boxes......its not a problem.
Really? I never bought a box of ammo where the ammo was lose in the box. It is always neatly arranged.

Am I buying the wrong ammo?

Really? I never bought a box of ammo where the ammo was lose in the box. It is always neatly arranged.

The only time I bought ammo that was loose was commercial reloads or factory seconds like xm193bk stuff like that....

I don't know if you are buying the wrong ammo, define "wrong".

I've bought bulk ammo 1000 rds loose in one large box and in ammo cans, even CMP shipped loose ammo in cans.

I don't know if you are buying the wrong ammo, define "wrong".

I've bought bulk ammo 1000 rds loose in one large box and in ammo cans, even CMP shipped loose ammo in cans.

See it all the time down here. Loose rounds in a plastic bag stuffed in some type of promotional container like an ammo can or wooden box etc... Or just bulk factory ammo loose in a plain cardboard box.

See it all the time down here. Loose rounds in a plastic bag stuffed in some type of promotional container like an ammo can or wooden box etc... Or just bulk factory ammo loose in a plain cardboard box.

I'll add that unless it's CCI, almost all .22 I've bought is loose in boxes, and a lot of the .223 in bulk is too.

Back
Top Bottom