Rough Rider Knives

tuna

NES Member
I get the Smoky Mountain catalog, and each Christmas I get a bunch of Rough Rider knives. For $50 - $70, I wind up with about a dozen knives. It depends on my mood what I get, but I've gotten Barlows, Congress, Lockbacks, and many many more.
These knives, as you can see, are inexpensive to say the least, but they are very good quality for beater knives. The blades all come sharp, and hold an edge pretty well. The blades move smooth and the locks, lock.
These don't compare to my favorite Bucks or CRKTs or Benchmade - but I can buy a trunkful for the cost of one of the other brands. Plus, at the price I don't mind using and losing my knife - I'd say breaking it, but I've yet to break one of these. I've also tried Imperial Schrade for my cheapies, and have snapped two.

Anyone else have any cheapies but goodies?

How about a "cheapie" Buck?...

Made in USA,
$19.99 at Walmart,
Exact same blade as the traditional Buck 110 Folding Hunter,
Same Lifetime Warranty...

Hey, Buck. If you're listening, how about a 110-LT in Seneca Green, or Mohawk Brown
to go with Remington's Nylon-66?

BU0110BKSLT_LS1R.jpg

Last edited:
That's a great price for a Buck. I've always loved Buck knives and they are my go to for serious work.
My edc at work (office work) is a CRKT Mt Rainer. My fancy knife is my Benchmade that was given as a retirement present. And my banging around knives are the Rough Riders. But when I'm going somewhere where I figure I'll need a good knife and all I've got is what I've got, it's going to be either a 110 or 112.
Even though $20 is a cheap price, that's still a little steep for my Christmas list. I give away a dozen or so knives, and bet that most sit in drawers doing nothing.

Although, while helping to move my niece, I found a mini-trapper I had given her years ago. I opened it up and the blade was fudged up - it looked like a saw! I laughed and commented on it. She said she's sorry for "ruining" it, but she finds she uses it for everything since its so small and handy. THAT was the point of it. I was so happy to see my gift used as intended.

I still say that the snowflake shit started when men stopped carrying knives, and boys were discouraged from doing so. Carrying a knife means that you will look for an opportunity to use it, which means you're helping people and being productive. I have yet to stab anyone in the throat, but I've helped out countless people with a knife out of my pocket. Since no one has the means to be productive, they lose the desire to help others and themselves.
I guarantee that if you see a guy changing his tire on the side of the road, he has a pocketknife.

I still say that the snowflake shit started when men stopped carrying knives, and boys were discouraged from doing so. Carrying a knife means that you will look for an opportunity to use it, which means you're helping people and being productive.

Yep. Cub Scouts were taught the value of a good pocket knife... and they used them.
As a kid, I can hardly remember the times I was without a pocket knife.
Nowadays kids not so much. When was the last time you saw a fresh-carved tree with...

M.N.
:emoji_black_heart:
S. K.

Or something of the like? Let alone on a picnic table...

Remember the feeling of joy when some older guy would say “lemme borrow your knife for a second bub” like there was no doubt you had it. It was like finally getting into a secret club.

AA2BF299-EF13-4CAD-A867-C7349C3C3735.jpeg Here’s this year’s choices. Guys get a glow in the dark trapper and the girls get a white toothpick.

These feel really nice, much better than past knives and they sure as hell don’t feel like $7 knives.

Yep. These are the kinds of pocket knifes I grew up with. Every boy had one and a couple of the tom-boys did too.

Kinda like a bad penny that keeps showing up... only better! [smile]

Back
Top Bottom