• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rossi Lever Action .357 Awesomness

This is the most fun I have had in a long time! I have been looking for a pistol-caliber carbine for a while. This is the Rossi R92 SS with 16" barrel in 357 magnum. Shown is my first sighting in target at 50'. Zappa steered me towards the 16" barrel which is perfect, I didn't listen fully and bought the .357 since that is most of my revolvers, but I want a 44 mag shortly.

There are a couple of sharp edges, what should I use to smooth them? Would fine sandpaper glued to a wood block work?

r92_firstday.jpg

Oh man, I've got a soft spot for levers ever since I got a Marlin Lever Action .22 for my first real (non-air) rifle as a kid. Been seriously considering buying some sort of lever action rifle again recently.

Regarding the rough edges, depends on if they are metal or wood. For wood I'd be inclined to use a sanding stick rather than a block. A sanding stick can easily be made by taping sandpaper to a flat stick like a paint stirrer or tongue depressor, depending on the size of the area in need of sanding. If the sharp edges are metal, then a file with an appropriate cut would be my choice.

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited:
I was considering it for a while, in 357 but ended up buying Ruger 77-357... It is a very cool gun, but hard to come buy... Somehow I am not a lever guy, so got a bolt 357 in SS

On my short list. How much if you don't mind?

Followed Zappa's instructions, went to galleryofguns.com and tried to order it there, now since they ship to NH FFL if you are a MA resident I had to call Hanns on Firearms and have them order it for me. It was around $480

Chris

Picked up a Chiappa 1892 lever 20" it's Great with 357 Fun to shoot and accurate but DOES NOT like any of the 38 I've tried to run through it is supposed to shoot either.

Something different at the range

Picked up a Chiappa 1892 lever 20" it's Great with 357 Fun to shoot and accurate but DOES NOT like any of the 38 I've tried to run through it is supposed to shoot either.

Something different at the range

I was shooting 158gn wadcutters over 4gn of 231

Chris

I've been contemplating one of these for some time now. While the stainless is the type I'd like to get as well, I'll want the 20" octagon bbl. Something about the look of it just says Old School. One day I'll finally get one.

I've been wanting one for a while now. It's on the long term list.

Is 16 inch the way to go? Why do you like that length if you don't mind me asking?

Is 16 inch the way to go? Why do you like that length if you don't mind me asking?

It was recommended to me for light weight, maneuverability, and an ample sight picture. Based on the assumption that the effective range of the .357 being ~150 yard or less, I think the 16" barrel is good.

Chris

That is awesome Chris. A lever gun in .357 or .44 is definitely my next purchase. Leaning toward the Rossi in .357 to keep it simple for the eventual carbine/revolver combo. A full house .357 out of a 16"+ barrel is going to be more than enough for anything on the receiving end out to 125-150 yards.

They're the lightest in weight of all the model 92 variants, and easiest to carry and manuever in thick brush and tight confines.
I also find that sight acquisition is quicker with the shorter sight radius.

I am happy with my Rossi 92 that I bought two months ago.
It's stainless .357 with a 16" barrel.
Loading was a bit sticky so I replaced the magazine spring and follower which I purchased from the Smith Shop.
Now it's real smooth.
I put a couple hundred mixed rounds through it with no problems.
It's a fun shooting rifle that I will definitely enjoy shooting more soon.

I am happy with my Rossi 92 that I bought two months ago.
It's stainless .357 with a 16" barrel.
Loading was a bit sticky so I replaced the magazine spring and follower which I purchased from the Smith Shop.
Now it's real smooth.
I put a couple hundred mixed rounds through it with no problems.
It's a fun shooting rifle that I will definitely enjoy shooting more soon.

How does it cycle with .38's ???

This is the most fun I have had in a long time! I have been looking for a pistol-caliber carbine for a while. This is the Rossi R92 SS with 16" barrel in 357 magnum. Shown is my first sighting in target at 50'. Zappa steered me towards the 16" barrel which is perfect, I didn't listen fully and bought the .357 since that is most of my revolvers, but I want a 44 mag shortly.

There are a couple of sharp edges, what should I use to smooth them? Would fine sandpaper glued to a wood block work?

r92_firstday.jpg

Good for you man! This is a gun that will always be close to my heart. I learned to shoot on a 16" .357 Rossi, back in 1990-91. It was made by Puma, not Braztec but pretty much the same except for the safety.

BTW, the pic isnt showing up when I view the thread, but the string is visible when I quote you.

*eta*

Just realized this is an old thread. Either way lever guns are rad and we should all have one.

I had two Rossi/Puma 92s, one in 44/40 and another 45 Colt, I kick myself for selling them. I have a Marlin 1894 in .44 mag...great gun. When I bought the Puma's the counter guy said never take them apart! So I did! I got very good at dissasembling/assembling them..lol

Last edited:
I have a 16 inch model 357. Lots of fun to shoot though a little tricky to load. Never tried 38's (might be easier). The lever action keeps the mag dumpers at bay during a long day at the range.

Back
Top Bottom