• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ross Rifle

I was just wondering if any of you have ever heard of or see (or might have) a Ross rifle??? I'm not a HUGE rifle collector, however this rifle has some meaning to me as it was one of my ancestors that invented it. I do know it wasn't the greatest gun to have out in the field as it was very moody about getting dirt or debris in it. I also understand that it was a very accurate gun, and that the only draw back was how it operated out in the muck.

Anyone?

Yup, originally in .280 Ross, later changed over to .303 British. Used by the Canadian Army until WW1, and still used after problems were noted, as a Sniper Rifle.

THe flaw was dirt jamming the straight pull action. Sad, as it was far more accurate than the SMLE, and in many people's opinion, a far better gun.

If you find one, we make ammo for it.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=43715407

pix2379822390.jpg

Weer'd Beard said:
WTB one "Weer'd Rifle"

I've got a few weird rifles, does that count?

WB, if you've been following this thread from the start, you'd realize that Lynne is the one that really needs one of these. It's a family thing.

Weer'd Beard said:
Does Ross have one? [lol]

if not He should!!

Actually, I'm talking with someone about an M1 Garand.

And as Lynne points out, Ross is my first name. I never had a Ross bicycle, either. Or visited the Ross Ice Shelf. Or watched Ross Grimsley pitch, either. [lol] [lol]

Anywho, the short list (of what I want to buy) includes an M1, an SMLE, an O3, a Springfield 1861, probably an SKS and a Moisin/Nagant. And since the shop where I was going to blow $725 on a Series 70 Colt was closed today (in spite of the big sign that said "OPEN"), I think I'll look at the Garand first.

If you'll excuse me, I need to go check if my Lottery ticket is a winner. [wink]

Ross

Back
Top Bottom