Room clearing by professionals

Wow.
I'm quite literally an old, fat, balding accountant with zero tactical training and even I saw how that was really bad. :(

I did not go to house clearing school, help me out, what did I miss.......
Maybe that loud rap music is a little distracting while killing bad guys?

One thing I saw were all the ready stances while in the stack rather than their rifles being in the high ready. This lead to numerous muzzle sweeps upon piling into the next room.

Standing directly in front of the entry doors prior to kicking them in doesn't seem right as well.

One thing I saw were all the ready stances while in the stack rather than their rifles being in the high ready. This lead to numerous muzzle sweeps upon piling into the next room.

Standing directly in front of the entry doors prior to kicking them in doesn't seem right as well.
Yeah, though high ready is usually frowned on during shoot houses with catwalks. So low ready is preferred.

1. Flagging everyone in sight is the most egregious
2. Gaggle-f***ing around in a very uncoordinated fashion, particularly directly behind doors before entering the next room
3. Double breaching doors like they’re busting into a bar from the movie Swingers
4. Not clearing corners on their way to points of domination
5. 2nd guys doing whatever they want instead of covering sectors that weren’t covered by the 1st guy

I’m sure there’s more too, but I can’t watch that again.

Think of it this way, if you and 10 of your buddies who also did not receive any urban/MOUT/building clearing or even basic weapons handling, that is what it would look like. How somebody, anybody, did not call an immediate cease fire and ENDEX to address the weapons safety is beyond me right from the start.

Also note the one guy that stopped in the middle of the room (basically in the fatal funnel of that next doorway) and took a knee just to change mags (appears that’s what he was doing).

My initial thought was how the hell did they even get as far as using live ammo with those tactics. Train to standard not to time. Meaning if your day in the shoot house starts at say 0800, the teams start out (at least we used to) using e-tools as rifles and walking thru everything, over and over then speeding it up as it smooths out.

Maybe several hours later you then go to using rifles and blanks, walking thru until it’s smooth, then and only then if it is to standard, do you finally move on to using live ammo and live frags for that days training. It could now be 1900hrs, 2100hrs, 2300hrs, whatever, you train to standard always and not to any estimated EOB day schedule.

ETA this pic, dug it out of an old yearbook:

B309F34D-ABC4-42CA-B4EC-C2E5DE458710.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah, though high ready is usually frowned on during shoot houses with catwalks. So low ready is preferred.

2. Gaggle-f***ing around in a very uncoordinated fashion, particularly directly behind doors before entering the next room
3. Double breaching doors like they’re busting into a bar from the movie Swingers
5. 2nd guys doing whatever they want instead of covering sectors that weren’t covered by the 1st guy

I have no tactical training of any kind, but that looked like a bunch of LARPers with the wrong tactical training.

Think of it this way, if you and 10 of your buddies who also did not receive any urban/MOUT/building clearing or even basic weapons handling, that is what it would look like. How somebody, anybody, did not call an immediate cease fire and ENDEX to address the weapons safety is beyond me right from the start.

Also note the one guy that stopped in the middle of the room (basically in the fatal funnel of that next doorway) and took a knee just to change mags (appears that’s what he was doing).

My initial thought was how the hell did they even get as far as using live ammo with those tactics. Train to standard not to time. Meaning if your day in the shoot house starts at say 0800, the teams start out (at least we used to) using e-tools as rifles and walking thru everything, over and over then speeding it up as it smooths out.

Maybe several hours later you then go to using rifles and blanks, walking thru until it’s smooth, then and only then if it is to standard, do you finally move on to using live ammo and live frags for that days training. It could now be 1900hrs, 2100hrs, 2300hrs, whatever, you train to standard always and not to any estimated EOB day schedule.

Does anyone even kneel to reload anymore? That's a recipe to get canoed

With a 4 man stack, isn't 1 and 2 in line supposed to divert to the right and left corners while 3 and 4 take care of the middle, while all 4 directing their muzzles to the back of the room to mitigate any muzzle sweeping?

With a 4 man stack, isn't 1 and 2 in line supposed to divert to the right and left corners while 3 and 4 take care of the middle, while all 4 directing their muzzles to the back of the room to mitigate any muzzle sweeping?

Depends on if it’s center fed vs corner fed and the 1st man is going to assess the probability of a threat when going to the corner they’re kind of facing vs button hooking.
Also, the 3 & 4 guys are getting the center, but 1&2 get the center as well. It’s just the 3&4 guys’ zones get left and right limits determined by where the 1&2 guys go to for points of domination.

Does anyone even kneel to reload anymore? That's a recipe to get canoed
It can be SOP for malfunctions. Lets team members know to cover sectors of the downed weapon. But you gotta then let everyone know before you stand up again. And you definitely don’t do it in the middle of a f***ing room in complete view of the fatal funnel 😆

..and agreed on reloads. Sweet Jesus.

I played a ton of paintball growing up, so my experience is limited to that. Don't muzzle sweep your buddy, ever. I know combat makes us break rules some times, but really, don't TRAIN to muzzle sweep. The other thing missing here is communication.

Situation dictates. You have to be able to move and think at the same time, and the guys following have to be able to adapt immediately to which way the guy in front of him moves.

EG; what if there is no right corner? Or no left corner? Or any corners? Point should always go to the immediate threat, not locked into one certain area that may not even hold a threat.

Add in now what if point needs to go hands on with the enemy who charged him, or #2 or 3 has to do that after entering. So many things happen at once, and the variables are numerous and constantly changing.

Last edited:
Those guys are NOT Climbing to Glory.
They were very lucky nobody was shot.
Ya, I want to say that I can’t blame them for this, whoever the instructor was is to blame, but, at the same time they are all to blame because any one of them should have seen this cluster and called a cease fire immediately.

Ya, I want to say that I can’t blame them for this, whoever the instructor was is to blame, but, at the same time they are all to blame because any one of them should have seen this cluster and called a cease fire immediately.
Yeah. I heard they were 1-89 Cav, so they’re maneuver elements and should know better. Everyone present including those on the catwalk are to blame. I can cut brand new privates some slack for all the errors except for flagging their teammates. Even brand new Soldiers out of IET should know to not do that.

Back
Top Bottom