• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

rookie recommendations?

qwik88

NES Member
Ordered a lee single stage kit to start reloading. going to start with 30-30 then prob go to 308. any advice for a green horn? what reloading manual does every one like?

Check out:

Also, take my class:

If you take it and feel it wasn't worth it, I'll refund your tuition on the spot.
if you where closer i would deff take the class little far from me though

Check out:

Also, take my class:

If you take it and feel it wasn't worth it, I'll refund your tuition on the spot.

Just to add a little, there's a lot of other online load data, like Vihtavuori, Norma, etc. Depends on what OP will be loading for components; most component and some press manufacturers publish data either in books or online.

@qwik88, you're loading probably the second and third most common rifle cartridges in the US, so you've got tons of options for different types of components once the market gets back to normal. You should have a pretty easy time finding stuff, too. Not like you're loading anything particularly esoteric. You'll want to get a few general handloading books that explain the concept and process of handloading, then maybe a few specialized books based on the specific components you want to use and possibly the gun you'll be loading for if the gun's got particular quirks. For example, I have Lee, Sierra, Norma, and Woodleigh manuals, plus these:

Amazon product ASIN 148207379XView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/148207379X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon product ASIN B001H986R2View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001H986R2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon product ASIN B002E6VJ30View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002E6VJ30/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The first book I linked to explains the basics of handloading and has a very strong hunting focus. I bought the Townsend Whelen book mostly out of historical curiosity, there's cool stuff in there but its quite dated. The cartridge-specific load books are ok when used together with more detailed manuals - they condense down load data from across domestic component manufacturers.

What books people like is highly subjective. Depends on what you're loading and how you like things organized. I like the Sierra manual I have because its a binder, not actually a book. Of course, the problem is it focuses on Sierra bullets, so it isn't a book I'd suggest for someone trying to crank out tons of cast bullet pistol ammo.

Last edited by a moderator:
One more thing: a lot of it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to get the best hunting ammo? Do you want better control over ammo supply? Are you trying to reduce cost to a minimum to keep up a healthy competition calendar? Do you own guns in unusual cartridges? With .30-30 and .308 (you didn't say 7.62 NATO), my bet is you're looking for hunting ammo. In that case, you'd probably want to start with component manufactures who make bullets you like.

One more thing: a lot of it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to get the best hunting ammo? Do you want better control over ammo supply? Are you trying to reduce cost to a minimum to keep up a healthy competition calendar? Do you own guns in unusual cartridges? With .30-30 and .308 (you didn't say 7.62 NATO), my bet is you're looking for hunting ammo. In that case, you'd probably want to start with component manufactures who make bullets you like.
no not a hunter really more just looking to be able to load for cost and ability to load when you cant find ammo. also would like to get into longer distances and would like to be able to load for accuracy with the 308.

no not a hunter really more just looking to be able to load for cost and ability to load when you cant find ammo. also would like to get into longer distances and would like to be able to load for accuracy with the 308.

In that case, I'd start with looking into data to replicate USGI 7.62 NATO match cartridges like M118 and M852. Those are good places to start.

You can get the Hornady load data on an app for your phone, and only buy the loads you need. So you could download the app and just download 30-30 and 308 for 99 cents each. Then you would not need the gazillion other calibers in the book. The Hornady book is my fav, but I have also picked up Lyman, Nosler, and Sierra. I try to get them when hey are half off. Also, with the app, you’d have it when you go to the store and they have none of the powders or bullets you want, but maybe some you could use.

Hodgdon powders seem to be the most available, both in good times and bad, in m experience.

once you have a few manuals and use the free online Hodgdon data, you can then decide which powder you want to use based on availability or cost etc.

I run IMR-4064 powder in 30-30 because I have tons of it on hand already. Works well in 30-06 and 7.5x55 swiss

In that case, I'd start with looking into data to replicate USGI 7.62 NATO match cartridges like M118 and M852. Those are good places to start.
No need to replicate mil spec ammo.
308 is a wide platform to load for as is 30-30 .
Both can be loaded from mousefart cast loads to pushing the limits.

only limitation on 30-30 in a lever gun is bullet shape. Pointy FMJ are not good.

308- can run so many options.
I run 110s-200 gn bullets cast to FMJ and everything in between. From 750fps to 3000fps
My fun load right now are 110-130 gn fmjs at around 2200 fps out of my K98 chambered in 308. Fun 200 yard plinker.

have fun go slow
When in doubt pull the ammo down

Best thing I can tell you is dont waste a lot of time at the bench vs actual practice to get better.
Keep the best notes you can so tou dont back track and do things that dont work…..I fail hard on this.
Buy known quality bullets unless your just making “go bang” ammo.

Any reloading manual will do.

To be honest, I never read any of the manuals I own, I go straight to the reloading data. I am not sure what people read when they say they read the entire thing.

But ... I did spend a lot, and I mean A LOT of time reading online and asking questions. Probably a good 4 months, 2hrs per day (ride to and from work on the train). And I also went to a fellow NES member home and he showed me a few things.

So, my advise:
1. Read and watch videos.
2. Read more.
3. Keep reading.
4. Ask questions.
5. Ask more questions.
6. Once you know what to do, then have someone show you (either independent person or a class as mentioned above). This will reinforce everything you read.

I am of the school of getting as educated as possible before taking a class, that way you can focus on the more advanced stuff and asking smart questions.

Welcome to the reloading world, soon you will ask yourself "why didn't I start 10 years ago?".

Really depends on the “manual”
Some are more data specific vs reloading technique , instructions, info on primer choices , powder burn rate and such.
Some manuals have more info than some reloaders will ever need. Like lymans cast bullet manual. The crystalline structure if lead alloy section probably gets glossed over by many. ???

Back
Top Bottom