Ron Paul rips NRA plan

maybe we should just make the "no guns allowed" signs bigger.

I suspect that most criminals dont see them while entering gun free zones.

maybe we should just make the "no guns allowed" signs bigger.

I suspect that most criminals dont see them while entering gun free zones.

Good point! I actually don't remember even seeing one at my daughters school now that you mention it.[wink]

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/12/24/ron-paul-rips-nra-plan-for-officers-in-every-school/

RP has legitimate points. However nothing like criticizing a plan without putting forth a solution of your own. [thinking]

A "solution" isn't needed. There really isn't a problem. Sometimes true liberty has it's costs, random acts of violence is one of them. Ron Paul is one of the few that don't have their heads up their ass, he sees where this is going. Look how far 9/11 has pushed aside freedoms, this latest incident is just another tool they are using.

My bet is RP's concerne is that authorities would take their suggestion and basically go full retard with it. Instead of simply throwing a LEO or two in every school, some areas would go full retard on the idea and use it as an invitation to add metal detectors, etc, etc, ad nauseam. I don't think his fears are entirely unwarranted, but on the other hand many public schools are already like prisons, minus the actual hard security of a real prison. [thinking]

-Mike

This is what I think will happen. The NRA can say they think a private solution as much as they want, but the NRA does not make local or federal school policy. The idiots in office do. So if they hear from the NRA "armed guards in schools" they can implement their own idea (that is not local, private, or logical) and claim some amount of backing from the gun community now. The R's will be clamouring to vote yes for it.

As someone noted, human nature is what it is. Attempts to control it through governments, religions, etc have historically failed because they can never change the fundamentals of it.

have you been outside of your house? Or your corner of New Hampshire? Because it doesn't sound like you have.
Cue Jose to talk about the real world outside of Massachusets...

At the moment, I'm not in my little corner of NH. I actually spend very little time at home with my wife and kids, because I'm working in Texas, and travelling back and forth, including Arkansas, Missouri, sometimes Deroit, and, yes, even Boston.

I do not hear or see the general public in an uproar to "do something!"

I have talked to plenty of casual 2A supporters... strangers to me.... who believe in some sort of action right now.
Then that narrows your location down to Fuddville, Moonbatistan.

Seriously, get out of your mom's basement. While a good chunk of the general public might casually agree with doing something, if you bring it up, they're not marching on Washington to make it happen. It's just not a priority.

At the moment, I'm not in my little corner of NH. I actually spend very little time at home with my wife and kids, because I'm working in Texas, and travelling back and forth, including Arkansas, Missouri, sometimes Deroit, and, yes, even Boston.

definitely a lot quieter on the other side of the iron curtain.

I fully agree with Ron Paul on this. IMO, the NRA is afraid to go all the way, so they decided to promote a compromising solution. I was honestly appalled when I first heard the NRA call for armed guards. That would set the precedent for a total police state, not to mention the fact that would you want your kids going to a school with armed guards all over the place and possibly checkpoints, as if they are about to enter some sort of prison?

IMO, the common sense solution is to simply use the second amendment. Repeal the gun free schools law and let teachers, principals and other school staff carry guns. They could conceal carry and as an added benefit, the school environment will be friendly and relaxed.

Last edited:

Then that narrows your location down to Fuddville, Moonbatistan.

Seriously, get out of your mom's basement. While a good chunk of the general public might casually agree with doing something, if you bring it up, they're not marching on Washington to make it happen. It's just not a priority.

You think that's where I heard that? Somewhere in fuddsville MA? I just spent a few weeks down in florida where I heard this talk. Surprised the hell out of me. It was the same story with each large group of people I conversed about this with: "I'm pro gun, but we gotta do something about this." If it wasn't for people talking about getting rid of assault rifles or large magazines, it was talking about putting cops in schools.

NO. You are a minority. Get that through your ****ing head. John Q Public is not like NES: I want arms like the government troops or GTFO. "This is an isolated incident- don't freak out, we'll play things out. Rational. Cool and collected.... NO. If you think Jose has a grip on the general public, you're an idiot. Sorry buddy. You're sounding more like a little mindless minion of his than anything. Get. A. Grip.

John Q Public is Dumb. Average. They feed into media. They get into that shit. They have no filter. They react first then think.

I want the public to think like you and your lord Jose. It's how I think. But if you honestly think that the public doesn't care about a bunch of kids getting murdered in cold blood, to the point of not wanting some sort of action, then you are a ****ing idiot.

There is no march on DC right now. There is no angry mob. But if you think that people aren't taking notice and don't want action on this, then you are ****ing dense.

RP is alienating those people. And he needs those votes in order to matter in this political system. This is NOT helping. And if you can't see that, I don't know what to tell you. Sorry, maybe?

You think that's where I heard that? Somewhere in fuddsville MA? I just spent a few weeks down in florida where I heard this talk. Surprised the hell out of me. It was the same story with each large group of people I conversed about this with: "I'm pro gun, but we gotta do something about this." If it wasn't for people talking about getting rid of assault rifles or large magazines, it was talking about putting cops in schools.

NO. You are a minority. Get that through your ****ing head. John Q Public is not like NES: I want arms like the government troops or GTFO. "This is an isolated incident- don't freak out, we'll play things out. Rational. Cool and collected.... NO. If you think Jose has a grip on the general public, you're an idiot. Sorry buddy. You're sounding more like a little mindless minion of his than anything. Get. A. Grip.

John Q Public is Dumb. Average. They feed into media. They get into that shit. They have no filter. They react first then think.

I want the public to think like you and your lord Jose. It's how I think. But if you honestly think that the public doesn't care about a bunch of kids getting murdered in cold blood, to the point of not wanting some sort of action, then you are a ****ing idiot.

There is no march on DC right now. There is no angry mob. But if you think that people aren't taking notice and don't want action on this, then you are ****ing dense.

RP is alienating those people. And he needs those votes in order to matter in this political system. This is NOT helping. And if you can't see that, I don't know what to tell you. Sorry, maybe?

This. Even here on NES we have people talking about new bans like it's a forgone conclusion, and maybe it is. Go look at what stripped lowers are going for on gunbroker and tell me that "gun people" aren't reading the writing on the wall. Now take that and extrapolate to the average idiot. If there's one maxim to politicians, it's that they listen to the average idiot. They have to protect their phony baloney jobs, gentleman.

[rofl]...then you don't know much about the demographics of Florida!

I'm not too sure you do either. Almost everyone I know from different areas spread all around the state either own guns, or carry them, and they aren't even "gun people" like we are. Flintoid is spot on with his assessment, and I personally had a taste of that on Christmas day. We had a couple up from Amelia Island, Fla. up here, who we had never met before (parents of our son's fiance'). The subject came up completely unprovoked by me because I had promised my wife that I would not bring up the subject of guns at all because she knows my passion for 2A, and how opinionated I am with regard to these subjects. These people live in a very isolated little community about 45 minutes outside of Jacksonville, but even for them it is BIG news! The husband is very pro freedom, believes people should have the right and ability to bear arms etc. The wife is very much an anti, and it took everything that I had to hold my tongue when she started voicing her opinions about "what should be done". I broke off from the group to chat with the husband at one point since he was obviously the more sensible, and rational of the 2. Much to my surprise, though, when the discussion turned to "assault weapons" and "big clips", I was saddened to hear him say that he didn't see a reason why anyone would want those, or need them for anything![rolleyes] Well, as we talked a bit more, I realized that he was mainly subject to general public opinion, but seemed to have a fairly strong interest in guns even though his wife wouldn't allow him to own any.[laugh] So, I popped open the safe and let him handle a few of my scary EBRs. He was very intrigued and had many questions about the features, operation, etc. I only wish they had stayed over because I would have been able to bring him to the range to show him the light.[wink] I'll bet he was not going to have a good night after they left, though, because his wife knew (or found out somehow) what we were up to, and she was seriously unnerved, and angry when she was calling for him, and saying "we need to leave now!" Poor guy![laugh]

One thing to keep in mind is a lot of people are braying (including self described "gun owners") but only a certain percentage of the braying horses are willing to do anything. A month from now they won't even barely remember the fact that some wackjob killed a bunch of children in CT.

-Mike

One thing to keep in mind is a lot of people are braying (including self described "gun owners") but only a certain percentage of the braying horses are willing to do anything. A month from now they won't even barely remember the fact that some wackjob killed a bunch of children in CT.

-Mike

The media will be sure to remind them.

The media will be sure to remind them.

Even the media loses interest. Old news doesn't increase ratings, with 9/11 being an exception. Look at the shitty media coverage in Iraq and Afganistan now.... we still have guys dying over there and the Media treats that shit as a "sidebar" now, assuming they even talk about it at all.

-Mike

Even the media loses interest. Old news doesn't increase ratings, with 9/11 being an exception. Look at the shitty media coverage in Iraq and Afganistan now.... we still have guys dying over there and the Media treats that shit as a "sidebar" now, assuming they even talk about it at all.

-Mike

I agree. It seems like the high-tide mark has already been reached, and the frenzy is starting to recede. From today's USA Today:

A majority of Americans support stricter gun laws in the aftermath of the Newtown school shooting, but most oppose banning assault weapons, a move that is backed by President Obama as a step to curb gun violence, according to a new USA TODAY/Gallup Poll.

Fifty-eight percent of Americans now say they favor stricter gun laws, up from 43% in October 2011. And the American public, which favored enforcing existing gun laws over passing new ones by a 60%-35% in 2011, now is split on the issue, with 46% favoring enforcing current laws and 47% favoring passing new ones.

In terms of specific laws, however, the ban on assault weapons, which are a favorite target of gun control advocates — including Obama -- hasn't gained any significant support, according to the poll. Forty-four percent support such a move and 51% are against it. In October 2011, 43% supported an assault weapons ban and 51% said they were against it.

And none of us should really care what other people think.

Heck, you could have 50% + 1 person think that it's OK for us to rob, beat and rape every redheaded 21-year-old . That doesn't make it any more moral because a "majority" of "Americans" think it should be so.

We live in a Constitutional Republic. The minority, private property and freedom are supposed to be protected.

Those margins are way too thin. But not surprising.

Oh, I concur. It's the fact it's unchanged from Oct 11, in a poll done after Newtown, that gives me a slight hope that the country has not lost its mind as a whole.

ETA: Poll numbers like "87% of the people favor banning assault weapons" give cover to corrupt politicians to infringe on rights. I want them to try without the political cover.

When the "casual 2A supporters" think something has to be done, why do they think so? Is it because they're upset about the horrors of semi-auto rifles and "fully loaded clips"? Or is it because they're afraid the gun ban might reach them if they don't throw a sacrificial lamb under the bus first?

A large percentage of NRA members, possibly even a majority of life members, are Zumbo/Jackson Fudds. They're not about to lead any charge to ban anything, even though they might speak in favor of it if they think it protects them.

And it might... right up until the next target is "sniper rifles" (any rifle with a scope) and "body armor piercing bullets" (any centerfire rifle ammo).

Our rights aren't endangered because of the general public being "bloodthirsty" for a gun ban. They're endangered because of casual gun owners who are willing to accept a ban of something they aren't interested in.

When the "casual 2A supporters" think something has to be done, why do they think so? Is it because they're upset about the horrors of semi-auto rifles and "fully loaded clips"? Or is it because they're afraid the gun ban might reach them if they don't throw a sacrificial lamb under the bus first?

A large percentage of NRA members, possibly even a majority of life members, are Zumbo/Jackson Fudds. They're not about to lead any charge to ban anything, even though they might speak in favor of it if they think it protects them.

And it might... right up until the next target is "sniper rifles" (any rifle with a scope) and "body armor piercing bullets" (any centerfire rifle ammo).

Our rights aren't endangered because of the general public being "bloodthirsty" for a gun ban. They're endangered because of casual gun owners who are willing to accept a ban of something they aren't interested in.

Well said and very true. Fudds are our own worst enemy. The NRA wants more govt...they are not friends of liberty.

Back
Top Bottom