• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Romanian vs. Yugoslavian Tokarev?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I'm looking to add a new C&R to the family and have been toying with the idea of getting a 7.62x25 Tokarev. At this point I'm looking at a Romanian TT33 and a Yugoslavian M57. The Yugo is a little bit more, but not by much over the Romanian.

Any recommendations on either? Does either have trigger slap?

Thanks.

i have several TTs and only thing i'm concerned about is added safety that is being put in to these guns in order to make them importable per BATFE point system.

i like 1911 thumb style safety on Yugos, better than other kind that's installed into the frame right above mag release.

i like that yogos have captive recoil-spring/rod assy. not sure if rommies are the same but i like that better than non-captive 1911 style spring and rod that tend to fly apart on you and PITA to re-assemble.
i bet 1911 guys know the tricks to do it easily but i don't

also yugos have larger release button that gives you a lot better positive feedback when you press it.

Yugos are 9rd vs 8 on rommy if i remember correctly.

also if you are buying this on pre-concept that you gonna find cheap 7.62x25 surplus then forget it. non of that left and has been around for at least 3 years. it maybe imported again or may not nobody knows. Sellier & Bellot and Prvi partizan 7.62x25 available around 40-60c/r not volume shooter price unfortunately.

here's what i'm talking about

Rommy: do not like

e59-2.jpg

Yugo: do like

58184cb9c7549173ffc07f64c823456f.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Yugo, I really like the cartridge, but I've had issues with the pistol itself. It likes to jam feeding in a new round, I have no idea why and replaced the hammer assembly, recoil spring (with a TT-33 style one) and tried multiple mags.

Mine might be a fluke though, apparently they were popular enough to import new M57s last year.

The days of ten cent rounds is gone. I think the new m57's cant be purchased on c&r. I have the t33 and my only complaint is the mags are not drop free. I dont have any experience with the m57's.

I have got the Yugo, Romanian, Polish, and the Serbian models. Plus I have a Chinese Norinco as well. Out of all of them, I would pick the Yugo If I was just buying one for fit, finish, and safety.

I got one of the Yugo M57s a couple of months ago on my C&R, no problem there. Its the 9mm ones that aren't C&R.

Great gun and it has the cool crest stamped into the top of the slide which is what convinced me over the Romanian one. It just looks nicer. Great shooter too and not hard to strip completely to clean out all the cosmo.

The bore on mine looked brand new too, no FTFs using PPU or S&B ammo. PPU was a little softer recoil.

i have two yugos and haven't had any problems with either. great guns.
rear sight is ugly but if you like a gun and don't mind putting money into it you can easily swap to 1911 style sights or even target ines. thankfully plenty of those around
i might try punting some fiber on at least on of them.

for me grip on TTs isn't the best but put one of those rubber funger groove sleeves that i had laying around and instantly grip became a lot more comfortable. before it felt a bit narrow for me.

I have a Yugo, Polish and Romanian. They are fun to shoot. I don't really like the safety on any of them. The sights are a little tough on these old eyes. It seems the surplus ammo has dried up. Fortunately I bought a couple spam cans when they were available for short money. For teh price you cant go wrong. They are sort of a mini 1911

I have a Yugo, I really like the cartridge, but I've had issues with the pistol itself. It likes to jam feeding in a new round, I have no idea why and replaced the hammer assembly, recoil spring (with a TT-33 style one) and tried multiple mags.

Mine might be a fluke though, apparently they were popular enough to import new M57s last year.

I have a similar problem with mine(its russian tho)... fires one, stovepipes the 2nd or just jams trying to feed. Havnt tried any fixes yet as its in extremely rough shape.. I may just get a new one for playing and keep my monstrosity as-is. However, if you figure out the issue I'd love to hear about it.

Yugo.... Mine has been solid reliable with the old cheap shit cracked case surplus ammo which is hard to find i guess now.

I can stand in front of the range and it will throw empty brass on the metal roof. It has never even come close to a jam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yugo.... Mine has been solid reliable with the old cheap shit cracked case surplus ammo which is hard to find i guess now.

I can stand in front of the range and it will throw empty brass on the metal roof. It has never even come close to a jam.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They do eject the brass a long way and almost straight up

Cool. I picked up a Romanian w/ 2 mags, holster and 75 rounds of 7.62TOK WWB. First thing I did was do away with that horrible CAI safety. Piece of garbage and very crudely done. I ground off the little stud they had to add to the back of the trigger. Then ground off the lever on the safety and replaced the plunger spring with a heavier one so there's no way that thing is moving now. Even if it did it wouldn't interfere with the firing mechanism. Now the gun functions as it was meant to and there's absolutely nothing wrong with the half-cock safety features on these guns. (though I won't be carrying it so it doesn't really matter.)

TTC.jpg

Back
Top Bottom