• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rolling bench?

I'm getting my reloading gear together and I need a good solid bench. I like the idea of being able to move it around as needed. Maybe even having a different press at different points on it.
Just saw this one at Harbor Freight and it seems like a good deal but then again it is Harbor Freight so...

https://m.harborfreight.com/46-in-9-drawer-mobile-workbench-with-solid-wood-top-63532.html

What do you guys think for a novice reloader a good idea or just stick with a all wood normal bench.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

First its HFT. Its the GED of tools its not the best its good enough, but not always (may fail, have tolerances that prevent it from working without modification or alteration, doesn't work at all, or just buy it and throw it away IE the "hot pocket effect" microwave it and throw it in the toilet, thus avoiding the whole dysentery process).

Second its your bench man! It is part of ordinance support program, you want/ wish for the heinz ketchup, you may have to settle for the Hunts Catsup, but no one knows the #3 of ketchup, its the first loser.

Third.

Theres a place in waltham that carries overun and wholesale brand name stuff snap on etc... a ding a chip but some of it is 60 cents on the dollar. I would look there.

OR

Go to Craigslist and look in the tool section machine and tool shops are dropping (sadly) like flies. You could probably get a decent rolling toolchest and if it doesn't have a decent surface put one on yourself for short $.

Now you will be rained upon with HFT memes and I will get flak for not loving the hot pocket by the hot pocket trolls (sorry they give me the poops).

And the 2 guys that did by the HFT bench and either love it, or will be really helpful and explain how they fixed it properly which is a labor of love all its own

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

I like to sit on a barstool so knee room is critical. That wouldn't work for me but I have the other harbor freight one and it's very solid. I actually mounted my press on very heavy wood so I can move it. It's not bolted to the table at all. Never thought of using wheels, I don't think I'd like it moving at all.

IMG_20170520_110435_170.jpg I'm in the process of building a new bench, utilizing 2 old 2 drawer file cabinets with locks as the left and right end supports building a framework around them keeping my knee space in the middle, making a solid 2x6 plank top for weight. And using wall mounted slot board as the backstop so it has modular storage concepts. Lastly I've procured an 8' piece of wiremold plug strip to mount under the front overhang. It's still just a work in progress, as I need to re-arrange all the floor mounted shop tools too. Mounted the press to an MDF set-up like we had at Jim's class so it's portable if It's too cold in the shop next winter till I get the heat set-up in there.

Last edited:
I used a door slab on a ready-made rolling base, from a rather unusual source: A MASSIVE rear projection TV that once contained an industrial CRT projector (think flight simulator, planetarium projector.)
There are often great commercial benches on Craigslist, I'd have gone that route if I didn't already have the TV carcass.

Are you going to mount the press on the end or the back? It can't go on the front if you want to use the top drawers. Does putting it on the end or back leave you enough room to access the drawers still in you space? Without seeing it at HF in person, it looks pretty good. I know a lot of their stuff is junky, but any obvious flaws could easily be seen. It's not like it's a power tool that you might only get one use out of.

As for myself, I have my press mounted on a 2x6 that I secure with a set of C-clamps when I want to use it. This provides a lot of flexibility in where to work. When it's not in use, I have it stored in a cabinet. With two little kids roaming the house, I didn't like the idea of leaving it out.

Are you going to mount the press on the end or the back? It can't go on the front if you want to use the top drawers. Does putting it on the end or back leave you enough room to access the drawers still in you space? Without seeing it at HF in person, it looks pretty good. I know a lot of their stuff is junky, but any obvious flaws could easily be seen. It's not like it's a power tool that you might only get one use out of.

As for myself, I have my press mounted on a 2x6 that I secure with a set of C-clamps when I want to use it. This provides a lot of flexibility in where to work. When it's not in use, I have it stored in a cabinet. With two little kids roaming the house, I didn't like the idea of leaving it out.
I'm debating between a side/back mount or raising it up with either the Lee mount or blocking it. Need to get it first (and to see it in person to see how it really feels) to get a feel for the hight and combo with a chair... I was also thinking of a overhang of some sort out of solid multi inch thick wood but that's still Just a idea...

As far as room and access goes. It's a new house for us so I'm staking my claim to a big room early...

Never thought of using wheels, I don't think I'd like it moving at all.
yeah, i wouldn't be too keen on the wheels. i can see the bench moving with every downstroke of the press handle. but, as others have said....it's your bench, build it how you want.

I'm debating between a side/back mount or raising it up with either the Lee mount or blocking it. Need to get it first (and to see it in person to see how it really feels) to get a feel for the hight and combo with a chair... I was also thinking of a overhang of some sort out of solid multi inch thick wood but that's still Just a idea...

As far as room and access goes. It's a new house for us so I'm staking my claim to a big room early...

Claiming space....... hahahhahaha

I bolted mine to a 3x3 night stand that I no longer use and have 5k of bullets to weigh it down in the drawers. I would recommend as other have posted to not have the bench move IE the last post from icyclefar has a nice table but I would remove those wheels.

Best bang for your money would build your own with a few 2x4s. You can make it as wide or slim as you want it and would be more stronger and durable than harbor freight stuff.

I have my reloading on a nightstand and a separate work bench for gun cleaning /work etc. You can do that too as another option.

Just curious, what is the actual problem with a moving bench? Is it that the cases will move around and hit the botton of the die? Or is it more of a workability thing?

IMO, you could make a nice rolling bench yourself that was stable. I've made lots of heavy duty all steel 1" top plate welding benches on quality casters that are awesome and rock solid when you lock the wheels. The issue is construction and price, not that it's on wheels.

Most of the wheeled benches you will buy have the shitiest construction and castors available. This makes them light and wobbly. The worst combination for reloading.

My uncle used to have a rolling tool box/bench/feed table. I really don't know how it worked but he maid it to drop onto the ground when in use and lift up when not. I don't remember any special hardware and it was all made from wood.
The free plans for the NRMA reloading bench are pretty good.
I built a 1/3 length version to fit my space.
The problem with rolling or light benches is the constant moving of the press arm will shake and move the bench. Depending on how you have stuff located will shake things off shelves eventually.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom