Role of Judges: On Capitol Hill, The Stephen and Nino Show Wows 'Em

For a legal junkie like me, the following video of Justice Scalia and Breyer is awesomesauce. Not only a great insight on to what the two of them feel is the proper role of the judiciary, but the banter between the two of them shows that the barbs are left in the opinions.

On Capitol Hill, The Stephen and Nino Show Wows 'Em

By Andrew Cohen

They came. They kibbitzed. They tossed out fluffy platitudes about judicial restraint and constitutional boundaries. They patiently humored their eager hosts on the Senate Judiciary Committee. They were yet again the smartest guys in the room. Justices Antonin Scalia and Stephen Breyer, graying veterans of hundreds of "What's the Judiciary Like?" speeches off the Court, sure gave good witness Wednesday when they came to Capitol Hill to tell lawmakers more about "The Role of Judges Under the Constitution of the United States."

http://www.theatlantic.com/national...ill-the-stephen-and-nino-show-wows-em/246216/

Video of the event; Scalia's take on how Americans generally fail to attempt to understand the Constitution and how a constitution is nothing without enforcement. The whole video is awesome, but if you can't watch all two and half hours, watch Scalia starting at 17:30. You realize how much of a genius he is.

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/RoleofJ

Some wonderful nuggets of wisdom there...

I too think we are at/well past a breaking point in the complexity/volume of the law. Ignorance of it is not only an excuse for a "reasonable person," but anyone who is not at least vaguely ignorant of the law has likely only studied it in an attempt to exploit it. [laugh] [sarcasm=5.4]

Thanks for the links.

Oh, and check out 1:06 if you want to see Dianne Feinstein make an ass out herself--on a very basic point that even a 1st year law student is aware of.

Oh, and check out 1:06 if you want to see Dianne Feinstein make an ass out herself--on a very basic point that even a 1st year law student is aware of.

I need eye bleach and another four minutes of my life to remember instead of that dribble. I still can NOT believe that she is an elected official, over and over again.

Thanks for the link it was great watching I hope the students in the gallery learned something about our future.

take care!

Back
Top Bottom