Roger's Blog (not Nickle, different Roger)

Nickle said:
http://rbombard.blog.uvm.edu/

Interesting read,a blog by one of our local Army Guard Soldiers, serving in Iraq.

Apparently, not all the soldiers think like Tank does:

meanwhile I felt the anger surge in me being reminded again that I could not be in New Orleans helping my fellow Americans who needed it, that instead I was here pushing George Bush’s private agenda. I kept this to myself, as I wished that Bush could be exiled to Iraq and we could return home.

I feel for both of them. That being said, she's not the only wife dealing with her husband being in Iraq. I'm damn sure Mrs. Tank feels the same way, but look at her past posts...no whinning there. I'm sure it's hard as hell on her, and on Tank, being away from each other.

I'm not knocking guardsmen (my brother was one during Viet Nam time frame), but if he wasn't prepared to go to war if called, he shouldn't have volunteered for the Guards. He was probably called out of a decent job with good bennies and a decent pay check....ergo, hostility towards the President.

I'm sure there's a few of them like this guy over there, but the vast majority of them are like Tank....and I know I haven't said it lately Tank, but THANK YOU!!!! Come home safe, dearheart.

she's not the only wife dealing with her husband being in Iraq. I'm damn sure Mrs. Tank feels the same way, but look at her past posts...no whinning there. I'm sure it's hard as hell on her, and on Tank, being away from each other.

I've been away for a while. I've had some things to deal with. My response to wives, girlfriends, and mothers that do nothing but whine and complain that their soldier got deployed is that the person voluntarily signed on the dotted line vowing that they would defend this country and go to war if necessary.

I try to stay out of the debate of whether we should have gone to Iraq in the first place or not. There are always two sides to everything, and neither side has to be completely right. However, I do feel VERY strongly that at this point we are going on 3 years (I think) into this, and what started it all doesn't matter. We are in this, we have lost good people, and we'd better finish what we started so that people didn't die for nothing. I knew I was marrying a soldier. We got married 2 months after 9/11. I knew that it was likely that Tank would be going off to fight in some capacity. Therefore, no matter how hard it is to have had him gone for half of the years that we've been married, I'm proud to be able to say that he's doing what he feels is right. Yes, the days are often long and lonely, but to give up a few years of my life for someone else to have a chance at freedom is the least I can do.

We are looking at the possibility of a third deployment. Yes, the possibility of being alone for another Christmas, and getting through another winter by myself isn't ideal. However, we've got our whole lives ahead of us, and if it frees up one father to be able to be home with his children, out of harms way, then it's worth it. If it helps to open up possibilities for the children of Iraq, then it's worth it. So I put up and deal and dream of the days we'll still have ahead of us when at last Tank's job is done, and he returns to me.

Now that I've written a novel, I thank you for giving me the chance to express my feelings.

Sweetheart, you just brought a lump to my throat, and you make me damn proud to know you - at least thru this forum. <HUGS>

Mrs. Tank, Thank you for your sacrifice too. You share alot of my sentiments. We knew when Alan signed and raised his right hand it was not if he would deploy, but when he would deploy. We also made sure he knew that too before he did raise his right hand. I have no sympathy to the wives or mothers that whine and cry. They knew that their soldier always has the possibilty of deploying at anytime,for any reason. When I was active duty I saw so many wives ruin their husbands careers. Maybe I have a better understanding,because I was in when I married Glenn and knew what was expected. Sounds like you know too Mrs. Tank and I commend you for that.
You know the saying we take care of our own,if there is anything you need make sure you let us know.

MrsTank said:
I try to stay out of the debate of whether we should have gone to Iraq in the first place or not. There are always two sides to everything, and neither side has to be completely right. However, I do feel VERY strongly that at this point we are going on 3 years (I think) into this, and what started it all doesn't matter. We are in this, we have lost good people, and we'd better finish what we started so that people didn't die for nothing. I knew I was marrying a soldier. We got married 2 months after 9/11. I knew that it was likely that Tank would be going off to fight in some capacity. Therefore, no matter how hard it is to have had him gone for half of the years that we've been married, I'm proud to be able to say that he's doing what he feels is right. Yes, the days are often long and lonely, but to give up a few years of my life for someone else to have a chance at freedom is the least I can do.

We are looking at the possibility of a third deployment. Yes, the possibility of being alone for another Christmas, and getting through another winter by myself isn't ideal. However, we've got our whole lives ahead of us, and if it frees up one father to be able to be home with his children, out of harms way, then it's worth it. If it helps to open up possibilities for the children of Iraq, then it's worth it. So I put up and deal and dream of the days we'll still have ahead of us when at last Tank's job is done, and he returns to me.

Now that I've written a novel, I thank you for giving me the chance to express my feelings.

Tank is one hell of a lucky guy. I only know you from your posts, but you're a hell of a lady from what you write. I hope he comes home to you safe and sound.

Ross

I have trouble doing the quotes with the tag of who wrote them...

So I'll just say thanks to all of you.

Please keep me/us in your thoughts and prayers over the next couple of weeks. My truck died on my way home from church on Sunday, and I have no idea what's wrong with it. My landlords (aka, in-laws) told me to get the furnace fixed myself, and take it out of what I owe them for rent, which I already was planning on not paying to get the truck fixed. And we were planning on them having to move our oil tank to put in a basement this summer, which never happened, so I also need a full delivery of K-1. I know it will work out, it's just a bit trying and frustrating.

Hopefully my new Mary Kay business will pick up quickly so that I can start contributing to the family finances again.

Thanks for listening!

Ross;

You are very right! I am the luckiest man alive!!! When I first met my wife I knew she was someone very speacial, I stil wonder why she chose me! I am just thankful she did :D

I can not begin to tell you what it means to me to know that I have a wonderful wife at home that loves me and supports me as Holly does. There are many times when I get down or just think I can not take it anymore, all I have to do is think of Holly and I am lifted up and ready for more. I wish that every soldier could find a wife (or husband) as supportive and loving as mine. It is the very reason I have the drive to do what I do.

Back
Top Bottom