Rod and Gun Club of New Bedford USPSA match Sunday

The title says most of it. The ranges are looking great and we're ready to rock. This will be the first match of our first full season (the forth Sunday of every month). This match has been a long time in coming and we're excited to be an 'USPSA' club. We'll have three field courses (28 to 32 rounds each) and a classifier. The match will begin at 9:30 am and Fred V. will be handling registration and squadding. We hope to see our old friends and some new competitors too!

The title says most of it. The ranges are looking great and we're ready to rock. This will be the first match of our first full season (the forth Sunday of every month). This match has been a long time in coming and we're excited to be an 'USPSA' club. We'll have three field courses (28 to 32 rounds each) and a classifier. The match will begin at 9:30 am and Fred V. will be handling registration and squadding. We hope to see our old friends and some new competitors too!

I'm looking forward to it. See you Sunday.

-Cuz.

I'm driving 120 miles each way to make it out on Sunday so I'm hoping for a fun match. I've never been to this range and I'm looking forward to a new place to shoot.

Pete

I'm driving 120 miles each way to make it out on Sunday so I'm hoping for a fun match. I've never been to this range and I'm looking forward to a new place to shoot.

Pete

Ha Ha, only 25-30 minutes for me. Just like the match, my time is only a fraction of yours [rofl]

It is worth the trip. They've carved out some really cool bays in New Bedford. I'm waiting for one stage that uses the two bays in the corner. It coule be like one at the last World Shoot.

Pete

The range is alright. I'm a member there! They have a 50, 100 yard rifle range. And around 5 or so "pistol-pockets". It can get a little muddy if it has rained, but on a beautiful day its a great place. You can have your own privacy if your on the pistol range, which is great because you rarely have to worry about other people being stupid. The only crappy thing (at least for myself) is that you have to make and bring your own target frame. I have a compact honda civic so as you can imagine it is a blast to fit that 6ft frame in there.

Ha Ha, only 25-30 minutes for me. Just like the match, my time is only a fraction of yours [rofl]

It is worth the trip. They've carved out some really cool bays in New Bedford. I'm waiting for one stage that uses the two bays in the corner. It coule be like one at the last World Shoot.

Hey at least I hit what I'm aiming at....

steve, i'm right down the street from you this week, in north attleboro, if you're taking that car tomorrow, please call me and i'll meet you at your house

are you sure?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39VLUYel3xU

just playing with you. :)

Hey, I never even aimed at that target... LOL

I wasn't able to make it today which totally sucks. My wifes family had a party last night for her grandfather and I didn't get home until 2am this morning. I woke up at 5:45 when my alarm went off and it wasn't happening. Guess I'm waiting till Westfield next weekend.

Let the rants begin.... HAHA

no need for rants for not making it Pete, you're 120 miles away, thats a long drive.
For like the past 7 or 8 years of doing scores for Manville, I've seen the address of everyone who attends, the radius of people to travel to matches is generally 100 miles or less, with the majority not coming from over 75 miles away.
You have the rare exceptions who do travel further, but thats a very small number of people. i'd say less than 10 at any given match. I believe up until area 7 you'll see people travel further because the Area is coming up and it's so close to us this year, then everything will get back to normal.

It's a shame there isn't another club out your way on the same weekend, like there is with the Bass River/Westfield weekend, so you and whoever else is way out on that side of the state could go to something like within 50 miles, especially with the price of gas going up. You'll probably see a decrease in attendance at matches due to travel costs also, or an increase in car pooling.

But back to the topic of New Bedford-
like John said, you missed a good one.
high round count, and very challenging, it was high on the difficulty scale. I'd imagine you'll see a huge spread in the scores from those of us who have been doing this 3 years or more and the newer people, more so than normal.

The folks at NB did a great job with those stages. They were tough. It was hard to feel comfortable on any of them. I don't remember stages seeing more challenging stages at a local match, yet there were no really far targets. They were just well thought out. I shot like crap, I wish I could have attacked harder and more confidently.

It was a great match today. The stages were incredible. I can't remember ever shooting a match like it. The stages had the feeling of a big time match with lots to think about. Thanks to the NB crew for hosting it.
But, I do have one question. Please explain to me how some of you avoided going thru the cooper tunnel without getting a penalty? I thought you couldn't leave the "zone" that was defined in the stage, but some of you left it, and even fired from outside of it. None of those actions incurred procedurals??? I'm not trying to start trouble, I'm just trying to learn.
-Cuz.

But, I do have one question. Please explain to me how some of you avoided going thru the cooper tunnel without getting a penalty? I thought you couldn't leave the "zone" that was defined in the stage, but some of you left it, and even fired from outside of it. None of those actions incurred procedurals??? I'm not trying to start trouble, I'm just trying to learn.
-Cuz.

There wasn't anything in the written stage brief that forbid leaving the free fire zone, the only instruction we recieved was there was only one entrance.
Steve and I took the hard shot on the small hidden plate so that we wouldn't have to go through the tunnel, saving an extra stop and possibly incurring penalties for knocking off the wood. it didn't really pay off for us. STeve need extra shots and I was to busy patting myself on the back for getting it on the first shot and forgot to shoot the next steel before leaving and had to make another stop

Steve was in the free fire zone before he engaged the targets on the right. it was close, when I slowed down the video he was in

Oh, yeah it was close when I engaged those targets on the far right but we're racing, you have to to hit those right when you have one foot entering the box and the other up so you don't waste a step or get too far past and break the 180.

I would have gone throught the tunnel had I a chance to do it over again.

Thanks for the explanation. After watching the video a few times Steve's run sure was close. Definitely shooting on the edge. This was one of those matches where I really wanted to shoot each stage a 2nd time after running thru it once. I didn't shoot a clean stage all day. I have nowhere to go but up...

-Cuz.

I want to thank everybody that attended the match. We've received great feedback and only had to send out a couple of 'get well soon' cards due to the 'Port Stage' [wink].

I also want to thank all the guys that picked up the timer to RO and score during the match so that the match staff (meaning us) could shoot.

I know I speak for all the guys when I say I especially want to thank all the competitors that helped knock down the stages and carry all manner of props to our trailer at the end of the match. You guys do not know how much that is appreciated.

The only hitch we had yesterday was starting a little later than 9:30. Otherwise things seemed to run smoothly. Hopefully we'll have all our new swingers and poppers ready to go for the next match. Hmmm...

We're looking foward to the rest of the season and seeing you all next month on Sunday, the 25th of May.

Back
Top Bottom