Rock Island Armory VR80

The rail is about .25" higher than an AR rail, so if you replace the stock, you may want a riser. I use one (not pictured). I found the right side safety selector digs into my hand. I've reversed it 180 degrees (as seen) and it's no longer an issue. I added a magwell and compensator. I've actually never shot it without the comp so not sure how much it helps. I would have gotten the large brake (from AT) but heard it messes with shot pattern. It's also heavy, and not sure I wanted a huge weight hanging off the end of the barrel.

It takes some break in to get it to cycle lower velocity rounds. After though, it cycles just fine with regular 1200 fps Federal bulk.

I have a 19, and some 12 and 10 round magazines. The 19 does quite function 100%. Occasionally a shell must catch, deforming the end enough to not chamber. I wonder if some higher quality shells would fix this. But it's not all the time. The magazine shown is a 12 rounder, which is a 9-rounder body with a Taylor Freelance extension. Without the extension, if you cut down the magazine spring guide, it will now hold 10. All my 10 and 12 rounders seem to function 100%. I attached belt clips to the magazines from dissident arms.

The magazines do have a bolt hold tab. This is apart of the follower and sticks out a cutout in the top of the magazine when empty. This causes empty magazines to not drop free (as it pushes against the inside of the magazine well when empty. It can however be removed/disabled. Doing so will allow empty magazines to drop free but not lock the bolt back. So it's a trade off. I will say however, with the 19-round magazine, because of the curve, if you don't remove/disable the tab, it likes to prevent the follower from moving freely and can hang up, causing it to not feed the next round. Once removed, I no longer had that issue.

The gun came with two 5 round magazines. One of the two I got, the body was so out of spec it wouldn't even fit in the magwell. After sanding down the outside I could sort of fight it in. No matter, it wouldn't feed. I took it apart and kept the follower and base pad as spares.

With the Holosun 510c on it, man, is it easy to shoot.

IMG_4176.jpg

I was thinking I might add one little point about breaking this gun down.... I learned the hard way last night.... I'm sporting a pretty good hole in my thumb today. When I was pulling the pins to remove the upper receiver from the lower, the bolt was locked open. As soon as I lifted the upper slightly, the bolt released ........ oooooooouch ...... my thumb was just inside the chamber and the extractor made it's way allll the way into the meat of my thumb!! I didn't realize it at first, just thought I got pinched, but since I couldn't pull my thumb out .... I realized something bad happened... hehehe, it's just a little hole, sure did hurt once the numbness wore down.. But I'll survive to shoot another days! Slapped a couple bandaids on, good as new ... and so goes the learning curve...

Can't wait for this evening, 25 degrees and I'm going to shoot some trap with it!!

Last edited:
Anyone have any info on any shops with these in stock. What has been the going rate for you guys that have purchased one? Been looking for one since I found this thread....lol

It's Ma compliant...

Not sure of what aftermarket parts are available, pretty sure there is. Haven't searched, but sure there is. Just don't have a need for anything yet. I know standard AR parts fit, Already put a butt stock and pistol grip on it... planning on a red dot.. next
I was talking replacement stock parts in case something broke..I thought I put my email in my other post. Here it is. I really hope they do.... awesome looking gun. Then again if something breaks any decent gunsmith can fix it I’m sure.
Good day!

Unfortunately, we don't offer yet parts or accessories in VR80.

Thank you,
Jennie
Customer Service Agent
Armscor USA
Rock Island Armory
Advanced Tactical​

I just got this shotgun. Haven't had a chance to test it, but the reviews are favorable.

apHcd8O.jpg

I just got this shotgun. Haven't had a chance to test it, but the reviews are favorable.

apHcd8O.jpg
Awesome Shotgun, Is it MASS Compliant? I was looking at the RIA VR60 but I was told it wasn't MA Compliant because it was semi auto with a detachable magazine and a Pistol grip. They said the VR80 was compliant because technically it is a thumbhole stock. I saw your shotgun for sale online but again thought it wasn't compliant. Anyone have a definative answer? Mass sucks!

Awesome Shotgun, Is it MASS Compliant? I was looking at the RIA VR60 but I was told it wasn't MA Compliant because it was semi auto with a detachable magazine and a Pistol grip. They said the VR80 was compliant because technically it is a thumbhole stock. I saw your shotgun for sale online but again thought it wasn't compliant. Anyone have a definative answer? Mass sucks!

I don't live in Mass so I don't know.

Dealer in ma has a vr60 in stock today for sale. I just ordered a vr80 going to same dealer. He offered me the vr60 if I was interested but I preferred the vr80 so I am getting that one. As of today the vr60 still there.

Hello All,
New here. Have a heck of a shotgun delima and this seems like the place to be.
Anyone on here own a Rock Island VR 60?

Hello All,
New here. Have a heck of a shotgun delima and this seems like the place to be.
Anyone on here own a Rock Island VR 60?
Online reviews have the vr80 being better then the vr60 so unless theres a specific reason you want the vr60 I would go with the vr80. I really like mine

Well, I chose the VR60 because I like the looks and the shorter length. I've fired both and the guts are nearly identical. I also like both of them, I just like the looks of the VR60 more and to me (just personal preference) the VR80 feels like a goose gun.

Attachments

• 20200311_105217.jpg
    20200311_105217.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 24
I should've also mentioned that I have every Mossberg in every configuration available, I wanted a short, stocky shotgun just because I have so many "long"ones already. Not knocking the VR80 in any way shape or form.

I should've also mentioned that I have every Mossberg in every configuration available, I wanted a short, stocky shotgun just because I have so many "long"ones already. Not knocking the VR80 in any way shape or form.

I haven't try shooting goose ... but my VR80 shoots trap pretty damn respectably!! I take it you must have the KSG ....

The VR60 is just shorter, to me it's just feels a bit quicker when I shoot skeet, easier to swing around. I like the VR80, just a bit too long for my taste.

In fact, the VR60 comes with 2 recoil pads, the standard recoil absorbing type and the flat hard one. In my never ending quest for the shortest shotgun ot there, I replaced the shock absorber with the flat hard one.

Looking at adding some mags to the inventory. Any suggestions? That 20rd drum looks ridiculous. And then it doesn't... (too bad in MA)

I have the 9 round mags and several of the 5 rounders. they have a piece that allows you to load 2 (maybe 3) additional rounds in your 5 rounders.

So I’ve decided I want to pick one of these up after finding out the Citadel RSS1 has been discontinued. Probably should have been my first choice between the two to begin with. Anyway I saw they have a white/black version and it’s the first time I can actually say I want something other than black. Trying to find one is like searching for unicorns though it seems. Anyone out there seen one for sale in a local shop by chance?

Don’t mean to bring this back from the dead, but I finally have some spare cash.
anyone know of a shop that has one??

They're going for double MSRP on auction sites like Gunbroker and are unobtanium pretty much anywhere else. Best bet is a private sale or ordering one through a FFL.

Back
Top Bottom