• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rock Island Armory VR80

FWIW, my two cents is RIA is a solid company that sells solid products at a very reasonable price. What more could you ask for? Good warranty policy, etc. If this platform interests you, GO FOR IT! ENJOY!! Nice Christmas present for yourself.

FWIW, my two cents is RIA is a solid company that sells solid products at a very reasonable price. What more could you ask for? Good warranty policy, etc. If this platform interests you, GO FOR IT! ENJOY!! Nice Christmas present for yourself.

That’s the plan, just wondering if anyone had any feedback on these yet. Also, does emperor healey know about these

This is my personal review and the issues Ive had with this weapon. Last week, I purchased the Rock Island VR 80. At first look, I thought, this weapon has such great potential and could be a good weapon. Next , I thought who in their right mind would put such a goofy looking stock on this weapon. So I decided , that I had to do something about it. I did some research online and found out this weapon has a commercial buffer stock and standardized grip. So with that in mind, I decided to remove this hideous stock. Luckily, I had some left over commercial stock and handgrip. With two bolts, this finger hold California importer looking stock was off and my spare parts on.
The next day, I just had to shoot it. Reluctantly, in disappointment it wouldn’t function correctly out of the box. Immediately, I called the manufacture which they said it needed to have a break in period. Big hog wash!! That’s crazy!! Never , in my lifetime have I broke in a weapon. Be mindful, I did follow the general rule of lubing a weapon prior to shooting. Which is expected and only is needed straight out of the box. After my first shot failed it to extract and load the second round. Strangely , I immediately thought this has a gassing issue. Which I’ve experienced with many suppressed rifles. Instead of returning it to the manufacture for several weeks, I decided to tear it down for further diagnosis. Ironically, I found out this weapon doesn’t have anything that I have seen. This rifle did have a gas system which looks like a direct injected gas system that expends gasses directly from the barrel into a sleeve bushing system. Which pushes the bolt back. Which you find out when you have the bolt to the rear and you hear an annoying rattling sound.
After tear down and close inspection it appeared from the factory these holes were never cleared therefore caused the problem. To remedy the problem, I took a small punch and removed all of the milling debris. Which did open up all the holes. It appears due to all of the debris, it wasn’t allowing all of the gas into the sleeve and not cycling the bolt correctly. Unfortunately, i feel this could be potentially a problem if not cleaned properly. After a good strip down of all components and degreasing of this weapon it finally fired and cycled properly. I also polished the feed ramp which it too was a problem. I found it helped and prevented the rounds from becoming jammed when cycling rounds from the magazine and into the chamber. I’ve attached the before and after picks of my rifle with the standard commercial AR parts which does fit this rifle.

Attachments

• CAD91BC5-E546-4E88-9411-3B5E06F5D7E4.jpeg
    CAD91BC5-E546-4E88-9411-3B5E06F5D7E4.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Thanks for writing up that review, I’ve also been interested in one of these. Welcome to NES.

It would def help (us and you) if you used a little more attention to detail before hitting the “post reply” button so it reads more sensibly.

How long was your wait time to receive this and have you done any more shooting with it since that first excursion?

Thanks for writing up that review, I’ve also been interested in one of these. Welcome to NES.

It would def help (us and you) if you used a little more attention to detail before hitting the “post reply” button so it reads more sensibly.

How long was your wait time to receive this and have you done any more shooting with it since that first excursion?
Not long and sorry next time I will use a computer verses an iPhone. It just makes it really hard to track my errors on such a little screen.

Since my problems I’ve shot 2 3/4 buck shot and slugs. Also 15 rounds of 3” buck shots. Totaling about 50 rounds and yet to have a problem. Just last week , I have received the 9 round magazines. Which I found on the manufacture website.
https://advancedtactical.com/products/
Which they do have them in stock.

Not long and sorry next time I will use a computer verses an iPhone. It just makes it really hard to track my errors on such a little screen.

Thanks. No apologies needed, a lot of us use our phones to post, just takes an extra minute or so to double check it all. If it’s at least somewhat legible it can garner more attention and replies as opposed to people looking at an eye headache and just skipping over it to the next thread.

Keep us up to date on that shotgun as you shoot it more. Thanks again.

This is my personal review and the issues Ive had with this weapon. Last week, I purchased the Rock Island VR 80. At first look, I thought, this weapon has such great potential and could be a good weapon. Next , I thought who in their right mind would put such a goofy looking stock on this weapon. So I decided , that I had to do something about it. I did some research online and found out this weapon has a commercial buffer stock and standardized grip. So with that in mind, I decided to remove this hideous stock. Luckily, I had some left over commercial stock and handgrip. With two bolts, this finger hold California importer looking stock was off and my spare parts on.
The next day, I just had to shoot it. Reluctantly, in disappointment it wouldn’t function correctly out of the box. Immediately, I called the manufacture which they said it needed to have a break in period. Big hog wash!! That’s crazy!! Never , in my lifetime have I broke in a weapon. Be mindful, I did follow the general rule of lubing a weapon prior to shooting. Which is expected and only is needed straight out of the box. After my first shot failed it to extract and load the second round. Strangely , I immediately thought this has a gassing issue. Which I’ve experienced with many suppressed rifles. Instead of returning it to the manufacture for several weeks, I decided to tear it down for further diagnosis. Ironically, I found out this weapon doesn’t have anything that I have seen. This rifle did have a gas system which looks like a direct injected gas system that expends gasses directly from the barrel into a sleeve bushing system. Which pushes the bolt back. Which you find out when you have the bolt to the rear and you hear an annoying rattling sound.
After tear down and close inspection it appeared from the factory these holes were never cleared therefore caused the problem. To remedy the problem, I took a small punch and removed all of the milling debris. Which did open up all the holes. It appears due to all of the debris, it wasn’t allowing all of the gas into the sleeve and not cycling the bolt correctly. Unfortunately, i feel this could be potentially a problem if not cleaned properly. After a good strip down of all components and degreasing of this weapon it finally fired and cycled properly. I also polished the feed ramp which it too was a problem. I found it helped and prevented the rounds from becoming jammed when cycling rounds from the magazine and into the chamber. I’ve attached the before and after picks of my rifle with the standard commercial AR parts which does fit this rifle.

Do you have picture of the cleaning you have done in order to get your VR80 functioning correctly. I have two customers who bought guns from me and they are both having the same issues. Shot Federal 00 Buck @ 1290fps and some bird at 1300fps, bit 1oz shot, always jams.. Suggestions?

Do you have picture of the cleaning you have done in order to get your VR80 functioning correctly. I have two customers who bought guns from me and they are both having the same issues. Shot Federal 00 Buck @ 1290fps and some bird at 1300fps, bit 1oz shot, always jams.. Suggestions?
I fixed my issue too like Davocop except I have the vr60 version. I bought the gun and once I received it reluctantly out of the box like davocop. But it would failed to feed, eject and battery is some form or another 50-70% of the time. I did fix my issue a week later though. Like Davocop, my insticts were telling me that it was an issue with not enough gas pressure build up to force the BCG back so I dissasembled the gun but that was ONLY one part of the problem. As I was following the manual to dissasemble, I noticed an extreme excess of anti rust liquid on the inside of the gun and so this was if I had to guess 50% of the problem. There shouldn't be so much anti rusting grease all over this gun but since they are originally shipped from Turkey and over to your local FFL dealer or online dealer, I can somewhat see the reason for it. But I'm telling you, if you so happen to be one of the unlucky ones to have an issue with this platform. Then I'm going to say it's 50% of the time an excess anti rusting grease issue which will interfere with the gas buildup issue on the gas piston that cycles the gas build up through that side gas port hole in the BCG where it travels through and out to push the BCG back like Davocop somewhat describes. There is only one hole that I see for this on this platform. So I dissasembled it up to the point where you reach the to dissasemble the buttstock because it's unnecessary unless you have a problem with the trigger group. And EVERYTHING needed to be cleaned because it was engulfed in this anti rust coating. After thoroughly cleaning the gun, especially the gas piston and gas cycling port hole on the bolt, I took a small shopvac to the bolt, hole and all parts of the gun to make sure no debris was in there potentially blocking off the proper functionality of it. And also as you reassemble the barrel, make sure you push the barrel far back as possible to make it look flush with the chamber. Then hold it there and take the barrel retaining nut and screw it on TIGHTLY. I believe mine was actually slightly loose so this was another culprit too. After you cleaned and reassembled it properly, put a very little amount in the chamber rail and on the bolt. Smuther it with yiur finger around the bolt and make sure you don't get it into that hole for safe measurements. Then rack the BCG back several times to make sure the BCG and buffer spring is running smoothly. Now test out your gun. In my opinion, make sure you use 1 1/8 OZ of load minum until you break in the gun in order for you to possibly use a lighter load. In my opinion, 1 1/4 OZ of load should be minimum. The round has to be 2 3/4" in length minimum also. For slugs, it's mandatory to switch over to the heavy load piston. I also broke in the mags a little bit by keeping them a little warm and being a little rough with them temporarily. After all this, I was able to shoot my Aguila buckshot rounds flawlessly and rapidly like an ar15 without any failure to battery, feed or eject. It functions as intended now and I'm glad I saved myself from shipping it to RIA to have them try and fix it because I don't think they would actually know how to fix it since these platform models are sadly being shipped and sold as "new" with functionality problems. So here is what I can say to those that may be having problems with the Vr60, Vr80 or even the Vr100: It's 25% of using the wrong cartridge specs, 25% gas pressure build up blockage and 50% dirty gun. I believe all can be remedied from my post. Your manual should tell you how to dissasemble to begin.

And FYI, this gun is really picky about training rounds and clearly states that it only really accepts, "high quality ammunition." Training rounds usually aren't high quality. Since it says, "must shoot a minimum of 50 rounds before using lighter loads," It may just be about breaking in your gun until it accepts training round a little more easily.

Last edited:
This looks like something I might need. Is the pic rail part of the upper, or attached?

ETA
The parts listing in the manual calls out the rail as being part of the upper receiver.

Last edited:
It's my new fun gun!! While poking around Culverine Firearms last week .... I couldn't help but notice one of these VR80's in the rack.. Thought it was a 308 at first.. Since I really haven't been looking for any other platforms that can't be used on the Trap field, wasn't really interested in looking at it. But when I asked Walt if it was a 308, he responded with ... no, it's a 12 ga shotgun.. Hmmmmm, let's have a look I say. Almost immediately upon picking it up, I liked it. After playing with it a little bit... I thought to myself, "wonder if I can shoot trap with it" ... fast forward to Sunday morning.. I break it out at the trap range ... it was cold and really windy ... the kind of day, you'd be happy to shoot an 18 ... well, 2 rounds later I shot a 15 and a 17.... it was a blast and easy as pie to shoot. Now, mind you, I was only loading 1 round at a time, of #7.5 1oz rounds, never cleaned or did anything to the gun out of the box, it wasn't cycling the round out of the chamber. Which really made it like a pump shotgun, perfect for what I was doing. But after the 1st round, it did spit out the empty shell most of the time.

I've got several mags loaded up with OO buck Fiocchis ... we'll see how it runs next time at the range. I did a partial breakdown of the gun yesterday, it was pretty simple and very similar to the AR platform, other than the gas system .... I'm really liking this gun.. weather permitting.. I'll hit the range today at lunch time.

Do they offer parts for this gun yet? I contacted them a little while ago and they said no parts were available.

It's Ma compliant...

Not sure of what aftermarket parts are available, pretty sure there is. Haven't searched, but sure there is. Just don't have a need for anything yet. I know standard AR parts fit, Already put a butt stock and pistol grip on it... planning on a red dot.. next

Back
Top Bottom