• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rock Island Armory 1911A1 any good?

johnN

NES Member
i found one of these online for 420.00 shipped to ffl. i have not seen any 1911's below 700 in the 2 shops i go to. are these worth it or should i hold out for a s&w later.

i found one of these online for 420.00 shipped to ffl. i have not seen any 1911's below 700 in the 2 shops i go to. are these worth it or should i hold out for a s&w later.

living in MA that thing may cost you some lawyer fees as well.

That's about the going rate for a new one. They're better than an AO.

EC was kind enough to hand me his RIA in .38 Super and two mags. It was dollar for dollar the nicest 1911 I have had the pleasure of shooting. Sure, there are prettier guns, but this one was a solid, accurate shooter. Thing was a laser beam....I'd say: BUY!

Ok so is this MA compliant?

Whether or not it is Mass-compliant has nothing to do with the buyer. The whole Mass compliant crap applies only to licensed dealers. If a dealer is willing to transfer it, you can own it. The only person that can get in trouble is the dealer. With a Class A LTC you can buy ANY handgun legally. Just make sure that you don't have any mags with greater than 10-round capacity that were manufactured after 9/94.

Seriously, this information is posted on this forum at least 1000 times.

Also, not only is the RIA 1911 on the list, it's the first gun on the list. Look it up.

Whether or not it is Mass-compliant has nothing to do with the buyer. The whole Mass compliant crap applies only to licensed dealers. If a dealer is willing to transfer it, you can own it. The only person that can get in trouble is the dealer. With a Class A LTC you can buy ANY handgun legally. Just make sure that you don't have any mags with greater than 10-round capacity that were manufactured after 9/94.

Seriously, this information is posted on this forum at least 1000 times.

Also, not only is the RIA 1911 on the list, it's the first gun on the list.

I know he can own it but he would have to buy it from a MA dealer and not from an out of state dealer. Even if it is on the list it would have to be a MA gun and go through a MA dealer. I can't buy an M&P from a NH dealer and legally bring it to MA.

I can't buy an M&P from a NH dealer and legally bring it to MA.

Of course not. The OP said that he was going to have it shipped to his FFL.

If you could find a Mass dealer that would transfer to you a Springfield XD, a new G36, and an HK 45c, you could buy them and you'd be doing nothing wrong.

The misinformation was you implying that the OP needed a lawyer. That is completely incorrect. More so because the gun is actually on the list.

Ok so is this MA compliant?

OK as of 11-08 approved roster list. if it were a problem shipping to a ffl would result in them not doing a transfer.

i do look up as much as i can before i post. i was mostly looking for opinion's and recommendations. as anyone in mass knows, your address limits your options. want a colt, cant have one.

OK as of 11-08 approved roster list. if it were a problem shipping to a ffl would result in them not doing a transfer.

i do look up as much as i can before i post. i was mostly looking for opinion's and recommendations. as anyone in mass knows, your address limits your options. want a colt, cant have one.

BUY! You will be a happy camper...If not, I get dibs! [cheers]

Of course not. The OP said that he was going to have it shipped to his FFL.

If you could find a Mass dealer that would transfer to you a Springfield XD, a new G36, and an HK 45c, you could buy them and you'd be doing nothing wrong.

The misinformation was you implying that the OP needed a lawyer. That is completely incorrect.

I stand corrected. I miss read his post. I thought he was trying to buy a free state version of a MA gun and have it shipped to him. I just reread it and realized what I did. [wink]

want a colt, cant have one.

You can find them if you're willing to wait and then pay a premium for them. If you don't feel like waiting, you can get the RIA. I have two of them and they run pretty good.

The sights suck and the trigger isn't great, but you can upgrade it a piece at a time.

You can find them if you're willing to wait and then pay a premium for them. If you don't feel like waiting, you can get the RIA. I have two of them and they run pretty good.

The sights suck and the trigger isn't great, but you can upgrade it a piece at a time.

Guess I was having a good day...[wink] Seriously though John - I can't see how you can go wrong. EC's was stock and I was hitting fist sized pieces of wheel and pieces of clay pigeons at quite a distance. The gun just runs. I'm looking for a no-nonsense center-mass .45ACP and this is it. Like EC said, if you need to upgrade chit - you can...

If you and the dealer both know full well that the dealer would be committing a crime by transferring you a certain handgun, yet you agree to have them do it anyway, you could be charged under C. 274 § 7 (conspiracy to commit a crime). Unlikely, yes, and ignorance would probably be an easy defense, but the act is still technically illegal.

Though this is, of course, not at all the situation with this particular gun.

the RIAs have consistantly received excellent reviews (esp the 38 super). I have handled some and the fit and finish were very nice. Not a Colt, but at half the price, it really is a great way to go.
The only issues that I have heard about, and not really an issue per se, is that they will not take just any 1911 mag. So, if you do opt for one of these may want to make sure you get a few mags for it at the same time.

Another great option, if you can find one is the Norinco 1911... If you see one of those grab it immediately!!!

Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

I'm keeping my eyes open for a Rock Island 1911 myself. I'd say buy it, and give me the name of your FFL.

Here's the name of a Mass FFL that will transfer a new RIA to you: ANYONE. It's on the EOPS list.

If you and the dealer both know full well that the dealer would be committing a crime by transferring you a certain handgun, yet you agree to have them do it anyway, you could be charged under C. 274 § 7 (conspiracy to commit a crime). Unlikely, yes, and ignorance would probably be an easy defense, but the act is still technically illegal.

Though this is, of course, not at all the situation with this particular gun.

Yeah and if you both make a lot of noise while you do it, they can get you for disturbing the peace...If you both torture a kitten while you do it, they'll get you for cruelty to animals... ad infinitum...

ETA: Sorry about the snarky responses guys, but have you noticed a trend around here? A new guy comes along with a question about a gun (or one of the very confusing gun laws) and people here (unintentionally I'm sure) find a way to scare the bejesus out of the guy with incorrect interpretations of the law, or by manufacturing possible conspiracy theories that could get the guy in trouble.

Is the goal here to scare people away from firearms ownership? I don't know the OP - he could've gotten his license yesterday and this will be his first gun, or he could've been one of Ed McGivern's shooting buddies - but pretend you're a newbie and read through this thread, would you come away with a warm fuzzy feeling that you were doing nothing wrong? I wouldn't.

Remember, it is actually legal to own firearms in Mass.

Last edited:
While I agree in principle that we shouldn't be trying to scare the bejeezus out of newbies, it's good to be aware of any potential legal issues. Obviously, the situation jdubois presented here is unlikely/extreme. Besides, you can't get more people to help you change the system unless they're fully aware of how f***ed up it is.

We should also not jump to the immediate conclusion that they always live in mass..
As he shows Gloucester in his tag it is possible that he might live in NH and work in Gloucester. Or he is from RI etc..

Yeah and if you both make a lot of noise while you do it, they can get you for disturbing the peace...If you both torture a kitten while you do it, they'll get you for cruelty to animals... ad infinitum...

ETA: Sorry about the snarky responses guys, but have you noticed a trend around here?

I have and it's getting re-Goddamn-diculous, I'd swear there was a sale on tinfoil hats at Penny's...

Nice.

Can you try not to post what you don't know? That's all I'm asking.

Sorry for the snipe, but I wasn't giving anyone false information. When I don't know the answer to a question, I don't answer it. Or I do, to the best of my ability, with a disclaimer stating my level of possible ignorance. I didn't appreciate your sarcasm directed to my asking for his FFL simply because I didn't understand a part of the law that you're very familiar with. That's all. No hard feelings.

Back
Top Bottom