• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Robbery question..

All for dumbass Solar Panels !

Now if they claimed they were selling an original Mauser C-96....

mauser_c96_broomhandle_9.jpg

[rolleyes]
Off the grid cabin dude! Building up the solar system....

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

So Sat. I went to buy some solar panels, guy give me directions into the middle of fitchburg. I realize as I'm approaching that I'm on a little street in the center of a bad bad area.. Got wife and kids in the truck. Pull over at address, looks abandoned. I get out, look around... 4 guys sitting in a red car... One other guy walks to the sidewalk and stands there looking at me from about 40 yards away, almost like he is waiting to see the show of me getting robbed. I'm getting a bad feeling and dont even want to text the guy to ask him where he is, I get in the truck tell wife I've got a bad feeling and drive away...

The seller might have been legit, but it felt wrong. Question is, if those 4 guys get out, corner me, claim they dont want to hurt me, but they want the $400 in my pocket that they know I brought with me... what to do? They have not threatened me, I had my EDC on me... Do I throw the money to them, do I refuse and tell them to get out of my way and get back to the car and get out? Dial 911 with my left, ready to draw with my right if they approach?

I know the answer depends upon more detailed circumstances, but I guess I'm asking do I have the right prevent theft of my property using deadly force if I am being robbed? What if he then asked for my car keys? I think you get the idea...

Thanks

-Steve

Better question who brings their family to a Craigslist meeting?

So Sat. I went to buy some solar panels, guy give me directions into the middle of fitchburg. I realize as I'm approaching that I'm on a little street in the center of a bad bad area.. Got wife and kids in the truck. Pull over at address, looks abandoned. I get out, look around... 4 guys sitting in a red car... One other guy walks to the sidewalk and stands there looking at me from about 40 yards away, almost like he is waiting to see the show of me getting robbed. I'm getting a bad feeling and dont even want to text the guy to ask him where he is, I get in the truck tell wife I've got a bad feeling and drive away...

The seller might have been legit, but it felt wrong. Question is, if those 4 guys get out, corner me, claim they dont want to hurt me, but they want the $400 in my pocket that they know I brought with me... what to do? They have not threatened me, I had my EDC on me... Do I throw the money to them, do I refuse and tell them to get out of my way and get back to the car and get out? Dial 911 with my left, ready to draw with my right if they approach?

I know the answer depends upon more detailed circumstances, but I guess I'm asking do I have the right prevent theft of my property using deadly force if I am being robbed? What if he then asked for my car keys? I think you get the idea...

Thanks

-Steve

Oh Christ.

To think I used to only have to worry about Copper Gutters and Flashing.

Now they'll be tearing the Panels off my Roof !

Last edited:
Drive away. Don't allow anyone to approach you. Get to a safe place and try to contact the seller. If he can't be reached, it was likely a setup. Use some of the cash for a nice meal on the way home.

Tell him you're sorry you couldn't make it and reschedule. We'll all posse up and head down with you. I'm only two towns away from fitchburg.

Now THAT would be interesting....

And how about getting a confirmed ID for, you know, STOLEN PROPERTY.

Dont know why all the hypotheticals when you did the right thing...

Me neither. OP's story shows great situational awareness and good judgment.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't do Craig's List.

Just don't.

I use Craig's List a lot. #1 rule is stick to "nice" (hat tip bill o) towns.

If you think you might be going somewhere sketchy, use Google Streetview to do a recce.

I use craigslist all the time with good success... I go armed bring a couple buddies and my dog rides shotgun.. If it isn't a big item like a car or something I usually arrange a meet somewhere public with cameras.

Op you did the right thing, noticed a sketchy situation and backed out before it escalated. The what ifs have too many variables but if my family is in the car and I can't get them out without using my sidearm I wouldn't hesitate.

Never get out of the car. Being able to GTF out of there at high speed and having steel with laminated glass around you is a better option.

Like most people here, I've used Craig's for years, this was the first time in hundreds of transactions that didn't feel right... Also like most normal people, I took a detour from a family trip to buy something... Didn't seem like a big deal until I was already there.

You mean gathering the whole family up and going to a Craigslist meeting in the middle of Fitchburg ?

Ya,that is showing great judgement.
It did lead to a lot of discussion with the wife and my 2 boys, things like situational awareness and good/bad judgement. No one got hurt and now we're just running "what if" scenarios dude...

Don't torture your head with what ifs. You did the absolute best thing you could have done.
You didn't like what you saw and GTFO. Very smart.

- - - Updated - - -

A thing I do normally on CL is ask to meet in public busy places.
A business of some sort.
I have also asked to meet buyers at the police department to sell bikes because I thought they were shady. Never heard from them again.

Another one of these stories from someone who carries a gun,but does not have a clue what to do.The first thing you do Steve is send your wife to the address if they go after her take off in the truck with the kids.You just saved the kids,$400,and you didn't have to shoot anyone,

It did lead to a lot of discussion with the wife and my 2 boys, things like situational awareness and good/bad judgement. No one got hurt and now we're just running "what if" scenarios dude...

Sorry,I just find it hard to believe that a man would purposely put his family in a bad situation,then come on the Internet and go over what if's.

What if you didn't have a gun,would you still have done this or would you have used common sense?

I guess I'm asking do I have the right prevent theft of my property using deadly force if I am being robbed?
If you articulate it as using lethal force to prevent theft you will have done the prosecutions work for them.

His family was in the vehicle.

Yup. And they can get out. If we're talking about a planned robbery I'd bet getting them into a car peacefully will likely work. If not, you have a clear shot on them. But the scenario of 4 people approaching one armed guy will never end well. By the time he knows to draw it's too late.

Yup. And they can get out. If we're talking about a planned robbery I'd bet getting them into a car peacefully will likely work. If not, you have a clear shot on them. But the scenario of 4 people approaching one armed guy will never end well. By the time he knows to draw it's too late.

Read the thread posted by Heathen. It's very good.

I'm glad Steve and his family are ok.

I think the people reading this post may learn a little about situational awareness and going with their gut instinct when something isn't right.

No one is perfect and we all are sometimes reminded to keep our guard up.

The number one rule of having a gun is avoiding a gun fight!

Be aware of where you are and what you have control over. If the situation is not in your favor leave it!

You can't plan for everything. But no plan is not a good thing when bad people are around.

Having a fire extinguisher is smart planning. But doing everything to prevent the use of one is a better plan!

Never skip the planning phase!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom