Roast Beast owner: "I'll never open in MA again!"

grey

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
20 or 30 deathtrap apartments on the floors above, with grandfathered minimal egress and life safety,
Think about that.
Yep
If it was a stand alone deli, ah, maybe it would be between the building owner and the ins company if the inspector let it slide. Apartments above, no way. Guy was a douche for going public with his bs

ASHDUMP

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
20 or 30 deathtrap apartments on the floors above, with grandfathered minimal egress and life safety,
Think about that.
So they kick him out..... I get it.

[Post Roast Beast Closing].....Landlord signs a new lease with a small non-profit company who had 4 or 5 employees. One of the employees hooks up one of those little space heaters under their cubicle and burns the place down.... probably ends up being a non-story.

Just saying....

Bt74

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Why do you think we should have great Mexican here? Oh, you think everyone who speaks Spanish is Mexican.

Small fraction of Latinos in Boston are Mexican. PR and Domincan are prob half, and another large percentage from Central America, e.g. Salvador etc.

I think we have very few from Mexico. Try Texas, AZ, and CA for Mexican. Not MA. That's why we have sucky Mexican here.
Most New Englanders wouldn't know what good Mexican is, if it bit them in the ass. There's a place on the Salem NH/ Methuen line, that is MOBBED, Plaza Azteca, that has the worst mexican food I've ever eaten. Taco Bell is more authentic.

grey

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yet, think about how many of those apartments have stoves in them, that people actually cook on! OMGZSSS!!! the hughmanatee!!!! [rofl]

-Mike
True, but whatever inspector witnesses the problem then signs off on the inspection preceeding a nasty fire that puts residents and firefighters in mortal danger may think otherwise.

silversquirrel

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yet, think about how many of those apartments have stoves in them, that people actually cook on! OMGZSSS!!! the hughmanatee!!!! [rofl]

-Mike
Tenants dont cook all day, every day. And they (might or should at least) have hoods over their stoves.
Besides, if the landlord wants to lease to a restaurant, kitchens need a hood.
From the point of view of the fire dept, its not unreasonable at all.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Tenants dont cook all day, every day. And they (might or should at least) have hoods over their stoves.
My point is any one of them could start a cooking fire, too. If the apartments are old and shitty the odds of hoods existing or being
plumbed to the outside are between slim and none. My ex lived in like 4 different apartments, only one of them actually had a hood above the
stove. Hell my stove doesn't even have a hood above it, but I do have an exhaust fan in the kitchen. Plus the restaurant probably at least has a fire
extinguisher.... I am going to guess 50% of the tenants, don't even have one of those in their apartment unless the landlord put it there.

-Mike

zboys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
He closed on his own after being told he was in violation, it's no surprise, every other kitchen cooking for profit needed and installed one, why should he not have to. No sympathy here.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Define "cooking".

I have a family member who owned a pizza shop. His food preparation license did not allow him to "cook", only to heat.

He could not purchase raw meat and cook it. To make hamburger pizza he ran frozen meatballs through the meat grinder and put that on top of the pizza when he put it in the oven.

Why is a hood so important if he's been operating without one for ten years with no issues?
I’ve been running red lights and speeding for years. You can’t charge me now.

Lack of prior prosecution isn’t a defense.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It all comes down to what was going on. Was he truly just toasting bread, and the inspector wrong in claiming to see grease buildup (dust and cobwebs maybe?), or was there actual cooking on the griddles. If the former, then I'm with the owner. If then latter, then good catch inspector.

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
The residential hoods are a joke and will do very little to stop a fire. Yet, that is what everyone has. About the only use is that being made of metal, they won't burn right away. Although, that's not slowing down a big fire very much at all. If you have a pan of oil on the stove and it goes poof, that flame is going beyond the sides of the range hood and burning everything up toot suite. (I know that one from experience, since back when I was around 20 I had to put out a fire in my neighbor's house that was caused by unattended deep frying gone wrong. The range hood did nothing. Half the kitchen was destroyed but I got it out with a garden hose. When the fire truck arrived 10 minutes later, they told me both our houses would have been fully ablaze beyond saving if I hadn't gotten it out immediately. Anyway, my point being the residential range hoods are a joke. )

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I see places serving food all the time have various cooking devices and no hood. The cafe at work has a panini press as well as one of those bagel toasters with the conveyor belt... you know, where you put the bagel in, wait for it to come out the bottom only to get jammed up inside and then catch fire. That kind of toaster. Our cafe does have a hood but it is in a different section where they stir fry stuff.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Most New Englanders wouldn't know what good Mexican is, if it bit them in the ass. There's a place on the Salem NH/ Methuen line, that is MOBBED, Plaza Azteca, that has the worst mexican food I've ever eaten. Taco Bell is more authentic.
Amen. I enjoy going to El Mariachi. But it is NOT authentic Mexican food. If I want authentic Mexican, I can make it at home. I've got 3-4 recipes. Some to die for. Some that will kill you with hardening of the arteries. (One is my Mexico City's gramma's "Mexican lasagna" recipe. Sauce from scratch. Tortillas. Chicken. Cheese. So unhealthy given the amount of tortillas used. But oh so good.)

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He closed on his own after being told he was in violation, it's no surprise, every other kitchen cooking for profit needed and installed one, why should he not have to. No sympathy here.
While I agree the operation was unsafe and a shut down was the right move, there is the fact that ISD, BFD and Health Department plan reviews BEFORE build-out construction to start business all signed off on his kitchen layout. Maybe that was an oversight (of three separate departments), but if they had mentioned back then "Oh, hell no. You need a direct vent hood", he could have at least decided to A) not open this shop, B) priced out the ridiculous expense and logistical nightmare of retrofitting a vent shaft through an existing mixed use building that he doesn't even own, or C) found another location. The way it unfolded, it must have felt like he was set up for failure at the whim of any inspector who didn't like the look on his face that particular day. So I do get part of his point. He was in the wrong, but would have made other decisions if this was pointed out to him before actually opening business.

Obie1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'm actually pretty surprised he made 9 years without them telling him to knock it off. I figured it was some sort of shake-down when I read that he DIDN'T HAVE A HOOD! Ummmm, I'm no restauranteur, but even I know you need one if you are cooking at all. It's not rocket science.

Once in 10 years he gets a "hey, you need this" and he closes up shop???? Sounds like a soy-boy.

Concur on the hood. Disagree on Title V. The sheer number of communities without sewer in MA is staggering. Requiring that new construction and sold-houses comply with modern requirements is a good thing. Plus it protects buyers from buying a house with a 1950's cesspool and having a huge problem.

Not all laws are all bad. And before you say it, AGAIN, we've had multiple NIMBY posts in this board in the last 6 months. Go look at the ones about the power line in Maine or the gas line in NH. NIMBY's gonna NIMBY. People are strict constitutionalists when it suits them and flaming liberals when it suits them. There is no absolute black and absolute white.

Hold on. First, if you put frickin cheese-wiz on a sammich and call it "authentic," you need to have that food removed from your "we're known for our sammich" repertoire. Philly Cheese Steaks are NOT all that and a bag of potato chips (which is an extra $1.50).

And pizza options are BROAD in this area. Short of true Chicago pizza, you can get it all here.

As far as Mexican food - what I find in most establishments is the equivalent of Chinese Food shops. It's not REALLY Mexican food. It's watered-down Amerixan food. You can tell b/c the laminated menus have pictures of the food that were taken in the 80's in LA. And it's the same picture as the last place you went to. Laminated picture menu = mediocre-chinese-food type Mexican restaurant.
Since you've picked my nits a few times, in the spirit of such, there is no "n" in "restaurateur." Why, I don't know.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Well damn you!

restauranteur. restaurateur. Hmmm. Safari doesn't pick either of them up. LOL

I don't mean to pick. I do love a spirited discussion. And I'm the first person who admits when I totally miss something. But I clearly didn't miss the N in restauranteur. ROFL!!!!

Final thought: If only Safari would pick up the teh and hte's on the fly and just fix them for me, life would be great.

Obie1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Well damn you!

restauranteur. restaurateur. Hmmm. Safari doesn't pick either of them up. LOL

I don't mean to pick. I do love a spirited discussion. And I'm the first person who admits when I totally miss something. But I clearly didn't miss the N in restauranteur. ROFL!!!!

Final thought: If only Safari would pick up the teh and hte's on the fly and just fix them for me, life would be great.

I too enjoy a spirited and collegial discussion. That's how we learn. I have become too accustomed to texting autocorrect so I often type i in emails assuming it will become capped, but it's not. I am a frequent victim of Muphry's Law.

Super99Z

NES Member
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I too enjoy a spirited and collegial discussion. That's how we learn. I have become too accustomed to texting autocorrect so I often type i in emails assuming it will become capped, but it's not. I am a frequent victim of Muphry's Law.
I see what you did there, well done!

Jason Flare

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Yeah it’s all “Boo Hoo” until somebody burns a building down.

Should have told him up front, though. The city has people on staff to help small businesses find space and get permits.
I didn’t go into specifics on these three restaurants but two had been in business for about 80 years each with not a single fire.

But sure, it’s all for the greater good if a fire is less likely to spread than it was for the past 80 years.

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
I didn’t go into specifics on these three restaurants but two had been in business for about 80 years each with not a single fire.

But sure, it’s all for the greater good if a fire is less likely to spread than it was for the past 80 years.
I think Boston got religion after those welders burned out part of a block.

To do nothing for 10 years than shut him down IS ridiculous, have to be some logical standards.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Which is a main reason why established restaurants and the bigger players support ever increasing regulations. Squeeze the competition
This is the case in all industries. The government wants a few huge corporations rather than many small businesses, and their regulations are designed to drive out the little guy.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Yeah it’s all “Boo Hoo” until somebody burns a building down.

Should have told him up front, though. The city has people on staff to help small businesses find space and get permits.
Meh, most of it is effluvial statist, one size fits all regulatory bullshit. That said, the guy is a moron for not doing due diligence WRT compliance bullshit, to not ensure you're within the lines well enough to blow past inspection every year means you made a horrible lapse at some point.

If I was going to bet money though this guy knew he was "scraping the regs" and just kept his head down and hoped he wouldn't get tagged for it.

-Mike

mcb

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I think on the Phantom Gourmet recently they showed him cooking steaks on the griddle for the off menu “Prime Rib” sandwich or something. That probably requires a hood.

Roast beef sandwiches are ghetto though, I only eat smoked brisket sandwiches lol.

Top Bottom