Roast Beast owner: "I'll never open in MA again!"

grey

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most if not all small business owners, especially restaurant owners bust their asses and really enjoy the work. I don't doubt that a lot of regulations prohibit small business from starting up.
Which is a main reason why established restaurants and the bigger players support ever increasing regulations. Squeeze the competition

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the building codes DO keep increasing in detail and complexity!
Remember that Title Nine septic system rule, that cost us all about 500 Million dollars to comply with in MA???

i just put in a range hood in a renovation, and had to also provide "make up air" system...costing another $1000 by the time i was done. For what? The house leaks like a sieve already

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey, do they even allow beef in California anymore?
honestly, the food in this state sucks shit. passable pizza is hard to find, almost impossible. Any other attempt to copy east coast food never works. I tried to get a "philly cheesesteak" out of a food truck. Threw it away after like 3 bites.

surprisingly, mexican food here blows too. I'll take Sabroso or Villa Mexico or Tenoch in boston any day over the bland shit here. I assumed a city that's almost half mexican would have good food but apparently they left all the cooks on the other side of the border.

The obsession with avocados here is baffling. like green, flavorless paste-fruit smeared on toast is a breakfast entree....

Dadstoys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
not like down the street, but Courtyard roast beef in newbury is the tits.
If you mean the one at the rotary , it's gone .
He sold it and retired.

I don't blame the roast beast guy for just having enough and chucking it.
This state is so freaking corrupt your getting hit from every side looking for their piece of you.
What are the odds the inspector has a relative or friend in the particular line of work that needs to be done ?

Reactions: TLB

silversquirrel

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Restaurant Kitchen in the basement of an Apartment Bldg on Comm Ave, with no hood? How does that even happen? Im on the side of the FD on that call. Those old buildings are death traps.

NHKevin

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
honestly, the food in this state sucks shit. passable pizza is hard to find, almost impossible. Any other attempt to copy east coast food never works. I tried to get a "philly cheesesteak" out of a food truck. Threw it away after like 3 bites.

surprisingly, mexican food here blows too. I'll take Sabroso or Villa Mexico or Tenoch in boston any day over the bland shit here. I assumed a city that's almost half mexican would have good food but apparently they left all the cooks on the other side of the border.

The obsession with avocados here is baffling. like green, flavorless paste-fruit smeared on toast is a breakfast entree....
Bull. Ever been to Napa? The food there is excellent - world class.

m_n_x

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Restaurant Kitchen in the basement of an Apartment Bldg on Comm Ave, with no hood? How does that even happen? Im on the side of the FD on that call. Those old buildings are death traps.
I work two blocks from there. He didn't cook anything other than some onions to put on the sandwiches. Basically he just sliced cold cuts and made sandwiches, it was definitely not a full kitchen. After nine years somebody just got a hair across their azz... There's a story that his previous business met a bad end as well due to some over zealous enforcement. He sold pot paraphernalia before it was politically correct...

ASHDUMP

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Remember that Title Nine septic system rule, that cost us all about 500 Million dollars to comply with in MA???

i just put in a range hood in a renovation, and had to also provide "make up air" system...costing another $1000 by the time i was done. For what? The house leaks like a sieve already
This is at your house? MUA unit because you put a range hood in your kitchen?

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
If u have a building permit, they are gonna look for it
Well don't do that then. When I lived in MA, I replaced my range hood by going to HD and buying the $20 unit that didn't vent outside (because house didn't come with a vent - stupid I know but most houses are built this way) and called it done.

slap shot

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Even Nick's roast beef has branched out into NH. I believe their earlier problems may have been more of the federal variety however

kurtb

NES Member
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
This guy was on Phantom Gourmet a while back. He seemed to be doing well and enjoying it. Too bad the gov't needs to be up in everyone's sh*t..

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I'm actually pretty surprised he made 9 years without them telling him to knock it off. I figured it was some sort of shake-down when I read that he DIDN'T HAVE A HOOD! Ummmm, I'm no restauranteur, but even I know you need one if you are cooking at all. It's not rocket science.

Once in 10 years he gets a "hey, you need this" and he closes up shop???? Sounds like a soy-boy.

Concur on the hood. Disagree on Title V. The sheer number of communities without sewer in MA is staggering. Requiring that new construction and sold-houses comply with modern requirements is a good thing. Plus it protects buyers from buying a house with a 1950's cesspool and having a huge problem.

Not all laws are all bad. And before you say it, AGAIN, we've had multiple NIMBY posts in this board in the last 6 months. Go look at the ones about the power line in Maine or the gas line in NH. NIMBY's gonna NIMBY. People are strict constitutionalists when it suits them and flaming liberals when it suits them. There is no absolute black and absolute white.

Hold on. First, if you put frickin cheese-wiz on a sammich and call it "authentic," you need to have that food removed from your "we're known for our sammich" repertoire. Philly Cheese Steaks are NOT all that and a bag of potato chips (which is an extra $1.50).

And pizza options are BROAD in this area. Short of true Chicago pizza, you can get it all here.

As far as Mexican food - what I find in most establishments is the equivalent of Chinese Food shops. It's not REALLY Mexican food. It's watered-down Amerixan food. You can tell b/c the laminated menus have pictures of the food that were taken in the 80's in LA. And it's the same picture as the last place you went to. Laminated picture menu = mediocre-chinese-food type Mexican restaurant.

Top Bottom