Road trip to see a Gew98 today...AND PURCHASED! BOLT FIXED

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
The power of the internet...

I am watching a matching 1916 C.G. Haenel Gew98M on g-broker; 9 hours to go, $505. Those who familiar with Gew98s know that the Suhl, Germany, private consortium contract gunmakers are among the rarest of all Gew98s; C.G. Haenel, V. Chr. Schilling, and Sauer and Sohn. There was also a fourth Suhl gunmaker that acted independently at the time, Simson & Co., which is perhaps the rarest of the four.

I emailed the seller as he happens to be in state, but two hours west. I complimented him on the rarity of this rifle, especially as it is matching, and asked if there was a 'subject to local sale' provision. He said not on this rifle, but he had another Gew98 in the shop.

Hmmm; as Gew98s are scarce as hen's teeth in MA, I inquired as to the date and code. He replied a 1916 Simson & Co still in WWI trim with the Lange sight.[shocked] If there is anything rarer than a "Suhl" Gew98 is a Suhl Gew98 still in WWI trim.

ROAD TRIP!

Asking price $450. I'm bringing my Romanian scrub '44DOT K98k as trade bait. I'm all tingly with anticipation.

Last edited:
Theres only one place I know of in Massachusetts that would have 2 rifles like that and know what they are. If its the same place I'm thinking of, you'll spend hours there looking at different stuff.

Theres only one place I know of in Massachusetts that would have 2 rifles like that and know what they are. If its the same place I'm thinking of, you'll spend hours there looking at different stuff.

My wife is coming along for the road trip and lunch at the Cracker Barrel on 495. I don't think I'll have 'hours'.

MS

Houston, we have a new Gew98.

I traded my Romanian scrubbed bolt MM DOT44 K98k plus $200 for this mostly bolt MM 1916 Simson & Co. WWI Gew98. Here are the 'before' pics as it came home; I have not taken it down yet.

The good: Serial 1246e matching parts: stock, butt plate, barrel, receiver. ejector box, both bands, both trigger screws, and good bore

The bad: stock varnished, I think, but not sanded, I think. Trigger guard, floor plate, and follower do not match the action and each other, but are Imperial proofed. Front capture screw broken off. Cocking piece frozen to firing pin. Bolt body, cocking piece and shroud do not match action and each other, but Imperial proofed. WB carved into butt stock; M/E/W carved into stock. The funky, useless sling held on by a nail has been removed.

So how did I do?

022.jpg

021.jpg

020.jpg

019.jpg

018.jpg

017.jpg

016.jpg

015.jpg

014.jpg

013.jpg

012.jpg

011.jpg

010.jpg

009.jpg

008.jpg

007.jpg

006.jpg

005.jpg

004.jpg

MS

I'm working...

1. Stock removed.
2. Capture screw stump removed from the inside.
3. Handguard does not match.
4. Cocking piece still frozen.

MS

I'm working...

1. Stock removed.
2. Capture screw stump removed from the inside.
3. Handguard does not match.
4. Cocking piece still frozen.

MS

You should invest in a gallon of Kroil or Break Free CLP and a gallon size paint bucket with snap lid. Great for soaking parts that are frozen. I haven't bought anything that old in a while but when the BBT was coming every other week I used to always soak parts overnight in CLP before I started taking down bolt assemblies.
Makes for a speedy cleanup too. Then just use a paint strainer and funnel to pour the oil back in the original container.

All done and back together. Stock was stripped of varnish, oiled, and waxed. Cocking piece and bolt are sitting in CLP overnight; still frozen. NExt week on payday I'll order a sling and cleaning rod from Liberty Tree, as well as an ejector box screw from Numrich.

MS

Bolt is fixed. 25 miles to the gunsmith. I explained the problem, he didn't say anything. He pursed his lips and went out back. I heard about 5 minutes of fussing, then 'ding' ding' 'ding' (insert more dings here), then KA-PING. Looking at a matching '09 Argentine at the time (bad bore), I yelled "Thar she blows!"

Then the grinder started. He reappeared shortly thereafter, telling me that the head of the firing pin had been mushroomed inside the cocking piece. The penetrating oil would not have helped that, but as it was completely imobile and frozen when I got it, it at least got things started.

Firing pin, cocking piece, and shroud match '21'; safety '57' has no clearance and has to be knocked on and off with the end of a screwdriver. Bolt stop is unmarked.

Hopefully my parts will be here by Satruday.

PM

002-1.jpg

I spotted an 1891 Argentine Mauser at M&Ms one day with a bayonet. I looked it over and saw that the bore looked like a sewer pipe and talked the owner down to a great price as a result of the bore.
I took it home, scrubbed, soaked, scrubbed, soaked, and figured screw it... either it shoots good or it doesn't. I took it to the range, fired 5 rounds and ran a few patches through it to reveal a mirror like near perfect bore.

Back
Top Bottom