• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Roach's Sporting Goods, Cambridge, MA

I remember the same experiences at Roach's, the old army, and navy stores, Pills, and even the pawn shops in Central back in th 70's...

Woolworths 5, and 10 was a classic...

Does anyone know when they are shutting their doors? I've been going in there for over 30 years, back when Charlie and his brother were running it.

It looks like the store's name is up for sale.

From GunsAmerica.com:

Roach's Sporting Goods - a 108 year old hunting,fishing and camping shop is closing. The stores name is up for sale. Located in Porter Square, Cambridge, the shop has an excellent reputation and name recognition as the oldest gun shop in Massachusetts. Inventory is available in lots by department such as scope mounting, holsters, fly tying, gun cleaning, archery accessories and rifle scopes. Email or call for lists and details of available inventory. All items will be available to existing dealers at below wholesale pricing.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/98294041...iness_Closing_Name_for_sale_and_Inventory.htm

They're closing because the building owner died, his daughter took over, and is proving to be batshit insane. Or at least a seriously clueless business woman.

She's trying to evict them because she want to rent the place for more money, despite the fact that Bob Slate's (three doors down) which is bigger, has modern lighting, heating, AC, floors, ceiling, walls, and electricity, a warehouse in the back, better parking, etc, has been empty for... 10 months or so, at a *lower* asking price.

The "new AC" they put in was put in by the new owner. It's also a heating system. It's also wicked ugly.

Maybe her actual intent is to evict *all* the tenants and just sell the building, but that doesn't fit with "putting in a new heating/AC system"

They have no intention to move, because a lot of their business, and perhaps their identity, is tied up in firearms. They have zero confidence they'll be able to get a new FFL in Cambridge or any of the surrounding towns. Picking up and moving to a more friendly town doesn't seem to be worth it to them because they'd be building up their reputation again from scratch.

I spent entirely too much time there today looking at archery stuff (came home with a couple bows) and talking with one of the owners (Charlie, I think, I'm terrible with names) about ... well... everything, including why they're closing.

They're currently in negotiations with the landlord('s lawyer), and expect they'll be open for at least a month, probably a few, maybe six, and perhaps a year. Or something like that. Other than sticking it to the landlord, I'm not sure what's to be gained by hanging on that long with decreasing stock, but I respect their willingness to make her life difficult. I've been going in there since the early '80s, and have always loved their tin ceiling, creaky floors, double secret basement filled with camping stuff (or at least it was double secret when I was nine) and what seemed like an infinity of guns (when I was nine :)

Their sale doesn't include guns, ammo, reels, or (most) reloading equipment, but seems to include everything else.

They were nice people to deal with,they would show me any firearm that I wanted to see and not ask for my LTC until I was ready to buy.

Back
Top Bottom