1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

RMV Fail: 546 license suspensions, more to come

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mikeyp, Jul 2, 2019.

1. mikeyp

mikeyp NES Member

Because, you know, if you get a ticket in another state and pay(or fight) that ticket, Mass should be able to steal more of your money

RMV Fail: 546 license suspensions, more to come – Boston Herald

The Registry of Motor Vehicles let tens of thousands of alerts on Massachusetts drivers’ violations in other states accumulate for more than a year, unprocessed in 53 bins, in a deadly bureaucratic failure that Gov. Charlie Baker admits has tested public confidence in his administration.

In a stunning press conference detailing the scope of the crisis Monday, Baker and Transportation Secretary Stephanie Pollack laid out the registry’s failures revealing no one at the RMV was doing the required manual checks on license infractions from out of state — a backlog dating to March 2018.

“No registry employees had been tasked with the job of monitoring that queue,” Pollack said.

That backlog included West Springfield trucker Volodymyr Zhukovskyy, accused of killing seven motorcyclists in New Hampshire on June 21, despite a Connecticut OUI arrest on May 11 that should have triggered an automatic license suspension. As of Monday, a total of 546 drivers have now been suspended based on previously overlooked out-of-state notices.

When asked about how people could trust his administration’s transportation management after major failings at the RMV and MBTA, Baker replied, “We have a lot of work to do to earn back some of that.”

Pollack, when asked whether she intended to resign as RMV chief Erin Deveney did last week, told reporters, “The governor has asked me to fix this, and I’m going to fix it.”

Baker said he has launched an independent audit of the Registry of Motor Vehicles with findings due in 60 days. More suspensions are expected as officials go through tens of thousands of out-of-state notices that were filed and forgotten in 53 bins in the RMV’s Quincy headquarters.

“The RMV failed to act on critically important information that had been previously communicated by another state,” Baker said. “This failure is completely unacceptable to me, to the residents of the commonwealth who expect the RMV to do its job and track drivers’ records.”

Pollack said the responsibilities for the state-to-state communications shuffled around within the registry — and ultimately fell by the wayside in March 2018, for some unknown reason, when people stopped dealing with the notifications altogether.

Pollack said the RMV has “worked around the clock” to address the backlog. Acting Registrar Jamey Tesler is heading the internal scrub. Most of the paper notifications are moving violations that would not automatically lead to suspension, Pollack added, but work is ongoing to find violations that might warrant suspension.

There was no information available about whether any of those drivers who shouldn’t have been on the road have been involved in any crashes.

Baker said the secretary and acting registrar have taken some “immediate steps” to address the failure by establishing a new process to implement same-day processing of new out-of-state violations and establishing a dashboard so that registry managers have the information available in “real-time.”

Pollack said an initial review of the state’s 115,000 commercial licenses in the system will be expanded to include all of the roughly 5.2 million licensed drivers in the state, which would run them all directly against the national databases.

MassDOT officials wouldn’t say whether any RMV employees have been disciplined for the deadly oversight or why the out-of-state violation responsibilities had moved around within different RMV offices, and was ultimately abandoned.

House Speaker Robert DeLeo said he is waiting to see whether the Legislature needs to act.

“We’re anxiously awaiting to see exactly where there may have been a failure in the system,” DeLeo said. “Once we have more of the information, as provided by some of the initial investigations, I think we’ll be in a better place to decide.”

Prepper and Boris like this.
  2. Blooglo

Blooglo NES Member

Another interesting RMV issue is illegal aliens getting "real ID" licenses, someone on the radio was talking about that a week or so ago.

Horrible, Asaltweapon and JayMcB like this.
  3. Zappa

Zappa Road Warrior NES Member

Typical government bureaucratic BS, if you fail to do your job the first time, they'll pay you overtime to do it later.

[banghead]

Evadd, Christian, Choctaw and 9 others like this.
  4. Paul455

Paul455 NES Member

Mediocrity and failure are the standards in Mass. government.

There are no consequences the majority of the time.

Only one agency is over the top on efficiency: the DOR.

Owe them money and fing out how well they work.

SKumar, dingbat and Boris like this.
  5. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

In related news, all but 546 are currently not driving their vehicles.

How about NO ID! No REAL. No regular. Nada. Nothing! Zip! Unless the ID says, "HI! My name is Manuel. I'M AN ILLEGAL ALIEN!!!"

6. GomerPile

GomerPile

The RMV is literally a department that extorts money from the people. Their cost of goods sold is a piece of paper and the overhead for someone to print it.

Every 2 years they void the little piece of paper that allows your car on the road and extort you all over again!

The best part...if you want to drive the car they extort more money for a permission slip you must carry in your wallet.

"You mean you want to tow a trailer with that car we allow you to drive? Pay us every year for that....schmuck!"

HOW THE f*** DO YOU SCREW THIS UP? They manage...

commodon, Super99Z, Boris and 4 others like this.
  7. robjax

robjax

they probably stopped looking because they were identifying a lot of illegals with DL's....just my guess.

AHM and JayMcB like this.
  8. xtry51

xtry51

Just another reason why licensing is meaningless. All love sing does is burden shift part of responsibility onto the state. If instead, we just held employers responsible for who they hired to drive their trucks when accidents occurred these situations would correct themselves to the smallest possible number of instances by self regulation.

Simpler laws. Abolish all CDL and trucking regulations. Pass law that says all employees at a company will be held equally liable for all negligence caused by company drivers. Then see how many people hire drunks, overload trailers or let equipment go unserviced.

Dennis in MA likes this.
  9. bigred460

bigred460 NES Life Member NES Member

The amount they charge to register a trailer is insane.

JayMcB and Dennis in MA like this.
  10. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

LOL not surprising. When I moved from MA to NH, I went down to the NH DMV to sign up for my NH driver's license. This required handing in my MA driver's license. I ask what happens to it, and she said they send these to the MA DMV which will then invalidate them.

MA has a web site that lets you see if your driver's license status is valid. I was curious, so several years after I had moved I checked the status of my MA license... still valid! I think it is safe to assume all these MA driver's licenses dutifully mailed from NH to MA by the NH DMV just sit forever in one of these bins. There's probably no extra money they can get out of me by invalidating a license when I already have another state's valid license, so why bother I guess.

I had also checked my voter registration status in MA recently... 7 years later and still valid. LOL. I wonder who is voting as me though.

11. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Yes it is. I've used my trailer once in 9 years - to bring my boat home.

Correction: Once over the road in 9 years. I use it 2x a year. Put the boat in. Take the boat out. The motor's only a 9.9 so I yank it when it needs service.

Stupidly, I still register it annually. I figure after another 10 years or so, the registration will be a bigger cost than the trailer itself.

12. GomerPile

GomerPile

And it gets even better.....register a snowmobile trailer in say October....it expires Jan 1!!! No proration, no consideration, just bend over and take it up the ass with no lube.

13. bigred460

bigred460 NES Life Member NES Member

Thankfully Maine and even CT are options.

JayMcB likes this.
  14. one-eyed Jack

one-eyed Jack Manufacturer Dealer NES Member

I went to renew my DL today and was turned away and told to come back with a birth certificate. Jack.

15. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

My triple axle 9965 GVWR boat trailer cost 14.50 for the year. Normally I get a two year sticker.

16. GomerPile

GomerPile

So that magical card in your wallet that you needed a birth certificate to get can no longer be renewed without showing them a birth certificate?

I can see how that makes sense?

commodon likes this.
  17. swatgig

swatgig NES Member

Chained together with 999 of my associates at the
    I passed on the "READ ID". I stopped using my first name and went to an initial about 35 years ago. (like J. Edgar Hoover and G. Gordon Liddy). In order to get a REAL ID, the name on my license must match exactly what's on my birth certificate or passport. Nobody knows me by my first name, and have no interest in going back to that confusing shit show. I got a passport card if someone wants a REAL ID. I'll Probably need it for the federal courthouse soon. That should be interesting when the name on my bar card doesn't match.

18. Chevy 2 65

Chevy 2 65 NES Member

This State is a complete joke.

19. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

Can you even get a non-compliant drivers license from the MA RMV anymore? I know NH offers a noncompliant one as an option, but not sure if the commies in MA
    allow the same thing...

-Mike

20. Zappa

Zappa Road Warrior NES Member

In Mass ???

I thought it was $20 for every 1000lbs registered weight.
    My buddy has a 5000lb rated boat trailer and he pays $100 a year for the registration.
    This is for something he literally only puts 50 miles a year on.
    He tows the boat 25 miles to the yacht club in May and tows it home again in September.

21. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

WTF.

If the friggin illegals are getting RealID licenses - what's the point of that entire program in the first place?

Prepper likes this.
  22. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

I’m sorry. HELL NO!!! Maine. Mass wanted me to refi my home in Maine. Owning a legal residence there’s no way anybody can screw with me. I have years of slip and indoor storage records. Yes, I’m still a reluctant MA resident because of income.

23. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

When I went to get my license renewed last year - I got the non-compliant license. BFYTW. I still had to produce all sorts of identification - AND I had to go to Concord Town Hall and get a new copy of my birth certificate - because the copy that I had - which was probably 40 years old - didn't have the required information on it that they were looking for.

That's why Blooglo's comment about how illegal aliens are getting RealID licenses is a really BIG WTF . Why the hell are we all getting anal probed just to get a goddam license - if they're just going to give out REALID licenses to phucking illegals ANYWAY.

AHM likes this.
  24. Danor

Danor NES Member

I took my daughter to the registry for her permit test last Friday. After waiting in line to get in the door and then two hours waiting for her number to be called they announced the computers were down. They would be down indefinitely so they couldn't process anything license related.
    Completely incompetant.

25. Wickedcoolname

Wickedcoolname

Who registers their trailer? I've owned a 12' enclosed construction trailer since 1998. I tow it about 15-20 times a year. I've never registeted it. Never had a plate on it, ever. I figure i'll get pinched one of these days, but im so far ahead right now it wouldn't really matter.

26. Christian

Christian

Rt.3, 1/2 way between Boston and the Cape
    Would you expect anything else?

I usually do my RMV stuff at AAA, but last year had to go to the GD RMV. It wasn't an entirely wasted trip as I did learn one thing, get there ten minutes before they close and you'll be leaving in twenty with your business done. A couple got there mid morning and actually left the building to go to a restaurant for lunch and came back and still waited another three hours.

It was nuts, five minutes before closing something like ten others folks came out from out back and the lobby was empty by ten past. My theory is since staties work out of the building they must have worked the minimum overtime BS into their contracts, work for ten minutes and get paid four hours. It's my theory, and I'm sticking to it.

AHM likes this.
  27. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

What?

I renewed my non compliant license last year. 5 minutes online, got it shipped home.

If I want Real ID I have to go there or AAA ... the choice is obvious.

28. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

I was wondering, what the worse that can happen if you dont register a trailer? A fine?

If someone rearends your trailer and gets hurt, would not having it registered become an issue for the owner of the trailer?

29. C. Stockwell

C. Stockwell NES Member

The reason why there's driver's licenses isn't to ensure trucking safety or to prevent idiots from being hired. Industries could mandate safety standards among themselves for training. Unions (and I'm no union fan) could require commercial drivers to take a safety test and adhere to standards (no tickets, no DUIs, etc.). The state could require companies to be a part of an industry group that internally regulates itself.

The real reasons are: 1) revenue; 2) identification purposes; and 3) normal drivers. Driver's licenses and license plates come from the era when the roads sucked, weren't paved, and people's training on driving consisted of a few minutes in the backyard of the local Chevy or Ford dealer going over the controls. Mass was the first state to start issuing license plates in 1903. How many paved roads were there in Mass and how many people actually knew how to drive a car in 1903?

Employers are already held liable for the derpy-ness of employees through respondeat superior. There's no reason to make every employee liable because if the company takes a hit, everyone already has to work more to make up for the loss (or the company suffers a fatal blow). The other problem with increasing employer liability is that it cuts in favor of the plaintiff. How plaintiff-friendly do you want the state's tort laws to be? Mass and RI are probably among the most plaintiff-friendly states already.

AHM likes this.
  30. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

i renewed also online last last november for non compliant. i gave them my passport number and was processed literally in seconds.
    the other option was a birth certificate and being adopted my bc is sort of redacted. to get what they wanted i'd have to chase around boston and that wasn't an option.

Broccoli Iglesias likes this.