• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

RMR

So I have a seriously lightweight piston gun, I'm talking shoot with one hand shouldered lightweight. I'm really trying to keep it this way, while staying away from batteries.

The RMR sounds like a sure bet, has great reviews, and it weighs nearly nada. Decided on the dual illuminated battery free model in case of zombies or demon monkeys with EMPs, but what I'm having trouble with is determining what reticule to go with. As for intended use, this is most certainly not a plinker range gun.

Anyone have any experience with this model? Different reticules?

RMR_Reticle.jpg

Also, trying to keep a cowitness (troy rear flip up, fixed front), so I need a riser mount. Anyone have any suggestions on a mount for this bad larry?

Any first hand experience/advice would be awesome. Thanks guys!

If this is going to be the only/primary optic on a rifle, I would not want anything bigger then a 4MOA dot. Anything bigger would become difficult to use, if not useless past 100 yards.

ETA unless you are using the tip of that triangle as your zero reference.

If this is going to be the only/primary optic on a rifle, I would not want anything bigger then a 4MOA dot. Anything bigger would become difficult to use, if not useless past 100 yards.

ETA unless you are using the tip of that triangle as your zero reference.

So top tip of the triangle for 50/250 zero and use the rest of the body of the triangle as triangle of doom/donut of death for inside 50?

So top tip of the triangle for 50/250 zero and use the rest of the body of the triangle as triangle of doom/donut of death for inside 50?

Idk, I am not to familiar with those funny shaped reticles, but that is the only way I could see using one that large effectively. If it were me, I would just get the 3.25MOA dot, learn the hold overs, and change the battery every year.

Before buying a dual illuminated one, try it in different settings, as they have issues with reticle washout and bloom. That's why most people prefer and recommend LED RMRs, even on pistols.
Personally, for a rifle, I would be getting Aimpoint T/H/R-1. They don't weigh much more than RMR, have wider mount selection, more robust and proven. I have 4 MOA H1 and R1 on two rifles and they work well. If you need more precision, you can use the top of the dot as the aiming point.

Last edited:
I ran a 6moa mini red dot on my AR and now I'm running a 4 moa micro. When shooting up close, I want a nice bright dot, how bright it is, is more important that how big, since I only see the dot in my peripheral vision, it needs to stand out. When shooting longer ranges, small is easier, but you can turn down the brightness of the dot and look through it.

For my eyes, orange dots suck, I don't pick it up as fast, Red is awesome on white steel and cardboard, green sucks on white steel. I know when a red dot is on target, I have to confirm any other color. Even if its a tenth of a sec, I can feel the delay.

So I would go with the 3.25 red dot if its bright

Before buying a dual illuminated one, try it in different settings, as they have issues with reticle washout and bloom. That's why most people prefer and recommend LED RMRs, even on pistols.
Personally, for a rifle, I would be getting Aimpoint T/H/R-1. They don't weigh much more than RMR, have wider mount selection, more robust and proven.

I have read similar reports on the duals. I'm with you on the T1 for a rifle, although I am saving for a RM02 for my G19.

I've used one extensively on an M240 on top of a 6X48 ACOG. I thought the larger dot was fine for a MG, but I wouldn't want it for a rifle. I'd go with the smallest possible red dot. The reticule also wasn't as clear as that of an Eotech or an Aimpoint, and I personally don't even like Aimpoints.

Mike

Last edited:
I've used one extensively on an M240 on top of a 6X48 ACOG. I thought the larger dot was fine for a MG, but I wouldn't want it for a rifle. I'd go with the smallest possible red dot. The reticule also wasn't as clear as that of an Eotech or an Aimpoint, and I personally don't even like Aimpoints.

Mike

I know this was a professional experience for you, but goddamn I wish I could truthfully make that same assertion.

a) I meant without joining back up. I would love to have a 240.

b) .mil thinks I have a major heart condition. They discharged me for it, and they're not exactly keen on letting me back in.

thats that then. I'll have to up it to the next wish granter that can fix hearts.

One day, while very bored with the excitement of what the whales were doing, I came across a company that was producing M249 and M240 belt fed rifles that could take a registered HK tigger packs. They were pricey, but seemed to work. I can't find the site at the moment, though.

what is this lightweight piston gun?

M6 with some of my own little additions. 6.38lbs

ADD: With the light (maelstrom) and mount, it's a bit more heavy than the weight mentioned above, but surprisingly the balance is hardly effected. I really want to keep the balance as is, thus the RMR.

Last edited:
What did you go with, and have you decided how you want to mount it?

RMR08A triangle, I like the idea of tip of triangle for 50/250 and full triangle for close up. I've always liked the acog style triangle reticle. Gives a decent precision option.

I ordered an american defense cowitness QD mount. I looked around, they seem to be the only player in town for rmr mounts and have some good reviews.

RMR08A triangle, I like the idea of tip of triangle for 50/250 and full triangle for close up. I've always liked the acog style triangle reticle. Gives a decent precision option.

I ordered an american defense cowitness QD mount. I looked around, they seem to be the only player in town for rmr mounts and have some good reviews.

I have the ADM for my Micro, Its a great mount, I like it better than the Larue

Haha, I wanted to see the rifle!

Once the optic is mounted. I'll give specs for now

Ace ARFX-E stock w/ 1" buttpad
Vltor Mod 4 Charging Handle
LWRC upper
NiB exo coated trigger (4.5# roughly w/ super short reset)and hammer (from spikes, smooth as butter)
NiB coated in house LWRC BCG and internals
Lightweight lwrc 16" 1/7 NiCorr treated chrome lined mid w/ troy claymore
Ergo grip
Ambi select
Still in a toss up about throwing my troy flip up or my DD fixed rear, I'll see which one works better with the rmr
4sevens Maelstrom on Vtac offset mount
I really kept the weight down by nixing the ridiculously redundant quad rail fad, stuck with the moe mid length, debating on the samson evolution (love tubes) pending how well this shoots with the moe (worried about heat in the handguards)
RMR with AD co mount
Moe vfg
Urban ERT hybrid sling (which for the record is absolutely top notch, and I will recommend it to anyone)

No unnecessary junk.

Back
Top Bottom