RMR, optic, Red Dot for a Glock?

Holosun just came out with SCS MOS specifically for Glock MOS. Mounts so low you can keep factory irons as 1/3 witness from what I heard. The only real question mark is the power. Uses solar+capacitor to achieve the low profile, but kind of spooks me out not having a backup battery.
Is this the optic?

Any tips on how to shop for the right optic the first time.

I don't know what to choose between holosun , trijicon , Leupold , vortex
I think I want a MOA 3
I want to put it on a P320 XFive

I think I want a MOA 3

What kinda of shooting are you planning? If speed is a component, then I would look for an optic with a large lens and go with a bigger dot. If accuracy is the goal, then a 3 moa is fine and lens size is less of a concern. For home defense, I would want shake awake and a large lens, big dot. If for some reason its CCW with X5, then a smaller lens, with a big dot and shake awake.

I don't like auto adjust because it only works well when you and the target are lit the same.

I think I want a MOA 3
Like everything in firearms, which company to choose will start an NES holy war. Don't worry, we get one once a week.

Here's a few things to take into consideration:
  • What is the holster to be used? If the holster has an optic hood or a Level 2 retention that flips forward, you must ensure your optic has the clearance.
  • If used in competition, get one with largest glass(ex. Trijicon SRO or SIG Romeo 3)
  • If used for EDC, get a smaller size but with the biggest dot possible. 5MOA is plenty!
  • If used for tactical "games" and carried in a drop holster, it will get dirty and useless. To accommodate, get sealed optic(ex. SIG Romeo 2, Swampfox Kracken)
  • If you plan to use it for fun at the range and occasional steel challenge, get the cheapest optic designed for a pistol(no airsoft red dots)
  • If you like SIG, go with SIG red optic. SIG goes out of its way to make sure the shape of the optic blends with the slide esthetics. This will also make it easier to resolve any warranty issues.
There are new red dots coming out every year with increasingly more useful features as long battery life or shake awake. When shipping, try to find red dots from reputable companies that have been introduced in the last 2-3 years and you should be GTG.

I think I want a MOA 3
What you want to put it on - is it optic ready? Or you need to cut it, the slide?

Either way - path of the least resistance is a trijicon rmr mount pattern. Trijicon Sro is same pattern. Most holosuns are also rmr pattern.

So that is the choice, pretty much.

Those of you who are new to dots and have trouble finding it, try the ACSS Vulcan reticle with the Chevron and the huge WW2 fighter style circle around it.

Or you could learn to do it the right way and not rely on gimmicks

Multiple repetitions of drawing and pointing at a target, (dryfire), makes it easy to put dot on target.

Included in my dryfire practice these days is focusing on a target, closing eyes, drawing gun from holster, presenting it and then looking to see if it's on target. Most of the time it is. It's all muscle memory.

This is not to be confused with aligning the dot on the target as the gun moves from chest to extended arms. It's an exercise designed to make sure that the body's aligned.

Back
Top Bottom