RMR, optic, Red Dot for a Glock?

12 MOA would be perfect,
12 moa dot would be a blob obscuring all in the viewfinder.
they do now combination of the 2 moa dot and 30 moa circle. it they would make it a 15moa circle/crosshair - it would be what you want.

2moa dot as an option is perfect as it is what you want to shoot at the bullseye center at 25yds target. 1moa is better but too damn small. 2 moa is good, and if you put brightness to max on most models it grows into almost 5moa anyway.

12 moa dot would be a blob obscuring all in the viewfinder.
they do now combination of the 2 moa dot and 30 moa circle. it they would make it a 15moa circle/crosshair - it would be what you want.

2moa dot as an option is perfect as it is what you want to shoot at the bullseye center at 25yds target. 1moa is better but too damn small. 2 moa is good, and if you put brightness to max on most models it grows into almost 5moa anyway.
Have you ever used one?

It would not, not even close.

I thought the same until I grabbed one.

Circle with crosshair is sh*t to me. I prefer an open circle, it is easier to aim. At least for me it is.

2 MOA is sh*t on a sunny day. Maybe it is good for some bullseye competition indoors. I don't need to hit the button of a shirt of the person attacking me. I need fast acquisition and clear dot that will work with several light conditions (nothing will ever be 100% perfect on every light condition).

Don't take this the wrong way, but do you even use red dots on handguns?

too weak - should have asked if i ever used any handguns at all.
if your 2moa is invisible on a sunny day - get a better model that works in the sun.

I just need 4 simple things in a red dot:

1. Long lasting. At a minimum 1.5 years in a bright setting. 1.5 years is not absurd, many would consider this sh*t life, but notice I said "bright setting", I don't want a dot that can be on for 5 years in a setting I won't see sh*t if it is bright outside.

2. Change the battery without removing.

3. A dot bigger than 3 MOA. WTF is up with this? - I have a 6 MOA DOT in a C-More RTS2 and it is not great on a bright day, yet most offer 3 MOA only. 12 MOA would be perfect, I recently tried one and it was awesome for plates. Would be perfect for self defense. 12 MOA sounds huge, but it isn't for self defense distances.

4. Some reliability, I don't want to read reviews talking about how the glass fell off.

It can't be that hard. Yet, it seems to be very hard.
So your recommendation is?
Heading to Harvard to break in Glock.

I just need 4 simple things in a red dot:

1. Long lasting. At a minimum 1.5 years in a bright setting. 1.5 years is not absurd, many would consider this sh*t life, but notice I said "bright setting", I don't want a dot that can be on for 5 years in a setting I won't see sh*t if it is bright outside.

2. Change the battery without removing.

3. A dot bigger than 3 MOA. WTF is up with this? - I have a 6 MOA DOT in a C-More RTS2 and it is not great on a bright day, yet most offer 3 MOA only. 12 MOA would be perfect, I recently tried one and it was awesome for plates. Would be perfect for self defense. 12 MOA sounds huge, but it isn't for self defense distances.

4. Some reliability, I don't want to read reviews talking about how the glass fell off.

It can't be that hard. Yet, it seems to be very hard.

I agree
6-8 is great for speed and accuracy. 10-12 is awesome for steel . 3moa is really just retard on a carry gun.

I don't really care if I have to remove the sight to change the battery, they hold zero well and you should be working on accuracy anyways, so its not a big deal

I don't know.

My recommendation is find a quality red dot that is larger than 3MOA.

I started reading a little more this past week looking for a new dot and I am a little disappointed most red dots marketed towards EDC are 3MOA.

Maybe it is to extend battery life?
Pretty stupid.

I agree
6-8 is great for speed and accuracy. 10-12 is awesome for steel . 3moa is really just retard on a carry gun.

I don't really care if I have to remove the sight to change the battery, they hold zero well and you should be working on accuracy anyways, so its not a big deal
10 moa is not a dot. it is a 507c holosun with a vulcan chevron. and a dot is a dot - not a ring nor a chevron. but, whatever.

a 15/12 moa i do not know what the feck is that, if that was already made by someone.

SRO or RMR. If that doesn’t work for you, Leupold Deltapoint Pro.

I have a Trijicon 3.25 RMR. I looked at the 6, but found it too large. The 3 is a good compromise. As I posted before, I’m going to pick up an SRO next for my TRR8. All are on the pricey side. YMMV when looking for cheaper alternatives.

BTW, SRO hits most of Brocs requirements. RMR has the battery on the bottom if that matters to you.

Last edited:
I don't know.

My recommendation is find a quality red dot that is larger than 3MOA.

I started reading a little more this past week looking for a new dot and I am a little disappointed most red dots marketed towards EDC are 3MOA.

Maybe it is to extend battery life?
Pretty stupid.

The holosun 407k is a 6 moa and 50K hours
They are coming out with a 507 competition 2moa dot, with 8 moa ring, 20 moa ring and 32 moa ring. You can stack the 2moa dott with 8moa ring. I would have rather a 8moa dot, but it should be an interesting sight.

10 moa is not a dot. it is a 507c holosun with a vulcan chevron. and a dot is a dot - not a ring nor a chevron. but, whatever.

a 15/12 moa i do not know what the feck is that, if that was already made by someone.

there are other companies that make 10 moa dots, 12 moa dots and 16 moa dots.

it googles up, right. they make emitter modules, ones that no one needs.

anyway, a futile pickering. want yourself a 16moa dot - get one. rest of humanity seems to be happy enough with 2/5 moa combinations. or 3/6, if anyone can see actual difference there between 5 and 6.

it googles up, right. they make emitter modules, ones that no one needs.

anyway, a futile pickering. want yourself a 16moa dot - get one. rest of humanity seems to be happy enough with 2/5 moa combinations. or 3/6, if anyone can see actual difference there between 5 and 6.

You consistently don't know what you are talking about.

You consistently don't know what you are talking about.
sure, sure. go tell primary arms they also do not know what is it they sell and why.
the only option above 6moa is the chevron i spoke of and 8 moa is the bullshit burris.
so go pound sand, a 16 moa red dot my ass.

1674757538226.png

People buy 3 moa for carry guns because they don't know any better, they are new to the dot world. Competition shooters shoot 6-12 because they know what is best for speed. Primary arms sells what people buy, most are just larpers at the range shooting at 1 target at 7 yards

Once again, you have no idea about dots or shooting with them.

sure, sure. go tell primary arms they also do not know what is it they sell and why.
the only option above 6moa is the chevron i spoke of and 8 moa is the bullshit burris.
so go pound sand, a 16 moa red dot my ass.

View attachment 713700
That is why I posted, maybe the smaller dot uses less battery, it is the only thing I can think of.

I have almost never seen anyone in USPSA or Steel challenge use anything less than a 6MOA. Once in a while I see 3 MOA. But never an experienced shooter that was A or higher.

Look at a self defense situation, these are sports that require fast shooting at targets, some require movement.

Why would a small dot be better for EDC?

Like I said, I am not looking at hitting the button of a shirt of an attacker at 25 yards, in an indoor range with controlled lighting, I don't need that level accuracy.

Last edited:
People buy 3 moa for carry guns because they don't know any better, they are new to the dot world. Competition shooters shoot 6-12 because they know what is best for speed. Primary arms sells what people buy, most are just larpers at the range shooting at 1 target at 7 yards

dont squirm your way back to 6 moa once you started bullshit here about 'people who are in the know do buy 16 moa dots'.

go ahead, buy one.

I bought a 3 because a 6 with my astigmatism was crazy to look at

dont squirm your way back to 6 moa once you started bullshit here about 'people who are in the know do buy 16 moa dots'.

go ahead, buy one.

f***, I hope you don't shoot as bad as you read. really, WTF.
I agree

I agree

That's interesting.

I have 6MOA Burris FastFires on my RFPO, (Browning Buckmarks), and they work very well for Steel Challenge and plates at 15 yards.

I have 3MOA on my Glocks, (34 for Carry Optic; 31 for carry, and 41 for pins), and they work very well for me. These are all Trijicons with adjustable brighness.

go ahead, buy one.
@1919FAN has either a 12 or 16 MOA DOT (one of those two).

The thing is awesome. I didn't know they looked that good until I shot his at a steel challenge stage.

That is when I realized how much better it was rhan my 6 MOA for fast shooting at 10" and 12" plates. That translates to being great for EDC.

that depends upon a model you can find with a 5/6 moa dot.
for most people it probably would be optimal, and it reflects in the sales numbers. i do not use and do not plan using any red dots on the edc, though.

and as it is only for the range guns i got - i have some choices i tend to stick with. the only one i have with large dot now is a vortex viper, and i did not find it too useful for me as i am used to 2/3 moa dots i have on sro, dpp, holosuns and some other lower grade junk i have.

the claimed size of the dot has much less relevance than the actual factual brightness. the SCS 2 moa dot at max light is bigger than a 6moa dot on a viper.
so it goes to the first thing i said - it all depends upon a model.

OP really just needs to try as much as he can especially for dot size. No idea what might work well for his eyes. Should also try them both outside and in low lighting.

I use 3.25 rmr and 3.5 acro because I don’t know any better…

that depends upon a model you can find with a 5/6 moa dot.
for most people it probably would be optimal, and it reflects in the sales numbers. i do not use and do not plan using any red dots on the edc, though.

and as it is only for the range guns i got - i have some choices i tend to stick with. the only one i have with large dot now is a vortex viper, and i did not find it too useful for me as i am used to 2/3 moa dots i have on sro, dpp, holosuns and some other lower grade junk i have.
I asked why is a 2 or 3 MOA dot better for EDC.

Not why sales are good.

Sales are good because 3MOA seems to be what is offered the most, but that doesn't mean it is a good option.

So, why is a smaller dot better for fast target acquisition?

You typed this:
2moa dot as an option is perfect

Personal preference, but I found the Vortex Viper to s*ck. Ordered one and ordered a C-more. Same dot size, returned the Viper.

OP really just needs to try as much as he can especially for dot size. No idea what might work well for his eyes. Should also try them both outside and in low lighting.

I use 3.25 rmr and 3.5 acro because I don’t know any better…
I always recommend this to people, every optics thread I say order a bunch and return the ones you don't like. Most don't do that. 🤷‍♂️

That is why I posted, maybe the smaller dot uses less battery, it is the only thing I can think of.

I have almost never seen anyone in USPSA or Steel challenge use anything less than a 6MOA. Once in a while I see 3 MOA. But never an experienced shooter that was A or higher.

Look at a self defense situation, these are sports that require fast shooting at targets, some require movement.

Like I said, I am not looking at hitting the button of a shirt of an attacker at 25 yards, in an indoor range with controlled lighting, I don't need that level accuracy.

I have 3MOA on my Carry Optics gun that I use for IDPA/USPSA/SC and pins. For me, 6MOA is just too large for some of the longer shots I make in IDPA and the tough shots on bowling pins that have fallen and leave only the top of the pin to shoot at.

With that 3MOA G34 I'm currently ranked as IDPA-SS, USPSA-C and SC-M. The gun's fine, the dot's fine - what keeps me back in the action pistol shooting is the movement - I'm old enough to be your father.

So, since I shoot that 3MOA G34 probably more than all of my other guns put together, I set my carry gun up similarly. The competition gun is an SRO, I don't quite trust that in the real world, I'm running an RMR on my carry gun. They're both Trijicon, both 3MOA; the comp gun is a G34, the carry is a G31 with a 9mm conversion barrel and a weapons light.

And of course, I have astigmatisms on both eyes, the 3moa gives me less trouble at distance than the 6moas that I've got on a couple of my .22's.

That's what works for me. Something entirely different may work for you.

Sales are good because 3MOA seems to be what is offered the most, but that doesn't mean it is a good option.
so it sells the most as no one knows what is good. and whole industry knows nothing. sure.

i know nothing and no one knows nothing. only the nes studs who are in the know and posess 16moa dots are the sacred source of hidden knowledge.

[rofl]

i am done with this, i still have work to do today.

I have 3MOA on my Carry Optics gun that I use for IDPA/USPSA/SC and pins. For me, 6MOA is just too large for some of the longer shots I make in IDPA and the tough shots on bowling pins that have fallen and leave only the top of the pin to shoot at.

Are you shooting targets smaller than 3" at 50 yards?

Back
Top Bottom