RMR Milling

I'm looking for someone to mill a G19 and G17 slide for RMRs. Can anyone suggest somewhere local? I'll send it out if needed. I usually go to Lou at BEC but he's not interested.

I were ever to do this the cut would match the front and rear radius of the RMR and I'd use an edge radiused cutter to avoid any stress risers. Granted, if you're paying someone to do this, the aforementioned could cost quite a bit more.

Sorry to revive an old thread.
But I'm also looking for a local shop to get my glock 19 milled for an RMR.

Any new spots around ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have people here actually used an RMR for a long time? Because everyone I know who has had one and actually used that gun regularly has seen them fail and swears to never buy one again.

You're putting a lot of money into mounting a sight onto a pistol that might be better spent on ammo and a training class.

Have people here actually used an RMR for a long time? Because everyone I know who has had one and actually used that gun regularly has seen them fail and swears to never buy one again.

You're putting a lot of money into mounting a sight onto a pistol that might be better spent on ammo and a training class.

curious what fails and why? I'm assuming it's something to do with the optic mounted on the slide and receiving at least some of the recoil abuse

I am selling my RMR G19 because I am over the novelty of looking cool.

Thanks for the input, but unnecessary here.

I've been shooting pistols and rifles with mounted RMRs for a while, I've personally gone thru 2 different RMRs that I replaced only because I've scratched the glass from continually racking the slide with the RMR.
I've never had any Trijicon product fail on me (knock on wood), anyone I train with or have talked to. Specially an RMR or Acog.

Edit: the people you've seen with failed RMRs I would have them double check the serial number for legitimacy.
A lot of replicas out there.

What a waste of money just to look cool.

I'd just buy a bright tshirt that says "I'm cool"..
And maybe a TRUMP hat

Thanks, but I would rather chew tin foil and swallow glass then wear a Trump hat.

When I was single I used to light money on fire with out really thinking about it. The RMR pistol fad has past for me, I do OK with regular old sights and would rather keep the bulk down.

Thanks, but I would rather chew tin foil and swallow glass then wear a Trump hat.

When I was single I used to light money on fire with out really thinking about it. The RMR pistol fad has past for me, I do OK with regular old sights and would rather keep the bulk down.

You shoot 300 yrds with iron sights too ?

I'll revive this DOA thread, since I'm exploring this option for a carry gun. There are plenty of guys "on the job" out there running an RMR, and just like pistol mounted lights, red dots on rifles, and even factory ammo occasionally, shit fails. That being said, failure rates on the RMR, especially when the slide cut is made to fit it tightly, are becoming more rare every day. Gone are the days(at least they should be) of the dovetail mounts, and the slide surface mounts that relied solely on 2 little screws to hold the sight against recoil, and the sight sitting higher, thereby increasing the mechanical advantage of momentum. With slide cuts recessed substantially, and profiled to fit the sight (something the new Glock MOS lacks), the sight is subjected to a lot less violent movement, believe it or not. I'm gonna figure out a way to play with this set up, probably on a range/full size pistol for a while, with the ultimate goal being to get one on my G19 for carrying around with me.

Anyway, back to the spirit of the thread, I'll probably be looking for someone to cut a slide for me in the near future. I've heard good things about BG gunworks, has anyone had Brad do one?

Last edited:
I'll revive this DOA thread, since I'm exploring this option for a carry gun. There are plenty of guys "on the job" out there running an RMR, and just like pistol mounted lights, red dots on rifles, and even factory ammo occasionally, shit fails. That being said, failure rates on the RMR, especially when the slide cut is made to fit it tightly, are becoming more rare every day. Gone are the days(at least they should be) of the dovetail mounts, and the slide surface mounts that relied solely on 2 little screws to hold the sight against recoil, and the sight sitting higher, thereby increasing the mechanical advantage of momentum. With slide cuts recessed substantially, and profiled to fit the sight (something the new Glock MOS lacks), the sight is subjected to a lot less violent movement, believe it or not. I'm gonna figure out a way to play with this set up, probably on a range/full size pistol for a while, with the ultimate goal being to get one on my G19 for carrying around with me.

Anyway, back to the spirit of the thread, I'll probably be looking for someone to cut a slide for me in the near future. I've heard good things about BG gunworks, has anyone had Brad do one?

You already know this, but for the sake of conversation...

I have decided to keep my RMR G19, because ADD, and will be picking up an LED RMR to replace the barely useful dual illum RMR I currently have. I looked at the MOS G17, but the more I looked at it, the more I realized my TSD (GAY!) slide would mount the RMR at a better, lower position. I took out my dremil for a real shitty job fitting the gen3 frame to my hand, and I love it. I am going to follow in my man Stu's footsteps and put some rubber bands on the grip instead of stippling or skateboard tape. I installed a TSD (GAY!) mag well that, after a shitty job smoothing out some of the edges I didn't like, I dig and I swapped the plain suppressor sights out for a set of 3 dot tritiums. I have an OC Customs trigger and a Vickers mag release sitting on my desk waiting to be installed. The gun is going to be so heinous that it will make the internet cringe, but I like it so the internet can pound sand.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20161125_173407.jpg
    20161125_173407.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 223
  • 20161125_173344.jpg
    20161125_173344.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 216
  • 20161125_173301.jpg
    20161125_173301.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Who gives a shit what the internet thinks. But I am internet, and I like it.

Glock frames are "rumored" to be Dupont Zytel Nylon 66. There are 14 flavors of that engineering polymer that are available to me to research, and all of them are very strong materials. Dremeling that bitch is all you can do beyond heating it up, like most dumb****s do.

Heating a molded polymer does a few things to it:

-It releases molded in stress that is in every injection molded plastic part ever created. This can be managed with good process control and design work, though. I'm sure Glock has minimized this. But releasing this stress causes the part to warp, among other things.
-It weakens the material. Heating parts of a plastic part and letting it cool against cooler regions of that same plastic part creates boundary layers and "skins" in the part. If you were to cross section the frame of a "stippled" polymer gun, you'd see layers of plastic near where the dipshit put his soldering iron on it. This weakened the part as it's no longer homogenous and it's now sub-optimal from the original "as molded" Glock frame.

Does stippling matter? Probably not- the frames are over engineered so that dipshits can be dipshits.

But what I'm saying is that dremeling the frame is possibly better than stippling depending on the depth you went. Either way it's probably fine. I'm just trying to make sure the internet knows you are superior, which is fact.

Also- if you wanted to smooth that bitch out, you can use sulferic acid. But you need to use it sparingly, and hit it with a shit load of water afterwards otherwise it'll eat through the rest of the PA66. Acetone works similarly with ABS. Sulfuric Acid is needed for Nylons since the shit is diesel as ****.

Fun fact about nylons, glass filled or otherwise: they are hygroscopic. You can combat this characteristic by pre-treating your plastic resins before injection molding them. But all glocks, m&ps, and other polymer guns absorb water. And it changes the mechanical properties of said plastic frame.

http://www.ptonline.com/knowledgece...n-Types/Hygroscopic-VS-Non-Hygroscopic-Resins

If you want to stir a glock owner's jimmies, this is the sure fire way to do it. I'm surprised no 1911 trolls are educated enough to know this. Wait- no. I'm not surprised. 1911 owners are <deleted> dipshits.

You already know this, but for the sake of conversation...

I have decided to keep my RMR G19, because ADD, and will be picking up an LED RMR to replace the barely useful dual illum RMR I currently have. I looked at the MOS G17, but the more I looked at it, the more I realized my TSD (GAY!) slide would mount the RMR at a better, lower position. I took out my dremil for a real shitty job fitting the gen3 frame to my hand, and I love it. I am going to follow in my man Stu's footsteps and put some rubber bands on the grip instead of stippling or skateboard tape. I installed a TSD (GAY!) mag well that, after a shitty job smoothing out some of the edges I didn't like, I dig and I swapped the plain suppressor sights out for a set of 3 dot tritiums. I have an OC Customs trigger and a Vickers mag release sitting on my desk waiting to be installed. The gun is going to be so heinous that it will make the internet cringe, but I like it so the internet can pound sand.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
But what I'm saying is that dremeling the frame is possibly better than stippling depending on the depth you went. Either way it's probably fine. I'm just trying to make sure the internet knows you are superior, which is fact.

48865611.jpg

If you want to stir a glock owner's jimmies, this is the sure fire way to do it. I'm surprised no 1911 trolls are educated enough to know this. Wait- no. I'm not surprised. 1911 owners are <language> dipshits.

It is less about rustlin jimmies as it is about making a gun that I was not too much a fan of fit better in my hand. Although, the lulz are always a side bonus.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I did a similar undercut job on my newish G19, with Ed's dremel, fueled by his Bud Light, at his house. I'm very happy with the result. Key point of note: My month old, Gen 4 FDE Glock is only FDE on the surface. Imagine my horror when black started showing as soon as I touched it with rapidly spinning abrasive. Then I realized I don't give any fux, since my guns tend to lead a hard life, aesthetically, and I'd probably do worse in the next year at the range. Anywho, I digress.

I've decided that, instead of going headlong into the RMR game, and having a slide cut, I needed the ability to bail if the ground was coming up too fast. I ordered a rather demur black Suarez slide, cut for the RMR, some Glock guts, and of course, a 6.5moa sight from Trijicon. This will allow me to saddle that tango zapping upper on my dremel butchered, nice trigger wearing, otherwise sweet frame to start working out with the Han Solo Holo Sight(Patent pending), then put the plain jane uppper back on to roll in the hood, because that untested gear will get yo ass killed on the street, fam. Once I decide I like all the chicks that the RMR will score me (I mean really, do you think there will be any other outcome?), then I'll figure out whether to just run the Suarez upper or turn my Glock back into a child of Zion with all G hard parts. That's down the road though. Right now, it's all about waiting on the UPS guy, and then bangin' some subsecond steel like it was my job.

Insted of puting fancey junk soghts on your plastic tubberware guns why dont you guys buy real guns, like kimber 1911s.

Back
Top Bottom