RM1SPECIALFIELD - A.K.A "My first M1"

Detail stripped, there is some pitting on the op rod outside diameter but the gas seal looks to be replaced?
The inside diameter (spring cavity) of the op rod had what appeared to be rusty oil running freely out of it. I rodded it with a patch and Hoppes a few times to clean it up and swapped it clean, then thoroughly greased the spring with Mobile 1 red synthetic grease.
I also followed the greasing instructions posted in another thread and re-assembled it.
I hope to bring it to OCSA tomorrow early evening to begin a breakin sequence and maybe shoot a target or two at 100 yards.

im going to try to get to OCSA at lunch time tuesday or Wednesday around 11:45 for my down and dirty test of the current project.
I may not have time to set up prone so i might just use the lead sled rifle rest. If your around i will be in the dirty blue uniform running around like a nut trying to get it all done before i need to run back to work.

Fired yesterday and cleaned between each round (about 10 rounds) then a few volleys of three of four rounds and cleaned again in between and after.
I didn't even hang targets, just firing into the berm. Cleaned with Pro-Shot copper solvent, swabbed wet and let set a few minutes, then patched dry.
These test / break-in shots were done one at a time, hand fed. The action refused to lock open most of the time.
I checked and found rub marks from the op rod on the inside of the stock. This area I relieved roughly with a Dremel.
TODAY, I hung some sighting targets and brought a can of Lake City Garand Chow.
Shooting from the bench, with a block rest, I was able to get about three minutes at 100 yards.
I believe I shot about 80 rounds... It still did not cycle completely, until the very end I had to cycle the action by hand after every shot.
The front sight and gas tube also loosened enough to walk fore and aft about 3/16" inch, and radially a little.

As I was cleaning up, I was lucky enough to receive a visit from the OCSA Garand Fairy. Some strong opinions on current Boyds stocks, a quick teardown to identify another few op rod rub spots, and the observation that the trigger could use some attention.
I'm happy to report that this one will be spending a few days at the Franco Rifle Rehab and Day Spa. Hopefully it'll shoot straighter then me when it is returned.

I need to acquire a good sling if I want to embarrass myself in JCG matches. Any recommendations?

Wondering if there is an issue with your Gas System. Franco will figure it out.

For the sling, a Ron Brown service rifle sling.

The cmp specials are very heavy park.
Toss in the boyds stock fit issues.
One thing I found with a friend's special was the gas lock screw was heavily parked and the valve was not seating well. May not be correct method but we did a field fix with the valve held open and nail file knocked of some gritty park and all was well.
My first cmp garand with a new stock rubbed so bad the op rod actually was shaving wood and left saw dust ! They need a little TLC they would be $2k if cmp went through them and tuned them nice and under 2.5moa
http://www.fulton-armory.com/fultonarmoryusriflecal762mmm14-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1.aspx
As for the sling. If the web sling is long enough it's a good sling to start with. I like the leather slings. I have a brown and a Turner both work and are holding up nice.
Stay away from "reproduction" M1907 slings many are not long enough.

http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-failed-to-cycle

Last edited:
#Goals

My rifle, not my target. After a day and a half in the Franco M1 Day Spa, it is cycling, all the loose parts are tight, the tight parts are loose (that is, the Boyds stock geometry is corrected) and even the stock finish is upgraded.
A LOT of rapid fire information came with the cost (which was perfectly reasonable IMO.)

Speaking of rapid fire... Franco, CMP rapid fire, prone, 200 yards, SR-C target. I believe these are his competition loads. 5.1" max spread, which is 2.4MOA or so.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Franco 082917.jpg
    Franco 082917.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 50
Nice!

So now you have the accuracy to go win at Perry. At least your rifle does [smile]. Franco does great work, and yes- a wealth of information. I'll bet he shared his opinion regarding CMP's job of assembling these rifles.

As Mac stated, web sling is not a bad way to go. I have a Brown, Turner, and Turner synthetic. I like them all but rank the Brown at the top.

So for sure you need to get your butt out to a CMP match. Sounds like you are close enough to OCSA. You can enter my Garand postal match with 'fabulous' LOL prizes- just check the milsurps forum for info. 100 yards on the SR-1 or you can submit an official CMP score card. One prize for top score and everyone is entered in a random drawing for an identical prize package.

Nice!

So now you have the accuracy to go win at Perry. At least your rifle does [smile]. Franco does great work, and yes- a wealth of information. I'll bet he shared his opinion regarding CMP's job of assembling these rifles.

As Mac stated, web sling is not a bad way to go. I have a Brown, Turner, and Turner synthetic. I like them all but rank the Brown at the top.

So for sure you need to get your butt out to a CMP match. Sounds like you are close enough to OCSA. You can enter my Garand postal match with 'fabulous' LOL prizes- just check the milsurps forum for info. 100 yards on the SR-1 or you can submit an official CMP score card. One prize for top score and everyone is entered in a random drawing for an identical prize package.

#Understatement [laugh]

I have a web sling of some form from the estate I just closed out, I need to look at it.
The estate Garand that went to my friends daughter had a nice leather repro sling, new in the package. That is water under the dog at this point.

Fortunately or unfortunately, I'm out of town for a few days so I'll be learning to shoot this thing next Saturday and wasting the time of the CMP guys on Sunday.

+1 on the Ron Brown, I ordered one in March for my match M1 and really like it. His wife handled the business side and was very friendly. I have a websling on my service grade and a spare that for now rides on the Lee-Enfield which has wide enough swivels to support it.

If I can make the Sept. match I might try to jury rig the spare websling it to a different rifle, but I would probably end up going without, as I basically did with my SKS last time.

learned with a web sling and still using a web sling. the cutting off of circulation to your arm is intended to put more blood in your nether regions for additional stability in prone. think about how a machine gun bipod works...digs in from rocoil creating a more stable platform. true story.

This just re-enforces what I've always said about ANY CMP "old or new" rifle needing a complete break down, inspection and re-assembly prior to shooting it. Seems like the Specials actually might need more attention due to the new stock and new park.

I like the Ron Brown slings, so much that I have one for each of my rifles. Just received a new one for the M14. Re-pro slings are good if you want to hang a sling on there for looks. The guy who took the 6 point Leg at Reading was using a web sling and I see other SR shooters using them too. Personally, they cut off the circulation in my arm too much.

Heres a short list of problems I had with Cmp rifles right from the box.
7 rifles total.
Loose front sights
Loose gas cylinder splines
Loose gas cylinder lock screw
Loose or worn lower band/band pin
Loose rear sights
3 broken OP rod springs
Broken clip ejector
Cracked bolt
Loose stocks
Broken safety.
For everything I called Cmp out on they replaced with out issue. Most stuff I just corrected during the detail strip.
All have passed clymer no go gauge test.

They all need to be detailed stripped cleaned and inspected. CLP light lube and then to shoot.
I don't mind so much the small problems from the Cmp because I can go buy a M1 from a local shop for $1500 and have a POS with no support.

Last edited:
Heres a short list of problems I had with Cmp rifles right from the box.
7 rifles total.
Loose front sights
Loose gas cylinder splines
Loose gas cylinder lock screw
Loose or worn lower band/band pin
Loose rear sights
3 broken OP rod springs
Broken clip ejector
Cracked bolt
Loose stocks
Broken safety.
For everything I called Cmp out on they replaced with out issue. Most stuff I just corrected during the detail strip.
All have passed clymer no go gauge test.

They all need to be detailed stripped cleaned and inspected. CLP light lube and then to shoot.
I don't mind so much the small problems from the Cmp because I can go buy a M1 from a local shop for $1500 and have a POS with no support.

The Franco butchers bill on the subject M1:
Yes
Maybe

Opposite - Too tight

Finally got a range day in with the new M1.
Delinked LC 1967, 100 yards benchrest SR1 target. Sixteen shots, I called both flyers. I have GOT to get more range time to practice with the sling, and to test some reloads.

I think I've spent too much time with optics... I need to work on my eyes. It seems I can't focus on the front sight and target at the same time.

attachment.php

Attachments

• target.jpg
    target.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 35
I need to work on my eyes. It seems I can't focus on the front sight and target at the same time.

Welcome to my world! Time to get your 'optics' checked[rofl].

My prescription was recently upped 25% - big help. Results look good nonetheless.

t

Very nice shooting!

Guess I was lucky to make it to ~50 before fighting my eyes a bit with iron sights. In the last few months I've gone to +0.5 reading glasses for shooting with irons. Puts the front sight in sharp focus. Bullseye gets slightly more fuzzy, but my groups are tighter.

With or without the +0.5 glasses, one 'trick' I'll use to get good focus on the front sight is to drop my aim well below the target, maybe at the base of the berm but at least below the target. Usually just exhaling a bit will change the point of aim enough. Having a different background at a different distance seems to help re-establish front sight focus. Once I get a good focus, I'll inhale and bring the sight blade back to a 6:00 hold. If you are in a good position with the sling & elbow directly under the rifle, your breathing should move the sight straight up and down.

Finally got a range day in with the new M1.
Delinked LC 1967, 100 yards benchrest SR1 target. Sixteen shots, I called both flyers. I have GOT to get more range time to practice with the sling, and to test some reloads.

I think I've spent too much time with optics... I need to work on my eyes. It seems I can't focus on the front sight and target at the same time.

attachment.php

Seem to be doing well by your target.
You don't and your eyes can not focus on the front sight and target at the same time.
Focus on the front and put the front on or on the black blob.
Corrective eye wear for shooting is a balancing act. My daily Rx is +1.5 my shooting Rx is +.50 for anything inside 300 yards and +.25 for 600

Back
Top Bottom