Riverview Sales E. Windsor, CT

I had a chance to stop by yesterday morning on my way through CT and what a nice surprise. A good size shop with a nice unpredictable stock (which doesn't come through on it's limited website). By unpredictable I mean that they had some nice used equipment (beyond guns) that I found some incredible treasures in box of used mags. 4 pre-ban high-cap Sig Brand P226 mags in near perfect shape with only light scratching on the finish- $15 each!! New, they run about $40/each retail and on Gun Broker they go for about $30 + shipping, which clocks in at $35 or so. They also had a nice selection of ammo-a whole aisle on the customer side of the counter (I like that as I enjoy looking at the ammo, considering my purchase and looking for deals) They had a wall of holsters. The service was polite, not overly friendly and yes, they had a meaty selection of guns I can't have due to my Ma**h*** status, Kimber, Magnum Research, Colt, Springfield...how about a new XD or a sharp 1911 or even a new .40 Baby Eagle compact for <$500?

That made me a little f*king nuts for about 10 minutes.

C'est la vie.

Still, I recommend stopping by if your heading south on Rt 91 around the CT/MA border.

Last edited:
Riverview Sales, E Windsor CT

Has anyone been to Riverview in the last few months?

Dave has nearly doubled the size of his shop. More racks, more glass cases, more guns, more spacious aisles, more accessories - more everything (except scarce ammo)!

I'm from Maine, but I have to do business just north of Hartford and its an easy stop just off from I-91. I've done a little business with him, a couple of FFL transfer purchases to Maine, ammo and such. Very good dealings overall and now the place is BIGGER!

Just passing the word.

Has anyone been to Riverview in the last few months?
Yup. They are just up the road from me, so I stop in every once in a while to check things out or if I need a FFL transfer.

They usually have a very good selection of guns and ammo on hand and their prices seem reasonable.

it seems like everytime i go in there, i go unnoticed. the place is pretty nice though. its about double the size it used to be. they just dont like us younger guys i guess. i have noticed that at a lot of shops. oh well [thinking]

it seems like everytime i go in there, i go unnoticed.

The security cameras sure see you!

Actually, they've got a young(er) fella behind the counter now as well. My guess would be mid to late twenties. Might not be as hard now to strike up a conversation as it was in the past.

This is a nice shop with a huge selection of goodies. Nice people too. They have a good selection of Reloading powders. However they were out of primers:(

went there today.

was very impressed with the store itself. lots of gear, acceptable to good prices. lots of small stuff you dont run into in most stores. Magpul followers, AR 15 front sight tools, and a BIG HONKIN wall of holsters from Desantis, Fobus, Blackhawk, Unclemikes and more.

lots of mags for all kinds of guns, glock mags overflowing, GSG5 and .22AK mags, and enough PMags to make me cry.

creates of Mosin Nagant 91/30's seperated by year range.

though it was alittle inconvenient... that stack of Stag AR15's in the middle of the isle. [laugh]

now the great ammount of products aside, service left much to be desired. atleast 4 people behind the counter and i never once got any greeting, offer for assistance etc. i only spoke to the staff twice. once to ask if they had any bulk 5.56. which i was told they didnt. and once at check out.

i wouldnt say the service was bad. it just wasnt good.

Been in that shop about 4-5 times. They had a scope rail in wanted for my Winchester shootie. The help was helpful only if you ask, which I'm OK with. Not overly friendly, but I'm sure they have browser burnout.

Hmmmm

Yeah I've been in this place quite a few times, and the owner was an absolute @ss. Dave brings the worst used car salesman traits, and tactics to the gun world. He's pushy, and the guys that work there are not what I would refer to as experts. Good looking store, but the prices were astronomical compared to the other guy across the river in Windsor Locks. The other guy across the river in Windsor Locks is priced much better than Riverview.

Yeah I've been in this place quite a few times, and the owner was an absolute @ss. Dave brings the worst used car salesman traits, and tactics to the gun world. He's pushy, and the guys that work there are not what I would refer to as experts. Good looking store, but the prices were astronomical compared to the other guy across the river in Windsor Locks. The other guy across the river in Windsor Locks is priced much better than Riverview.

That wouldn't be because you are "The other guy across the river in Windsor Locks....", would it?

Hmmmm....

I'm an out of state buyer from Maine, and picked up three of the MN's from the crates at Riverview. They made every accomodation possible for me, including handing me a towel to wipe cosmoline and even opening a new crate so I could have first pick!

I chose a '28 and '30 Hex matching Tulas, and a '42 Izzy in mint, mint condition (all 91/30's) for $350 OTD. They even let me paw through the accessories for the matching bayos, then held them all aside for two weeks to clear NICS.

I've bought five guns and plenty of ammo, parts and accessories from Dave over the past couple years and he'll always listened to reasonable offers.

Clean, clean shop. And don't forget to pat Taffy.

I have been there a bunch of times and they were over priced compared to Hoffman's and Newington. They were selling American Eagle 9mm at 23.99 when other stores were selling it for 12.99 or less. I asked and they said that was the cheapest they could go and tried to sell me reloads that were still more expensive than the American Eagle elsewhere.

Love Riverview Sales in East Winsor, CT

My husband and I had a real surprise when we visited Riverview Sales for the first time! The owner Dave and an employee Chris were more then helpful, extremely knowledgeable and very accommodating. Such a difference from Hoffman's in Newington~~they don't even wait on you, and they are not even busy--just self absorbed I guess [thinking]
We will be back for our Christmas shopping, so glad we found Riverview Sales.. Keep up the great work and prices!!
Love the doggie too, but they wouldn't let me buy him.. [laugh]

I have done business with Dave and he has always conducted himself in a professional manner. I have also referred friends to his shop that will say exactly the same thing.

Learn How to Properly Address Your Customers & You Might Sell Something

After swearing this place off months ago I found myself there this morning; I was in the area so I dropped in. Had the guy in his 50's with the mustache and glasses not addressed me like I was some type of d-bag, maybe I would have snagged a few boxes of rounds since I was there. Instead I just left, and now I am sharing it. Thanks for nothing Riverview, again.

The only time I have ever had a good ecperience in there is when perusing through the AR accessories they have. I was asked if I needed any help by a larger young guy with glasses. He seemed to be pretty nice. Other than that I have yet to receive any sort of acknowledgment that I was even in the store. From now on, Anthony's Collectibles across the river will get my business. Every time I have been in there I have been treated like I should.

been there a number of times and like most any place open to the public it aint all good and it aint all bad.
Dave is approachable if you catch him right. the rest of the staff are helpful when asked but bear watching also.
i have noticed how some of them like to play with the merchandise; and wrist-closing cylinders on a new gun is abusive!
that aside, if you know your prices you can find some value there. i'd rate it some where between hoffmans & NGX.
though NGX aint what it was 4 or so years ago when Larry was at the helm. lot of employee burn out there.

Interesting read here. Funny how perceptions are for different people. I think I have experienced a little bit of everything there. I am relatively new to guns, from Mass and have been to as many stores here in Spfld area and several in Ct., including Hoffmans. Out of them all, I have noted the sales forces to all exihibit a little bit of an "attidude" at times. I attribute that to dealing with live ammo and guns daily, has to have an affect on one. On one hand, you may not want to approach a potential customer unless he asks for help, "ya never know what kind of mood they are in or if they are carrying". :) Seriously though, who wants a salesman hanging over them. I think they just give us room and are there when we ask for help. Are they knowledgeable... maybe not on everything, lets face it, couple hundred years of guns out here, hard to be knowledgeable about everything. I know nothing, just learning but feel, the guys over there have been helpful with me when I asked questions, are they the ultimate experts... heck no, do you know more, maybe. By the sounds of the guys sharing here, you are knowledgeable, so is your intent to show just how experienced you are at the expense of the sales force at Riverview? I did my homework for some ":stuff" I wanted, an Eotec site combo, I think I knew a little more about it in the end when I went to purchase it there, I knew the prices out there and Dave's price was "fair" on top of it, Dave gave me a little bit better price, and was more than helpful. I also have been buying ammo there. They have been the cheapest I have found anywhere.... I think Dave has bought more bulk lately, which allows for a better price and he has passed his savings down to us. Is everything cheaper... heck no, but from what I have seen.. fair prices, good service, most of the time, unbelieveable inventory and free popcorn!!! I'll be heading over there tonight or tomorrow for a couple of things, some 22 mags and some earphones.. for those guys that felt slighted, tell them, grab Dave and tell him or Chris or whoever is there. Maybe you can fix em instead of leaving mad cause they didn't "acknowledge" you... My first impression wasn't good either, but now I feel welcome, spent a few bucks, getting to know the boys a little bit and looking forward to my next trip down.. best inventory around!!!

Last edited:
Ok, made another trip down... spent another $400.00 and feelin good about it... ammo, ear protection muffs, AR15 accessories.... yep... and a bag of popcorn.. :)

I have bought several guns here but after my last experience I will not be going back. I have never been treated so rudely in any retail establishment ever. I don't know his name, but the older guy with glasses and stash (owner?) is very rude and has apparently never heard the old adage of "the customer is always right". I'll take my business elsewhere.

I was at the shop when they opened at around 9 am. 3 guys there including the owner. I thought that they were a good bunch of guys - gave me some time to peruse, answered my questions, and tried to sell a few things to me. I ended not buying anything but I will be back there next time they have their M and Ps on sale. where else can you find new SW snubbies for under 300 bucks. I have no financial ties to this shop but they gave me good service thus deserve a fair assesment. yup, they have a lot of goodies in that shop. will come back definitely in the future.

I'm really shocked to hear all the negative comments about Riverview Sales.I've been there many times over the last 1 1/2 years and have always had great experiences there. Dave,Chris and all the guys have been extremely helpful and polite every time I've been there even when just browsing. Was just there last weekend and bought a S&W 1911 3" compact and Dave did the transfer later that day so I could have it and be out shooting right away.[smile]

My buddy that was with me must of looked at 10 different rifles and he even commented to me later how nice they were and not pressuring you into buying anything,the store was really busy too because they were having a promo day.I've bought 3 1911's from Dave and will definitely be back.[thumbsup]

Back
Top Bottom