• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

riverview gun shop in CT

I believe the appeal period is over, they didn't appeal so the decision is final.

It looks like they gave him a lot of rope and he still hung himself. He was under the microscope long before Lanza.

Last edited:
wow, they didn't even realize 11 guns had been stolen over the course of a year by that one guy? Who's in charge of the books down there that they didn't realize they were missing thousands of dollars?

^^^squatch, i'm with you. and nice to see another 413 resident!

The document states the agency inspected and found violations at Riverview in 2007, 2009, and 2011.

During the one in 2011, "the licensee committed over 500 violations," ATF documents stated.

The ATF inspection in 2011 revealed that Riverview employees:

Allowed a man who said he was a felon to buy ammo and handle firearms.
Let someone buy a firearm and didn't do background check until the next day.
Sold firearms to two people without checking if they were prohibited from buying.

The ATF though did find fault with Riverview Gun Sales Owner David Laguercia, who is the federal firearms license holder.

According to ATF documents, "between September 2004 and January 2010, the licensee received 11 separate instances of instruction from the ATF regarding how to comply with federal firearms laws and regulations."

"The large number of repeat violations demonstrates that, the licensee and his employees purposefully disregarded and/or were plainly indifferent to their Gun Control Act obligations," according to ATF documents.

Well, they can still sell accessories and lingerie.

Good timely bookkeeping and accurate data entry, plus regular physical inventory checks... Same goes everywhere, even inside your house. I guess the key is knowing your weaknesses and finding solutions to make up for those.

Sounds like he was very bad at keeping his act together. I've had several ATF audits and have found that if all is OK at the beginning, they slow down or stop looking. However, they themselves are not perfect. One year the inspector came in with copies of "all" of my NFA forms 2 and 3. I looked at them and told him that I would make copies of the two he was missing. He was not surprised. Jack.

HaHA! They caught the guy stealing a 50 cal.... what, it didn't fit down his pants like the AR did?

LOLOL

I think that guy NEEDED to be shut down. He was out of control, and that's not good for US to have guns walking out of stores like that. If the ATF didn't shut him down, his accountant should have.

HaHA! They caught the guy stealing a 50 cal.... what, it didn't fit down his pants like the AR did?

LOLOL

I think that guy NEEDED to be shut down. He was out of control, and that's not good for US to have guns walking out of stores like that. If the ATF didn't shut him down, his accountant should have.
So if someone robs oxycontin from CVS they should lose their pharmaceutical license?

Dave had guns flying out of that place, never mind everything else. His staff had aneurysm's trying to just sell stuff never mind keep paperwork manageable. Not an excuse, just a small businessman that was looking at profits and not hiring someone to manage the state and federal side of the business, he was trying to be a one man show. In the end, he nailed himself. I'm surprised, given all the hardware being sold, that more shops aren't going the same way Dave's shop did, either that or there's many a owner scrambling right now to get their shit in order so as they aren't the next one to go down. Given the climate of today, I don't think you'll find the forgiveness in ATF that they gave Riverview in past years.

Prescriptions are like gun licenses an endgame to liberty. Let adults be adults.
They sold to people they knew were criminals and had a lot of chances. It doesn't sound like this guy made a few mistakes or had a bad employee. I think this guy is bad for our side too. This is a guy store version of some idiot who leaves his loaded gun on the kitchen table and his 5 year old kills himself or someone. The guy looks to be irresponsible and a mess.

If someone is out on the street they should be able to defend themselves like you or I. The atf has done far shadier stuff than almost any felon. In a lot of state you can leave yob gun on the table doesn't make you a bad guy. Now he maybe responsible and a mess and a terrible bookkeeper but to demonize him is a little much. Funny all this coincides with Sandy Hook...

So if someone robs oxycontin from CVS they should lose their pharmaceutical license?
Hell yes. Well, not just once, and we're not talking about armed robbery (well, sort of not talking about armed robbery, lol). We're talking about the guns walking out of the store and nobody knowing about it. Again and again and again and again and again (stop me when I get to 12 for just this one guy) and again and again and...
He was a nice enough of a guy, but absolutely negligent. He gives gun owners and sellers a bad name.
This

Dave had guns flying out of that place, never mind everything else. His staff had aneurysm's trying to just sell stuff never mind keep paperwork manageable. Not an excuse, just a small businessman that was looking at profits and not hiring someone to manage the state and federal side of the business, he was trying to be a one man show. In the end, he nailed himself. I'm surprised, given all the hardware being sold, that more shops aren't going the same way Dave's shop did, either that or there's many a owner scrambling right now to get their shit in order so as they aren't the next one to go down. Given the climate of today, I don't think you'll find the forgiveness in ATF that they gave Riverview in past years.
This

He had 40+ guns disappear from inventory and it took the police to tell him they were missing
He let handguns out of the store without doing a background check
He let a declared felon buy ammo and handle a firearm
He was warned numerous times by the ATF before they finally shut him down.

He deserves to lose his FFL and he is damn lucky if they don't prosecute him and toss him in jail.

And to answer your question, yes a pharmacy that repeatedly has controlled substances go missing due to internal theft or incompetence should lose it's license.

Back
Top Bottom