• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Riverside IDPA

By the way, no one shot that rifle stage with the elan that I did, did they?

No one could have shot a cleaner set of targets than you. [wink]

Nickle said:
DR said:
By the way, no one shot that rifle stage with the elan that I did, did they?

No one could have shot a cleaner set of targets than you. [wink]

Do you mean "Clean" as in NO bullet holes?

I'll never tell, and neither will either of my true friends on this board.

DR said:
Do you mean "Clean" as in NO bullet holes?

He had a good excuse: shooting an unfamiliar rifle and all.

Don't give him any hints -- he will take things out of context, exaggerate, and publish to the masses.

(besides I just bought that rifle a month or two ago)

DR, you are one funny guy.

Aw, shucks, it's not me; I just have great material to work with.

(I can safely mock you this match: I haven't shot any really fast misses for at least a month. Ancient history, practically.)

DR said:
DR, you are one funny guy.

Aw, shucks, it's not me; I just have great material to work with.

(I can safely mock you this match: I haven't shot any really fast misses for at least a month. Ancient history, practically.)

Dead and buried -- until you just resurrected it!

So, Darius, tell me more about the course of fire for IDPA. I may be interested, and you'll have some laughs then. I'm only so-so with a pistol (but I do qualify first try as a Guardsman, Sharpshooter at that).

Nickle,

We emphasized some of the more difficult pistol shooting skills -- shooting from behind cover weak hand at seven yards, shooting kneeling at 20 yards, and prone at 40 yards.

The rifle shooting was from a seated position, shooting a (my) MAK-90 at 20 and 40 yards, followed by two shots with 12 ga. slugs at clay pigeons hung at 7 yards, a swinger, a hostage and various targets out to about 30 yards.

Also, we had a somewhat complex low light stage, and a stage where you engaged a target at seven yards with six shots, reloaded and reengaged with another 6. The best shooters did this stage in well under ten seconds.

Almost all of the IDPA targets were covered by t-shirts, increasing the difficulty considerably.

Sounds like fun AND good practice. I like this better than IPSC. I'm not impressed with those boys. Squib shooting, sneaker and shorts wearing clowns that would choke with real loads in a real situation.

Nickle said:
Sounds like fun AND good practice. I like this better than IPSC. I'm not impressed with those boys. Squib shooting, sneaker and shorts wearing clowns that would choke with real loads in a real situation.

At Riverside, with Chris Siano's adroit leadership, we are trying to keep it real, while developing the proficiency of shooters young and old. Already in our club we have two who have made it to IDPA Expert, and are nipping at the heels of making Master.

Next season we hope to have even more interesting matches, some fun shoots, and Classifiers sprinkled throughout the season.

Let me jump in and add it was a great time. My first official IDPA event after attending Chris' Handgunner I class last month. Taking that class made all the difference in the world, as I at least had a bit of a clue as to how things would work, which allowed me to enjoy myself a lot more at the match.

The courses of fire were more interesting than I had imagined they would be. Obviously lots of thought and planning has to go into making this stuff fun while having some real practical value. I still can't say I've digested everything I actually learned as a result, but for instance, on the low light stage, I pulled my magazines from the duffel bag and stuffed them in my strong side pants pocket instinctively, which made the mandatory reload slow and sloppy. Great stage.

I especially liked the "three gun" stage too. Far too much fun! I just bought a Remington 870 a couple weeks ago and haven't even shot it yet, so getting to use one under these conditions was very cool.

Very impressive to watch some of these guys shoot. Incredible smoothness, from the draw all the way to the end of the courses of fire was something to take note of with some of the shooters I had the pleasure of watching.

And, of course, while I will avoid an "I Love You, Man", moment, the guys were great and again very helpful. No BS. Lots of helpful advice. I even learned a few new excuses.

Big thanks to Darius, Jon, Michael, and Gene, and the rest of the crew who ran a great event. Who do we have to harrass to make sure there's another one in October?

Steve

Ozman said:
Let me jump in and add it was a great time. My first official IDPA event after attending Chris' Handgunner I class last month. Taking that class made all the difference in the world, as I at least had a bit of a clue as to how things would work, which allowed me to enjoy myself a lot more at the match.

The courses of fire were more interesting than I had imagined they would be. Obviously lots of thought and planning has to go into making this stuff fun while having some real practical value. I still can't say I've digested everything I actually learned as a result, but for instance, on the low light stage, I pulled my magazines from the duffel bag and stuffed them in my strong side pants pocket instinctively, which made the mandatory reload slow and sloppy. Great stage.

I especially liked the "three gun" stage too. Far too much fun! I just bought a Remington 870 a couple weeks ago and haven't even shot it yet, so getting to use one under these conditions was very cool.

Very impressive to watch some of these guys shoot. Incredible smoothness, from the draw all the way to the end of the courses of fire was something to take note of with some of the shooters I had the pleasure of watching.

And, of course, while I will avoid an "I Love You, Man", moment, the guys were great and again very helpful. No BS. Lots of helpful advice. I even learned a few new excuses.

Big thanks to Darius, Jon, Michael, and Gene, and the rest of the crew who ran a great event. Who do we have to harrass to make sure there's another one in October?

Steve

Thanks for the compliments, Steve.

At this point, the main stumbling block for an October match is finding a Match Director. There are only a couple candidates -- Michael Joffe and Chris Siano. I suggest placing your bet on Chris. Send him a PM thru this board -- his handle, oddly enough, is Chris.

Cross-X said:
And on that stage, I tried to make up for it by doing some speed shooting at the bad guy hiding behind the hostage. Too bad I drilled the hostage three times!

But at least you got the bad guy! Hey, you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs, Napoleon!

dwarven1 said:
Cross-X said:
And on that stage, I tried to make up for it by doing some speed shooting at the bad guy hiding behind the hostage. Too bad I drilled the hostage three times!

But at least you got the bad guy! Hey, you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs, Napoleon!

Actually, I _did_ break the hostage's eggs!

I'll drop Chris a line, but I have to make sure my three and a half year old girl is our of the room first. His avatar gave her nightmates all last week! ;)

Since I'm a glutton for punishment, any idea when the results from the match might be posted?

Thanks

Steve

Ozman said:
I'll drop Chris a line, but I have to make sure my three and a half year old girl is our of the room first. His avatar gave her nightmates all last week! ;)

Since I'm a glutton for punishment, any idea when the results from the match might be posted?

Thanks

Steve

Very soon. Jon Green tabulated them Saturday night. Chris should publish them to the Riverside IDPA email list very soon.

Cross-X said:
dwarven1 said:
Cross-X said:

Actually, I _did_ break the hostage's eggs!

Both of them? Wow... nice shooting!

BTW... I got a note on the Riverside IDPA list that there was a new file uploaded today, so I think that the results are in.

[quote="Cross-X Very soon. Jon Green tabulated them Saturday night. Chris should publish them to the Riverside IDPA email list very soon.[/quote]

Thanks Darius.

Back
Top Bottom