RISK OF COMING TO MASS GUNSMITH

rewster

NES Member
I live in RI. What risks am I subject to if I bring a couple of guns across the border to a Mass gunsmith ????

Inquiring minds want to know !! Before I get locked up ! :rolleyes:

What about shipping to said gunsmith? Perhaps ridiculous if the gunsmith is only 10 minutes away, but if legal it's better than letting Maura go in dry.

let me just answer how 99% of the members want to but have to be politically correct. for crissake, toss them in the f***ing car and drive them to the smith. it doesn't get any simpler than that. have your mother write you a note excusing little rewster of any wrong doing. [devil]

I guess I must be the 1% who says it's not worth a felony and either the monstrous fine or actually doing time in Federal prison.

"Illegal carrying of a firearm is a felony with a mandatory minimum in Massachusetts. Under this provision (MGL ch. 269, s.10(a)), it is illegal to carry a firearm unless:

• You’re in your home or business, or
  • You have a license
This can be either a felony or a misdemeanor. There is also a mandatory minimum of 18 months to serve if it’s charged as a misdemeanor. This cannot be suspended, and it must be served day-for-day. This section applies whether the firearm is loaded or unloaded.

The charge could be amended to a “10h” gun possession with no mandatory minimum, but that would be up to the prosecutor. You could also argue this at trial to a judge or jury.

If the firearm was loaded and you did not have a license, an additional 2.5 years in the house of corrections is mandatory. This has to be served after the initial 18-month mandatory minimum. However, the sentence could be suspended for a period of probation."

I live in RI. What risks am I subject to if I bring a couple of guns across the border to a Mass gunsmith ????

Inquiring minds want to know !! Before I get locked up ! :rolleyes:
If you are headed to Dave Santurri, the last time I spoke with Dave he was living in RI. So contacting him and handing him the guns on your side of the border with a similar pickup would keep things nice and legal. Just a thought.

I guess I must be the 1% who says it's not worth a felony and either the monstrous fine or actually doing time in Federal prison.

"Illegal carrying of a firearm is a felony with a mandatory minimum in Massachusetts. Under this provision (MGL ch. 269, s.10(a)), it is illegal to carry a firearm unless:

• You’re in your home or business, or
  • You have a license
This can be either a felony or a misdemeanor. There is also a mandatory minimum of 18 months to serve if it’s charged as a misdemeanor. This cannot be suspended, and it must be served day-for-day. This section applies whether the firearm is loaded or unloaded.

The charge could be amended to a “10h” gun possession with no mandatory minimum, but that would be up to the prosecutor. You could also argue this at trial to a judge or jury.

If the firearm was loaded and you did not have a license, an additional 2.5 years in the house of corrections is mandatory. This has to be served after the initial 18-month mandatory minimum. However, the sentence could be suspended for a period of probation."
Why would someone do time in a federal prison for braking mass gun law?

Someone really needs to inform AFS about this, lol.
They've been informed a number of times, including an unsolicited (by me) conversation with the trustee who "owns" the business . . . he assured me that nobody employed there ever told a customer that MSP gave them an exemption.[rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

The truth would significantly hurt their business.

Someone really needs to inform AFS about this, lol.
The pay ranges don't care, they're not going to turn people away. (Unwashed foreigners bringing guns to shoot there) happens at all the pay ranges in MA. When Bobs was open NH people even used to drive there lol....

They've been informed a number of times, including an unsolicited (by me) conversation with the trustee who "owns" the business . . . he assured me that nobody employed there ever told a customer that MSP gave them an exemption.[rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

The truth would significantly hurt their business.

The pay ranges don't care, they're not going to turn people away. (Unwashed foreigners bringing guns to shoot there) happens at all the pay ranges in MA. When Bobs was open NH people even used to drive there lol....

This particular range in MA is owned/run almost exclusively by Rhode Islanders and caters to the RI crowd. I still can't figure out for the life of me why they don't do anything to attract the MA crowd. I also can't believe it has never popped up on M's radar since she could nab out of staters on a daily basis if she wanted to, there are more out of State plates in the parking lot than MA plates. There was a time when they had a "competition" to justify out of staters coming, they were shelling out $1600/mo in gift card prize money and telling people from RI that it gave them cover to bring guns from out of state for a competition.

What exactly do you need done? Can you take just parts to the smith and not the whole firearm?

When I got my slide milled I only brought the slide, engraving for a firm 1 only a stripped lower, barrel chop or pin and weld just the barrel, etc.

This particular range in MA is owned/run almost exclusively by Rhode Islanders and caters to the RI crowd. I still can't figure out for the life of me why they don't do anything to attract the MA crowd. I also can't believe it has never popped up on M's radar since she could nab out of staters on a daily basis if she wanted to, there are more out of State plates in the parking lot than MA plates. There was a time when they had a "competition" to justify out of staters coming, they were shelling out $1600/mo in gift card prize money and telling people from RI that it gave them cover to bring guns from out of state for a competition.
It's not like mass people don't know its there, its been there forever, and tons of MA people used to shoot there, too, at one time. Pay ranges in MA used to be all about AFS, Bobs, and S&W (those three were it). Then MFS came and now CGW, Gun Parlor, Hot Brass etc.

If I was going to make a WAG its "because armpit region. " Draw a line between the northeast corner of RI and draw it diagonally so it goes like through Quincy. That's pretty much armpit
region/gun sahara desert in MA. Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, the $$$$$ for gun stuff down there as a market is like maybe 50% vs North Shore or Metrowest is. Or at least
it gets cyclical. its killed a lot of shops over the years.

I bet there is more gun money in RI than in that region.

FWIW before you think im bashing the armpit too much, I'm in Nocentma, which is easily probably considered the other armpit/gun desert by most. Nocentma doesnt have shit for
gun shops, and if not for the relative proximity of the Mill, It'd be REALLY bad here. Oooh we have GUN PARLOR (/puke) and a few shops nobody cares about. Most of the shops
here pop up and fail in a few years or less with a few exceptions. IMHO Nocentma has the same problem the armpit region does, there isnt as much gun money there to support shops
etc.... or a massive amount of skinflints. AFS pulls RI because theres gun money there.

Last edited:
Probably, then why not build one in the Bucket? I get that it's an institution, however they do zero marketing/outreach in MA and plenty in RI. They cater to bachelor parties and RI Riffraff on weekend mornings and LEO/agencies during the week. One thing they do that I like is Tuesday night Ladies Night (ladies shoot free after 6pm) so if you like big hair RI chicks, that's the place to be. Lots and lots of out of staters bring guns there which I just do not understand.

AFS pulls RI because theres gun money there.

Two things regarding this:

(1) There are no brick and mortar gun shops in the city of Providence, though there are two in Pawtucket and there is a kitchen table FFL run by some low level politician in Providence that does like one or two transfers a year. Meaning, for most people in the Providence area, they have to drive out of the city to see or buy a gun.

(2) There are no rental ranges in Providence County. The nearest ones within RI are probably a half hour to 45 minutes south or east in Coventry and Tiverton. Which, for someone not understanding the difference between RI and Mass gun laws, is a bit nonsensical and unintuitive of a drive. Someone from Providence is more likely to go to Attleboro than Tiverton. I saw the opposite happen quite a lot, Mass customers in RI gun shops, back when I lived in RI. Fall River people in Newport County shops, Attleboro people in Pawtucket shops, etc. Point being, AFS is an easier place to find for someone in Providence or Bristol counties than some place out in RI's southern or eastern parts.

Regarding the OP's question, I'm going to assume he's talking about Dave Santurri. My practical advice is to do one of these:

(a) If it's a handgun slide or other non-regulated part, like having a handgun slide milled, mail it to Santurri after you've spoken to him;

(b) If it's a gun, and you absolutely want to do business with Santurri, mail/UPS/FedEx it to him either by FFL-to-FFL or by yourself. Look into the law involving shipping guns, or preferably see if Santurri will provide a shipping label. Again, confirm with Santurri first; or

(c) Find someone else to do business with. There's a couple gunsmiths in RI that are ok for minor things. A more specialized gunsmith is someone you'll have to ship to. Santurri has a good reputation, but I've never heard of him having a specific niche reputation outside of handguns, specifically 1911s, and 1911 gunsmiths are fairly common.

Last edited by a moderator:
The person who created AFS as his dream business sadly died suddenly a few years after he started the business. He left his best friend as trustee of the estate to manage the business. Said trustee is a Boston attorney who has no real interest in guns (from what I could tell talking with him a few times). He hired Matt to manage it for him. Said attorney was very upset when he was made aware of the mis-information on legality of RI visitors and contacted me (I was a Mod at that time), he told me that no employee ever said such things and that was that. Spin forward a few more years and BATFE was bent out of shape about RI gang members renting/visiting at AFS and demanded that AFS hold DLs or LTCs, make copies for all that visit the range and give the copies to BATFE. I have no idea if this is still happening. I haven't been to AFS in probably 4-5 yrs now.

Back
Top Bottom