• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

RIP Vermont: update the restrictions passed the House

I've said here before that Vermont is a beautiful place to live if you like a rural lifestyle, but it is slowly being destroyed by liberal politics and welfare. Never mind the fact that the state has some real economic problems that are going to be catching up soon.

If Scott signs this he's sure to be a one-and-done governor. The Dem candidate that he defeated in the governors race made gun control a campaign issue and she lost.

It appears that Scott as of yesterday supports the legislation including the restriction on gun mags that can hold more than 10 rounds. Does it matter if he is one and done and the damage is already done if he signs the bill into law?

Republican Gov. Phil Scott said Thursday that lawmakers had done some good work on the bill and said he could see himself supporting a magazine limit depending the details of the provision.

Vermont House votes for gun restrictions

Last edited:
If this becomes law, it will be interesting to see what Century International does. They have a large facility just north of BTV in Georgia and employ something close to 200 people. Given their product line I'll assume there are quite a few guns with >10 round mags.

Did VT ban all mags over 10 rounds, or is there a 'preban' clause? Not seeing any details for this.

CMP Vermont Games at Camp Ethan Allen are an awesome time & the High Power competition is one of the highlights. Being from Mass, I have the ugly-@ss 20-round prebans to be Mass legal as well as High Power 'legal'. Has VT gone full-Cali-retard and banned everything over 10?

Unlike NH, the Vermont legislature website doesn't seem to link to amendments so I cannot read the language of what the house passed. Maybe Vermont activists who know their state legislature website better than me can find it.

"A ban on magazines that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition, except for magazines that are possessed when the law takes effect."

From the bottom part of this article

'Assault weapons' left out as VT gun bill moves forward
Also from the article:
A ban on magazines that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition, except for magazines that are possessed when the law takes effect.
If it passes the VT Senate, and if signed, welcome to the sad, weird world of pre-ban/post-ban magazines Green Mountaineers.

If it passes the VT Senate, and if signed, welcome to the sad, weird world of pre-ban/post-ban magazines Green Mountaineers.
A "pre-ban" date that has zero obvious verification method other than receipts... which most won't have. This isn't like the nationwide one. They would be in the same boat as CO and NY.

Bernie Sanders claims residency there, and is a US Senator from there. They are as f**ked as we are here in NH with the influx of Liberal pantloads in the last 30 years.

1. Teens are insatiable. They're ALWAYS demanding action.

2. Why do we continue to link to Boston Glob stories?

3. Teenagers are by definition human pupae. Why are we listening to them? "Seen and not heard" and all that.

Fine. Let's listen to a catholic church for a change:

Cardinal Cupich

I’m at @stsabinachurch to bless Chicago youth joining the March for Our Lives in Washington, D.C. Let us listen to the voice of our young people and support stronger gun-safety measures.

Fine. Let's listen to a catholic church for a change:

Cardinal Cupich

I’m at @stsabinachurch to bless Chicago youth joining the March for Our Lives in Washington, D.C. Let us listen to the voice of our young people and support stronger gun-safety measures.

Sadly, the Catholic Church has gone around the bend quite some time ago. There's a reason they're bleeding adherents at record rates.

The current pope isn't even really Catholic. I don't have high hopes for the church not going the way of Anglicans, Episcopalians, or American Jewery.

If there is a Lawyer on this forum, can you please explain, how, when a State passes a Law, the Law doesn't apply to State agents? For example, if I can't have a magazine over 10 rounds, why are the police allowed to have them? Doesn't the Law create a protected separate class, which is illegal?
I am not asking to sound like a wise guy, I really don't understand it. Shouldn't the Law apply to everyone equally?

The same way the military has things you would be a terrorist if you owned, or if they kept after leaving the job. Its property of the gov, not the individual. That does bring up corporations having more rights than living humans though

If there is a Lawyer on this forum, can you please explain, how, when a State passes a Law, the Law doesn't apply to State agents? For example, if I can't have a magazine over 10 rounds, why are the police allowed to have them? Doesn't the Law create a protected separate class, which is illegal?
I am not asking to sound like a wise guy, I really don't understand it. Shouldn't the Law apply to everyone equally?

They are often specifically exempt in the law.

Shouldn't the Law apply to everyone equally?

The constitution specifically forbids special privileges & titles of nobility in addition to the 14th amendment which specifies equal protection & rights under law for all persons under jurisdiction of the US government. Is that ever enforced against .gov employee carve outs? No!

Should civil rights lawfare groups be suing over this violation by state legislatures and congress? YES YES YES!

The one serious miscalculation that Vermonters made was that the live and let live situation they had up there would last.
There is no live and let live with liberals, They want what you have , all of it.
Your freedom, your property , your money and your children.
It's like keep a venomous snake as a pet, the thing is going to bite you eventually no matter how you feel about it
The plan to f*ck them over was always there just waiting.
As far as their "R" governor , start checking bank statements and see how much he's been on the phone to NY.

I work in VT. A lot of my co-workers are gun owners, but still have that "FUDD" mentality. "Oh, I don't mind universal background checks. Oh, well, I already have my 30rd magazines. Oh, well, I'm way over 21 anyway." Chip, chip, chip. Bit by bit, they just don't get that they are giving away the store piece by piece.

Also from the article:

It won't be too weird given that it basically, on paper looks like a completely decorative, pretty much unenforceable mag ban much like the one in Colorado. Devil is in the details of course.

-Mike

You don't have to be a lawyer to figure out that the kopsch (and the DAs etc) aren't going to prosecute "their"
people... And if it's codified in the law(s), protected classes are definitely not illegal.

Yeah, the idea makes our stomachs turn, but that doesn't make it illegal, on paper...

-Mike

The constitution specifically forbids special privileges & titles of nobility in addition to the 14th amendment which specifies equal protection & rights under law for all persons under jurisdiction of the US government. Is that ever enforced against .gov employee carve outs? No!

Should civil rights lawfare groups be suing over this violation by state legislatures and congress? YES YES YES!

If you do some digging I bet that's been struck down by shitty case law somewhere along the line. Or its one of those old shitty supreme court decisions that nobody wants to be bothered into overturning (eg, like Slaughterhouse etc). There are so many laws that allow for this that it would have been challenged by now.

Not to mention even if by some miracle, we somehow blew a million bucks to punish the police (and I bet at best, the supremes would only make them vulnerable while off duty) that's not going to somehow upset the police enough to make them change the law... and they will still be immune via TBL anyways...

ETA: Actually DC would have been the perfect place to test this- LE exempt in DC from carry/possession ban before Heller, would have been open and shut... but I suspect there are very good reasons that Levy / Gura didn't even bother attempting to use that angle. (not to mention it would have made the NRA's day because it might not have been a 2A case at that point, but I digress.... )

-Mike

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom