• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

RIOT IN BOSTON.; Gun-Shops Broken Open and Sacked. The Mob Promptly Dispersed by the

Of course, this took place quite some time ago.. I came across this while searching for something else. My first reaction was "gunshops in Boston?". Then I realized the date. Kind of hard to imagine this wasn't always such a moonbat state when it came to firearms. In fact, I can't think of a single remaining gunshop left in the city since Bob Smith's closed down.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9B04E5DC1E3BE63BBC4E52DFB1668388679FDE

July 16, 1863, Wednesday

RIOT IN BOSTON.; Gun-Shops Broken Open and Sacked The Mob Promptly Dispersed by the Military.

Page 8, 332 words

Quite a disturbance, but hardly amounting to a riot, occurred in the north part of the city this afternoon. The rioters have dispersed and no further outbreak is anticipated.

The Police and Military are stationed in different parts of the City.

At the attack on the armory in Cooper streeet, one of the rioters was killed and another fatally wounded. Wm. Wenee, an aged citizen, who resided in the street and was looking on, was also killled. Several persons were wounded.

A gun store in Dock square was broken open, but the Police rallied and by the use of their revolvers quickly dispersed the rioters, but not before one or two of the latter were wounded.

I checked the link to confirm my guess that this was in relation to the anti-draft riots during the Civil War. Things got even more heated in New York City if I recall my history correctly.

No, I'm not quite old enough to recall it from personal experience...[laugh]

I love the fact that this was just a small blurb on the page, whereas today it would be ad nauseum for three days on the 24x7s and weeks before the news magazine shows forgot about it.

Back
Top Bottom