Rings/Mount for Steiner Scope (5102)?

citoriguy

NES Member
Hi all - I recently picked up a BNIB Steiner T5Xi 1-5x24 for a killer price, and intend to put it on an AR-10/.308. 30mm tubes, but there are so many options that I’m stuck in “analysis paralysis.” This rifle won’t be used much, like all of my other rifles it seems, but I would like a quality rig for my quality scope.

Any thoughts? Geissele didn’t seem to have anything beyond the typical .223/5.56 rings. Steiner has a set (5961) - does anyone have experience with those? I don’t like that they’re separate pieces though.

Thanks in advance!

CG

Geissele is what you want. I shot a scoped carbine class this past weekend up at Ridgeline and my biggest take away is that I should not have been cheap and skipped the Larue mount and gone for the Big G.

Did you break your Larue mount? What would a geissele mount have done differently? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for buying quality but I didn't get the memo that Larue was not up to standards.

FWIW I have a Larue, and two aero precision, I like the weight savings they offer compared to most others.

Did you break your Larue mount? What would a geissele mount have done differently? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for buying quality but I didn't get the memo that Larue was not up to standards.

FWIW I have a Larue, and two aero precision, I like the weight savings they offer compared to most others.

There were 3 of us with LT104's on the line in the class, and 2 of us had the mounts walk during the class. Mine did it right after setting the scope in the rings and torquing to the spec. On my 5th 5 round grouping for zero the gun went from sub minute to like 7 moa. I had to strip the whole thing down and reassemble it on the line, the way the LT rings clam mount is whack, and their RMR ring mount is not very well thought out either. The only thing they really have going for them is the QD levers, but after this past weekend, I am all done with them and am replacing both of mine with Giessele mounts.

There were 3 of us with LT104's on the line in the class, and 2 of us had the mounts walk during the class. Mine did it right after setting the scope in the rings and torquing to the spec. On my 5th 5 round grouping for zero the gun went from sub minute to like 7 moa. I had to strip the whole thing down and reassemble it on the line, the way the LT rings clam mount is whack, and their RMR ring mount is not very well thought out either. The only thing they really have going for them is the QD levers, but after this past weekend, I am all done with them and am replacing both of mine with Giessele mounts.

Would blue Loctite have helped?

Geissele doesn’t seem to have anything in a .308 ring. Only 5.56/.223, unless I’m not reading the descriptions far enough.

We did loctite, albiet 30 minutes prior to shooting, but the dudes that were working with Giesseles didn't have the same problems.

Super Precision® - SR-25 / AR-10 Scope Mounts

On sale right now.

Yeah - I like those, but their AR-10 options are only available in 34mm and I need 30mm. Although, if the clamping force is what they claim the, to be, then any of their AR setups should work, right?

Ok i have to be that guy.
1. You waited until the day you counted on your platform to assemble your set up? i get it you probably did not have time , I generally wait to match day to zero my new loads!
any way the Larue 104 if solid. There vertical ring style is nothing new and its solid. Only the scope can walk on that set up.
Several things i learned over the years.
Rings and scope tubes must be clean of any dirt or oil.
The larue rings if not tightened correctly will come loose.

Once scope is set for eye relief and vertical alignment the lower ring mounts screws need to be evenly tightened to 30 inlb. Or thumb and index at the bend of the allen/torx wrench and snug. Then you tighten down the top screws.
Using a bit of rosin on the scope/ring mating surface will add to the hold.
i have the badger , larue and a burris AR mount. All are very good.
the good thing now is your larue can be sold to offset the purchase of the Gizzllleeyyy!

Ok i have to be that guy.
1. You waited until the day you counted on your platform to assemble your set up? i get it you probably did not have time , I generally wait to match day to zero my new loads!
any way the Larue 104 if solid. There vertical ring style is nothing new and its solid. Only the scope can walk on that set up.
Several things i learned over the years.
Rings and scope tubes must be clean of any dirt or oil.
The larue rings if not tightened correctly will come loose.

Once scope is set for eye relief and vertical alignment the lower ring mounts screws need to be evenly tightened to 30 inlb. Or thumb and index at the bend of the allen/torx wrench and snug. Then you tighten down the top screws.
Using a bit of rosin on the scope/ring mating surface will add to the hold.
i have the badger , larue and a burris AR mount. All are very good.
the good thing now is your larue can be sold to offset the purchase of the Gizzllleeyyy!

Be that guy all you want. The first part of the class was rifle set up and the instructor had most of us tear the rifle down prior to zero if it wasn't exactly right. I am capable of admitting I didn't know what I didn't know, I am also capable of admitting money spent on equipment may not have been money spent well, even if the internet thinks I am wrong. I have used the LT104 mounts for years, I think I bought my first one back in 2010, but that doesn't mean it is the best. Geissele came out with a better product, I should have listened to the advice of the people who know and went with it instead of the LT. Life moves on.

Be that guy all you want. The first part of the class was rifle set up and the instructor had most of us tear the rifle down prior to zero if it wasn't exactly right. I am capable of admitting I didn't know what I didn't know, I am also capable of admitting money spent on equipment may not have been money spent well, even if the internet thinks I am wrong. I have used the LT104 mounts for years, I think I bought my first one back in 2010, but that doesn't mean it is the best. Geissele came out with a better product, I should have listened to the advice of the people who know and went with it instead of the LT. Life moves on.
yup.....then what you did makes sense....so I will give you $25 for that shit 104:rolleyes:

I like how Geissele marks their caps- we should mark all our rings anyway.
The added lugs are good too.

I have leaned away from QD mounts for the most part and anything I have scoped these days will not benefit having QD mounts.

Last edited:
Well - Granite Ridge was having a Labor Day sale so I picked up a fixed rings mount with rings (no QD) for $54 and free shipping. For that price, I’m willing to take a chance. It’s actually going on an Aero Precision upper. If it turns out to be less than cooperative, I’ll look further into purchasing a Geissele.

Again, the odds are that it won’t be seeing a lot of use.

Well - Granite Ridge was having a Labor Day sale so I picked up a fixed rings mount with rings (no QD) for $54 and free shipping. For that price, I’m willing to take a chance. It’s actually going on an Aero Precision upper. If it turns out to be less than cooperative, I’ll look further into purchasing a Geissele.

Again, the odds are that it won’t be seeing a lot of use.
What mount? i assume Areo precision mount? With the same ring design as the larue? Wait no its different it only has 2 screws on the bottom and a hook together design ? Reminds me of the old school weaver mounts.

Take the money you saved on a deal with the scope and get something good. Those Stiener rings are crazy money and they are just rings.

So you pick up a $1000-1500 optic but a $54 mount will be better than larue....from larue to Guysleeee to $54 areo.
Fun stuff. Im just busting balls. We all do it to some extent.
i have ring/mount set ups that are more expensive than the scopes they hold....
I know you already ordered one but you can put that on a 22.

Another mount I forgot about
Mark 4 IMS 30mm | Leupold
For not a lot of $$ the vortex mounts are pretty solid.

Last edited:
What mount? i assume Areo precision mount? With the same ring design as the larue? Wait no its different it only has 2 screws on the bottom and a hook together design ? Reminds me of the old school weaver mounts.

So you pick up a $1000-1500 optic but a $54 mount will be better than larue....from larue to Guysleeee to $54 areo.

Have at it man, say what you want to say, I'm not a fgt.

It is the Aero Precision mount. Again, if it doesn’t work out, I’ll upgrade to a Geissele or the like. I’m going into this with blue Loctite in hand.

It is the Aero Precision mount. Again, if it doesn’t work out, I’ll upgrade to a Geissele or the like. I’m going into this with blue Loctite in hand.
Just be sure to clean all the oil and rust prohibitors from all the threads and scope body and inside the rings.
Loctite 222 works very good on small screws. You dont need much maybe 1/3 of the threads
If tour really want loctite to hold well use the primer especially with aluminum anodized or coated steel.

Inactive Metals Active Metals
(Primers Recommended)
Plated Parts Anodized Aluminum Titanium
Stainless Steel Galvanized Steel
Zinc
Pure Aluminum Cadmium Magnesium
Natural or Chemical Black Oxide
Magnetite Steel InconelTM
Silver
Gold

Last edited:

Take the money you saved on a deal with the scope and get something good. Those Stiener rings are crazy money and they are just rings.

i have ring/mount set ups that are more expensive than the scopes they hold....
I know you already ordered one but you can put that on a 22.

Another mount I forgot about
Mark 4 IMS 30mm | Leupold
For not a lot of $$ the vortex mounts are pretty solid.

That Leupold is really nice. And Vortex has some good ones too. I’ll be picking one of those up today and returning the AP.

Well - after reading reviews online, and more importantly, talking to a few buddies, I ended up purchasing the Warne 7817 Skyline. Looking forward to receiving that and putting that on my AR. I’ll update this with a fit report, and hopefully a range report too.

I also picked up a tube of Loctite 222, but may stick to the Blue, but that’s not set in stone yet.

Well - after reading reviews online, and more importantly, talking to a few buddies, I ended up purchasing the Warne 7817 Skyline. Looking forward to receiving that and putting that on my AR. I’ll update this with a fit report, and hopefully a range report too.

I also picked up a tube of Loctite 222, but may stick to the Blue, but that’s not set in stone yet.
Just be sure to clean off any and all oil , manufctures goo and rust preventive stuff from all threads and scope body and rings.
Also loctite does not always play well with anodized aluminum. It does not like to cure 100% with out iron present.
Hence their primer.

For the record I often get lazy when I cant find my loctite and use that paste liquid Teflon

That Leupold is really nice. And Vortex has some good ones too. I’ll be picking one of those up today and returning the AP.
i have the Mk4 and a Vortex - want to say its the "sport" model. The vortex for made in china is pretty good. I found mine on clearance on line few years ago.

Back
Top Bottom