• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rimfire-friendly - Vermont

Hi folks,

I am interested in learning to shoot in the time-honored way - rimfire .22 rifle. I think I'd do well and progress better if there are regular, structured opportunities to "play" with others.

Are there any clubs or organizations local to the Burlington VT area that have friendly rimfire events? Also willing to drive a bit (Say, 45 minutes)

Mostly, interested in "O" class NRA smallbore or smallbore silhouette. Or (drool) NSSF rimfire competitions, but I understand those are rare. I might consider Olympic-style position shooting too if that's the only thing available.

Last edited:
Burlington is moonbat capital of VT, they tried to get guns off the city property once. There are bazillion colleges though, may be some would have a program.

I think that your best bet is to find local friends who are into shooting. Another thing is to take appleseed class and get some fundamentals down. There is a lot that you can do to practice alone without instructor present, but good instruction is tough to find and necessary.

There is at least one gun shop near Burlington, may be South Burlington. Talk to the shop owner, network. He may know more about the local scene and may have better leads.

also, if you want to get started into the sport, you don't need to get an Anshutz right off the bat. Back in Soviet Union, we did a lot of practice with pneumatic guns. They are not expensive, you can literally shoot at home, room or basemenet. You want to make sure that they are constant charge (single pump) and a decent barrel. Daisy had one pistol with Walther barrels, wicked accurate. There is also the Chinese SKS trainer, pellet gun, very accurate, you can easily pick up matchsticks with irons.

A lot of fundamentals come with discipline and practice and time.

One thing about instruction, it would help you a great deal to get you started practicing good habits of holds and stands. Posture is very critical and you want someone experienced correct you and get you going. This has nothing to do with tacticool, hip, homo-Rambo shooting crap that come up with new trends.

There are many books on marksmanship instruction, but they are all in Russian.

Last edited:
Thanks!

I actually like living in Burlington for a lot of reasons, but access to shooting sports isn't one of them ;)

I like the appleseed idea... . will check out the schedule. . . do they still run them in Jericho?

Not at all interested in tacticool anything. I aspire to own something like a CZ 455 (bolt-action .22)

Back
Top Bottom