I thought about this also--but I believe the reasoning against it is you cannot carry that way and draw without muzzle-sweeping yourself pretty good.

Small of the back carry is a good way to find yourself in a wheelchair. Slip on the stairs, fall on your piece and screw up a vertebrae, and you're all set.

Wild Bill Hickok - THR
ACP230 September 6, 2003, 09:41 AM

The draw Hickock used is discussed as the "Cavalry Draw" in Chic Gaylord's book, Handgunner's Guide.

"The cavalry draw as used by John Wesley Hardin, Wild Bill Hickok and Doc Holliday, is the fastest known method of drawing and firing a single- action. It is the rarest of draws today because so few will take the time to master it. It takes longer to show results than with the more conventional tied-down holster draw. This draw requires a scabbard held high with an extreme forward tilt. The revolver is held with the bttt reversed and is wrn just behind the right hip. The draw is begun by raising the elbow almost ot shoulder heightm then slammiing the hand back onto the reversed gun butt with the thumb across the hammer. The gun is then thrown forward out of the holster as the elbow is snapped down to the side. This whips the gun around into the firing position. The weight of the gun against the thumb cocks the gun with no conscious effort on the shooter's part. All that is left for you to do is fire. The gun should be fired the instant it is on target."

I tried this years ago, with an unloaded gun, and it does work. I stopped fooling with it, however, because I almost always pointed the gun at some part of myself as it came out of the holster. A word to the wise should be sufficient, eh?

Hangunner's Guide was reissued a while ago. It may still be available from Paladin Press.

Wild Bill Hickok - THR

So you will have to reach between the gun and your flesh to get a good grip.

Not something that interests me. YMMV

-Stalking via S3.-

Do any of you righties ever carry in a lefty holsters? In my experimenting at home trying to find a more concealable way to carry, I've been carrying an unloaded semi mexican near the small of my back at about 5 o'clock, and I've found that it disappears really well and is an easier draw with the grip facing the right than the left. I've been considering getting a lefty IWB holster and wearing it there.

Does anybody else carry like this?

I carry a pps like this with the iwb holster canted to the right. Its very comfortable for me and I find it easily if needed. Everyone has different feelings on it so go with what's comfortable for you. Unfortnately holsters can get expensive

Back
Top Bottom