• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Riflescopes can you get good glass for sub $800?

Don't get all hung up on the mil-dot reticle, it's just my opinion but unless you are actully going to learn how to use it your limiting your choices. The Leupold Mk2 I mentioned has a duplex reticle and it's the scope I like the most, you just have to learn how to holdover.
It is something I'd like to learn, and learn to be good with, which is why I am looking for it. However, I'm open to anything that will help with rangefinding and accuracy at unknown ranges, so anything that is graduated on the reticle.

I think I'm going to look at the M308 from Nikon once more, and that Millet. The Millet looks very interesting.

For mounts, is there anything I need to keep in mind for a scope I'm going to use for shooting out to 600 at the range? Do you need taller rings or anything?

For mounts, is there anything I need to keep in mind for a scope I'm going to use for shooting out to 600 at the range? Do you need taller rings or anything?

Probably not absolutely necessarily, but a 20MOA+ mount is nice, because it keeps you from going to the end of the elevation range which gives you greater windage adjustment which you may need for zeroing at 600 yards. Also the Nikon scope only has 40 MOA of total adjustment. Not a lot of adjustment. I would say it's a must with that scope.

If you are going to use this for F-Class, 16X is not really enough magnification to be competitive. I would say 20X is the absolute minimum you would want and if you get serious, you will probably be looking to get a different scope by the end of the year. A lot of the guys are running Nightforce scopes at 42X.

B
800px-Reticles_vector_elevation.png

Just throwing this out there in case there may be interest. I bought an ATN 3-9*55, 223 BDC. But it is just too massive for my gun, awesome lass, tons of light, just too big for me..

If anybody has a good scope, I'd love to trade it for something I'd use. Standard/ reflex etc.. Open to options.

The Bushnell Elites are hard to beat under $600-700. They're tough and rugged. I have two, one on an AR and one on a 50 BMG - both have served me very well.

Hard to beat a Sightron for the money. Weaver T series is pretty nicevfor short money.

B

+1 on sightron
I have A SIII 3.5-10x44 on my rem 700 it never loses zero and the adjustments are spot on. I prefer it over my Mark 4 LR/T 4.5-14x40 which i transplated onto my sons AR after using the sightron

Last edited:
I'm not really, I wouldn't mind if I went to the mailbox and had a Swarovski waiting for me.

The more economical glass folks are talking about here, especially in the $350-$500 range is awesome.

Well in that case I have a Leupold VX-R 3-9x 40mm set up on my benchrest AR. It was $460 IIRC. I'm no scope expert, but I've had a lot of older guys at the range with years of hunting experience try it out and they've always said the glass was great quality. Maybe they were just being nice [laugh]

20120113161014678.jpg

^Taken with a cellphone when it was almost below zero temperature that morning^

Scartch highpower off the list of uses. Scopes are not allowed in NRA Highpower or CMP rifle matches.

As for inexpensive but not cheap glass, look at Weaver Tacticals.

Scartch highpower off the list of uses. Scopes are not allowed in NRA Highpower or CMP rifle matches.

As for inexpensive but not cheap glass, look at Weaver Tacticals.

Thought F-class was under the highpower umbrella. Mistake on my part. I'm going to be shooting F Class until I build my AR.

I have Vortex PST 5-15x44 on my AR10. 30mm tube w/ exposed turrets around the $500 mark. I like it. Standard Milldot and doesn't seem cluttered like on a BDC reticle.

Back
Top Bottom