• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Riflescopes can you get good glass for sub $800?

So I was looking at riflescopes today for my .308. Saw some nice ones, and almost took this one home for $1250.
http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shoo...t-riflescopes/mark-4-lrt-8-5-25x50mm-30mm-m1/

I don't have any business spending that on a scope until I'm a better shooter. What can be had for sub $800, or around the $500 range that will give a nice bright image, little to no shadow, adjustable out to give good magnification at 600 yards, and maybe even has mildot.

I'm not looking for anything illuminated either, this will be on a hunting rifle, which is also why I don't want to pay a safe queen price.

Thoughts?

Future uses:
Hunting
Highpower matches in the spring

First, I LOVE Leupold scopes. They're really top notch, but you get what you pay for.

I'm also a big fan of Vortex where you get a good bang for your buck.

I'm using this scope right now:

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/product_p/v-vpr-m-05md.htm

It's a very, very good scope for the money. Oh... and here's a 10% off coupon on Vortex Scopes from Joe Bob Outfitters:

"Use coupon code "VORTEX10" to receive discount!

We will also retroactively honor this discount on ALL Vortex Optics orders placed from Nov 1-Nov 11th 2012.
If you wish to redeem, please respond to this email with your order # and request the 10% discount.
We will issue store credit for up to 10% off the Vortex Optics ordered within this time period.
If a previous coupon code was used, we will credit the difference."

I've bought a lot of stuff from them and always received great service.

Best,

Rich

Trijicon TR-20. In your price range. I love trij. Illuminated too, no batteries, super sharp lens.

Nfdbrian - that Nikon M308 is awesome, it's a regular crosshairs reticle though, and I would like to find something with graduations, be it mil dot, or another esoteric system that would allow for effective fire outside of known distances.

It was a very bright scope.

Rich- They had the Vortex there but I didn't look at them.

Does tube width translate to image brightness? I liked the 30mm scopes I was looking at, but all pricey.

I have used some terrible "house brand" scopes that are useless. I think you have to spend at least $150 for something halfway decent. Right now I have a Mueller APT on my Ruger 10/22 which is clear at maximum magnification and only 50' away for precision bench-rest shooting. It seems to hold zero just fine. I also recently bought a Millett LRS-1 for my Remington 700 .308. It is massive and heavy, but also seems to hold a good zero. It is clear throughout the magnification range although eye relief gets dicey at maximum magnification.

For your use, I would consider looking at the Millett LRS-1.

Chris

Dave, is this rifle new? or this is your previous rifle. I have shoot your 308 previously and I think the scope is good. Unless, you want the BDC or customized dial (leupold) for your rifle ammo, your scope on the previous rifle should be good. I would invest on a set of good rings and scope bases.

I got Nikon M223 and thinking to add M308 soon. I also use have a Millett LRS scope on my 308, which is work well for me. For Nikon, you can get the SpotON app. It has most factory ammo load info. Just plug in your info and it will calculate the bullet trajectory.

i have a millett TRS-1 on my LTR. works great, illuminated reticle, 1-24x if i remember correctly. only ever shot at 200 yards but it makes it easy to do that. i can imagine in the hands of someone who can shoot much better than me that greater distances would be pretty easy. scope fits the bill at right around $300, too.

Dave, is this rifle new? or this is your previous rifle. I have shoot your 308 previously and I think the scope is good. Unless, you want the BDC or customized dial (leupold) for your rifle ammo, your scope on the previous rifle should be good. I would invest on a set of good rings and scope bases.

I got Nikon M223 and thinking to add M308 soon. I also use have a Millett LRS scope on my 308, which is work well for me. For Nikon, you can get the SpotON app. It has most factory ammo load info. Just plug in your info and it will calculate the bullet trajectory.

Yeah, it's the scope you've used. I think it's a fine scope, just lot of shadow in the image, and it's dim at high magnification, and a bit of distortion that I don't like. All that said, with the crosshair reticle, it's really fine for what I need right now, I think I'd like to change over to something like mildot, so I can learn that system for shooting and range estimation.

Do those SpotOn apps working with reloads? If I don't spend a ridiculous sum on a new scope, I'll be getting a reloading setup.

- - - Updated - - -

Looking at the millets right now.

$4, if they hold liquid, sounds like something for my george dickel.

I was curious about Redfield, made in Beaverton, just bought by Leupold.

I could just drive down there and see what's up, I've been wanting to get to Portland.

i have a millett TRS-1 on my LTR. works great, illuminated reticle, 1-24x if i remember correctly. only ever shot at 200 yards but it makes it easy to do that. i can imagine in the hands of someone who can shoot much better than me that greater distances would be pretty easy. scope fits the bill at right around $300, too.

TRS-1 is 4-16 w/ 50mm objective and the LRS-1 is 6-26 w/ 56mm objective.

Looking at the millets right now.

I have an LRS-1 on my 700 and it works well. The problem with Millett is they are hit or miss in quality. It seems 1 out of every 3 people that buy one need to have it returned shortly after. By chance mine works fine.

TRS-1 is 4-16 w/ 50mm objective and the LRS-1 is 6-26 w/ 56mm objective.

I have an LRS-1 on my 700 and it works well. The problem with Millett is they are hit or miss in quality. It seems 1 out of every 3 people that buy one need to have it returned shortly after. By chance mine works fine.

word, looks like alfred and i got our Ls and Ts crossed.

It was a very bright scope.

Rich- They had the Vortex there but I didn't look at them.

Does tube width translate to image brightness? I liked the 30mm scopes I was looking at, but all pricey.

Objective lens is what gathers the light, tube size is more about how much elevation/windage adjustment you have.

$4, if they hold liquid, sounds like something for my george dickel.

I was curious about Redfield, made in Beaverton, just bought by Leupold.

I could just drive down there and see what's up, I've been wanting to get to Portland.

Redfield is an old name in American optics, particularly riflescopes... I think they did most of the Vietnam-era military era scopes with a traditional 3-9x design and go even farther back.

Kind of went bust in the 80s-90s (I think), and weren't much more than a name trading hands. Good to see Leupold doing something with them.

I have used some terrible "house brand" scopes that are useless. I think you have to spend at least $150 for something halfway decent. Right now I have a Mueller APT on my Ruger 10/22 which is clear at maximum magnification and only 50' away for precision bench-rest shooting. It seems to hold zero just fine. I also recently bought a Millett LRS-1 for my Remington 700 .308. It is massive and heavy, but also seems to hold a good zero. It is clear throughout the magnification range although eye relief gets dicey at maximum magnification.

For your use, I would consider looking at the Millett LRS-1.

Chris

I have the Mueller APT on a CZ 455 and it is a great scope for the money. It has a very reasonable price for a solid piece of glass for .22 rimfire.

I have a higher magnification Mueller that was at one time on a .308. Truth is eye position was very touchy. The "eyebox" on that scope was quite small.

On the other end some Leupold scopes I have have a very generous eyebox with some wiggle room in there. Getting rid of the "shadows" on the higher powered, yet lower priced Mueller was really tough.

Best,

Rich

I may get a lot of crap, but I am a really big fan of bushnel, depending on their line. I bought a few of their "banner" series when I was working at KTP, and they were fantastic for short money. I checked a few out in the warehouse, and even in the dim warehouse they were super clear. My dad has one on his 25-06 and I have one on a 10/22 I have.

My other favorite is Simmons, I have one on a heavy barreled savage that I like a lot. It is clear, has an adjustable objective and is very bright. These purchases are coming up on 10 years now, so it is possible that they have gone to shit since then, but I hope not.

I love my M223 Nikon. It's a 3-12x42 w/ BDC600 reticle. The M308 looks awesome.

The Spot-On software sure seems to work with all the various .223 ammo I've run through it. I'm sure the application will work with your reloads, assuming you have accurate data to enter (bullet weight & coefficient of drag, velocity, etc.).

Last edited:
The Super Sniper scopes from SWFA are a good deal, I have a couple of them. Sightron is another good one I have an SIII fixed 10 power and it was under $800 when I bought it a few years ago. I have a Leupold Mk2 on another rifle which is a good scope as well. Don't get all hung up on the mil-dot reticle, it's just my opinion but unless you are actully going to learn how to use it your limiting your choices. The Leupold Mk2 I mentioned has a duplex reticle and it's the scope I like the most, you just have to learn how to holdover.

Yes good glass can be had for less than $1,000.
I found my Kahles 3-9x42 for $650 and it has an MSRP of $1050.
It has Austrian made glass from the oldest scope maker in the world and is thought by many to be one of the best one inch rifle scopes ever made.

Added a set of Leupold MK 4 two piece bases and a used set of aluminum MK 4 rings.
So $650 + $80 + $75 = $805 for a world class set up.

smitty

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom