Rifles Rifles Rifles

Looking to get a rifle for target and home defense. I have done a decent amount of research but just getting really confused on what I want and whats the best bang for my buck. Something thats ideal for both those applications and under or around 1000.

Any brands, models, ANYTHING would be much appreciated.

Thanks

You can get a very good AR carbine for about $1000. Spikes and Bravo Company Mfg will both have offerings in that price range. A 16" bbl w/ midlength gas system will serve you well for 'social' engagements, and should be accurate enough for entry-level target shooting (although probably not serious competition).

Then, when you have the money, buy another upper for your rifle for target competition. White Oak Armory makes very good Service Rifle uppers. Alternatively, depending on what kind of target shooting you're doing, other companies offer some very good options.

1) Rifles are a poor choice for home defense. Rifles are build for long range and high penetration. In home defense, the longest range is generally 40', with most engagements under 20'. Rifles will shoot though many walls and often exit a house.

That said, if you can only get one gun and you want a fun target weapon that you can also use for home defense an AR Carbine is a very good choice.
Another alternative would be a lever action carbine in a pistol caliber - such as a .357 levergun.

A better solution would be an AR-15 (or AR-10) or bolt-action target rifle and a pump-action shotgun (as suggested above) The prior makes a better target get and is fun to shoot while the latter makes a better home defense gun when loaded with #4, #1 or 00 Buckshot with more energy and less penetration.

1) Rifles are a poor choice for home defense. Rifles are build for long range and high penetration. In home defense, the longest range is generally 40', with most engagements under 20'. Rifles will shoot though many walls and often exit a house.

That said, if you can only get one gun and you want a fun target weapon that you can also use for home defense an AR Carbine is a very good choice.
Another alternative would be a lever action carbine in a pistol caliber - such as a .357 levergun.

A better solution would be an AR-15 (or AR-10) or bolt-action target rifle and a pump-action shotgun (as suggested above) The prior makes a better target get and is fun to shoot while the latter makes a better home defense gun when loaded with #4, #1 or 00 Buckshot with more energy and less penetration.

This came up a week or two ago, and .223 tends to penetrate walls less than most pistol calibers. Big and slow penetrates wallboard. Light and fast does not.

ETA: And, from my own re-reading of the Box O Truth, it seems that it doesn't matter what they shoot at wallboard, EVERYTHING always goes through all of it.

Last edited:

I am so confused at your post because you contradicted yourself so badly.

You make a HUGE FALSE statement regarding rifles used for home defense, then go on to support rifles for home defense.

Not+Sure+if+serious.jpg

[thinking]

You do know that an "AR Carbine" is a rifle right? Shooting "rifle" ammuntion over 3000fps...? And.. T
Fact: Those rounds DON'T over penetrate (as much) compared to handgun rounds and shotgun slugs/buckshot...
(like "Atmay" pointed out)

Last edited:
This came up a week or two ago, and .223 tends to penetrate walls less than most pistol calibers. Big and slow penetrates wallboard. Light and fast does not.

ETA: And, from my own re-reading of the Box O Truth, it seems that it doesn't matter what they shoot at wallboard, EVERYTHING always goes through all of it.

Hense the shotgun favoring the smaller pellets - Police carried #4 buckshot for years because it offered less over penetration and risk to bystanders.

Hense the shotgun favoring the smaller pellets - Police carried #4 buckshot for years because it offered less over penetration and risk to bystanders.

Even #4 went through enough wallboard to through-and-through an elementary school.

I would pick quality defensive ammunition that runs reliably in the firearm of your choice, and do everything you can to not miss, rather than basing your ammunition choice on something that doesn't really matter.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Could anyone direct me to some websites or stores where I maybe able to buy one of these rifles you speak of or a place to buy the equipment to build one. My idea isnt a rifle for a home intruder indoors. More my own personal choice and reasons for having it as a home defense weapon in other areas. I just want a great rifle thats super accurate, not too hard to take apart, and possible upgrade options, but even if its just a simple bolt action, fine as well.

This is what I was looking for! Thanks! I think I might shoot them an email seeing what AR I could get thats legal.

With Spike's, if you look at the order pages, there's options to make things compliant. It's $105 total for Spikes to bring one of their AR's into compliance. $85 to pin/weld their brake, $10 to pin the stock, and $10 to chop the bayonet lug.

I think Bravo Co might require a call/email for that stuff.

Better yet for around $1000, get a Rem 870 pump for HD, a Ruger 10-22 for target fun, and a decent 380 or 9mm pistol for concealed carry. Covers all the bases with gear better suited for each task. Plus more fun and more experience to gain having three different set-ups.

From the Box of Truth:

Lessons learned:
1. Sheetrock (drywall) doesn't slow any round down much. If you shoot in the house, walls will not stop any serious round.

2. Twelve pine boards will not stop a .223 round.

3. Shooting stuff is fun.
http://theboxotruth.com/docs/bot1.htm

So since there is verifiable proof that pretty much ANY round suitable for SD will penetrate 6 interior walls I will keep my AR-15 w/ Eotech and it's 30 round magazine as my HD weapon.

If 30 rounds of hot M855 do not bring the BG down, I have bigger problems.

Remsport is in Ludlow, MA, not far from the Pike. John builds good ARs with his own parts or others, depending on your wants and your budget. He knows his stuff, and if you tell him MA compliant, you can be sure it will be.

Mutually exclusive requirements

Maybe for the kind of target shooting you do, but a M4 profile AR with a good barrel can be a fine gun for the kind of target shooting this guy probably is going to end up doing, and by no means would be a bad starter rifle for getting into one of various disciplines. The best for the price, no, but AR's are far from inaccurate.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom