• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rifles for Feral Hog

Ask your friends what they use.
Horrible vision, but an amazing sense of smell and hearing.
These things grow up fighting, so the chest/ breast plate. head area is thick.
Considering these things fight back and are capable of goring your guts out, any large caliber hollow point in a semi auto should do the trick.

Anything in .40 cal would most likely cut it in half or vaporize it. 1 shot would probably down like 4 of these things.

View: https://youtu.be/WKfTzfbWJUE

They are mean from birth

View: https://youtu.be/FjfmxJT-vbw

Personally, I’d bring my SCAR with a 1-8x optic, because that’s what I have. I think the .308 is an acceptable cartridge, but I doubt the SCAR is the best gun for the game. But, then again, I don’t shoot anything that bleeds so I’m the last person you should take hunting advice from…

OP : If you were invited by people that hunt hogs regularly, they're the ones to ask.

A friend of my dad's was in Germany, post WWII. He and some others were invited on a boar hunt. Most of the people picked rifled, most likely 8x57. When they were done, he asked the game keeper what to use - Guy gave him a 16ga x 8mm Drilling. No scopes, just two 1oz slugs, and a rifle cartridge.

Ask the locals.
Ask your friends what they use.
Horrible vision, but an amazing sense of smell and hearing.
These things grow up fighting, so the chest/ breast plate. head area is thick.
Considering these things fight back and are capable of goring your guts out, any large caliber hollow point in a semi auto should do the trick.

Anything in .40 cal would most likely cut it in half or vaporize it. 1 shot would probably down like 4 of these things.

I hope to get more information on that front. I don't know anyone else involved aside from my friend who extended the invite . Fairly certain he hasn't hunted before either.

Anything you would hunt deer with really. If you gonna head shoot, I'd say a .223 or .243 is good, otherwise leave the small calibers at home.

Body shots I'd use a .30 cal or bigger for bigger holes, as fat will plug it up, pigs are tough.

Personally, I like the idea of a lever gun in like 35 rem, 44mag, or 45-70.

I've seen vids of people using 300 blackout to drop hogs like mad. Get a 9-16" barrel and you're good. If you're going to suppress it, get a 10" barrel and don't worry. IIRC, there's 110gr rounds out there that will drop them like a rock. Go subsonic with 220gr and they'll drop fast at closer ranges. Slap a LVPO on top, or dot with magnifier and you have range options and still be precise in shot placement.

I'm working on a 6.5 Grendel build myself. 18" barrel. Just need to select an optic for it before taking going to the range with it. Might slap one of my dots on it for function testing and see how the recoil is. I'm looking to use the upper for more long range shooting. No plan to hunt, at this point, but I like the round characteristics. I might use it to hunt in the future, since I'll have plenty of options. I also have an AR10 (308 Win) with an 18" barrel. Wouldn't want to lug that around all day. If you're going to be in a stand or maybe driven around, it would be OK. But 308 might be overkill unless you're going after hogzilla.

I have never shot a hog with one but my choice would be 300 blackout in an AR platform for hogs. Avoid subsonic bullets and a suppressor unless you have some reason to go that route. Sure it’s cool, but a 16” barrel and a good bullet like a 110-120 Barnes tac-tx are going to give you more power, range, and shoot flatter.

Where is the hunt going to be? A 308 is great if you’re going out west and taking shots beyond 200 yards or so. But it’s heavy and a bit beyond what you’re going to need for closer shots.

Here is a good article comparing the .458 SOCOM to the 45-70. One conclusion is that, since it's a semi-auto platform, the .458 SOCOM is better for hog hunting where you might need to make multiple rapid followup shots. If you already have an AR 15 type, getting a .458 upper will be much less expensive than getting a 45-70 lever action. Plus, to get 8 round capacity in a 45-70 lever you need to go with a 24 inch barrel. The SOCOM has ten round mags as standard.

I have never shot a hog with one but my choice would be 300 blackout in an AR platform for hogs. Avoid subsonic bullets and a suppressor unless you have some reason to go that route. Sure it’s cool, but a 16” barrel and a good bullet like a 110-120 Barnes tac-tx are going to give you more power, range, and shoot flatter.

Where is the hunt going to be? A 308 is great if you’re going out west and taking shots beyond 200 yards or so. But it’s heavy and a bit beyond what you’re going to need for closer shots.

Somewhere in Southern GA.

Here is a good article comparing the .458 SOCOM to the 45-70. One conclusion is that, since it's a semi-auto platform, the .458 SOCOM is better for hog hunting where you might need to make multiple rapid followup shots. If you already have an AR 15 type, getting a .458 upper will be much less expensive than getting a 45-70 lever action. Plus, to get 8 round capacity in a 45-70 lever you need to go with a 24 inch barrel. The SOCOM has ten round mags as standard.

Last I looked into these guys offered a full rifle for about $4500 or an upper only for about $2300 if you have a DPMS pattern lower. Doesn’t help with the weight over .308ar but it’s a good reason to justify another rifle in my opinion and would allow rapid follow up shots if needed.

Attachments

• 8EDDEB49-D7BD-42BB-9E7C-BF0AF1FD504F.png
    8EDDEB49-D7BD-42BB-9E7C-BF0AF1FD504F.png
    369 KB · Views: 2
I'm going next spring and using a 350 Legend in AR Platform. My 45/70 lever gun will probably come along too. And I might carry my Super Blackhawk or a 10mm Sig P220 too. Too much?

Now that we have crossed into the silliness threshold.

I hog hunt with these. Always go full retard.
Wear a kilt and practice your death scream. Let those hogs know whos boss.
Show no fear. Kill the leader and the rest will bow to you. Eat its heart and smear its blood on your face.
You can then ride them into battle, like Abraham Lincoln did astride a Triceratops at the battle of the Alamo.

1665439541214.png
1665439296487.png
1665439330503.png

For the 2 legged hogs, this bags em every time

1665439487426.png

Checkout yawt yawt on YouTube. He traps them and plugs them with 22mag up close. He uses a .270 when shooting at a distance not in a trap.

is this going to be one of those hunts where you shoot a bunch of hogs or one where you shoot one or two. the 6.5grendel is a popular cartridge for pest hog control, as for not having anything that fits the bill a hog doesn't need to be shot with anything fancy a 12ga semi auto or pump with slugs will drop a hog and I hope everyone on here has at least one shotgun
6.5 Grendel is pretty magical on the angry bacon. It's a pretty slick caliber to shoot, bucks wind really well. I don't have one any longer, as other things fill that niche pretty solidly. .300 Blackout with a Hornady 125 grain SST pushed by 17.5 grains of H110 is my go to for a lot of things these days. Behaves like a light 30-30 inside of 200 yards.

Edit...
The 110 grain Barnes Tac-TX are really good, if you can find them. But the expense is a little much. Not as wild as loading Lehigh projo's, but closing in on that. I did try out the Nosler 110 grain Varmeggeddon pills. And they are pretty fast out of an 8" barrel, but mostly only good for breaking apart jackrabbits. For the deer sized things here, 125 grain pills seem to be the sweet spot.
For blackout magazines, I just use standard 20 round AR mags. So visually I won't put it in a 5.56 upper, and .300 blackout specific mags are a marketing scam.

Last edited:
Last I looked into these guys offered a full rifle for about $4500 or an upper only for about $2300 if you have a DPMS pattern lower. Doesn’t help with the weight over .308ar but it’s a good reason to justify another rifle in my opinion and would allow rapid follow up shots if needed.

While a 45/70 AR is very cool, I dont think it is $2300 or $4500 cool. For a lot less the OP can buy a 458 + a 45/70 lever action and still have enough money left for the flight, hunt and beers.

I don't own a 458, but I own plenty of 45/70 guns. 45/70 ammo gets heavy. Just 40 rounds contain 2.5lbs of lead if using the common weight of 405gr (does not include weight of brass and powder). When walking, every pound adds up. With a lever action that would be OK as the rifles are fairly light. But with a heavy AR, f*ck that.

While a 45/70 AR is very cool, I dont think it is $2300 or $4500 cool. For a lot less the OP can buy a 458 + a 45/70 lever action and still have enough money left for the flight, hunt and beers.

I don't own a 458, but I own plenty of 45/70 guns. 45/70 ammo gets heavy. Just 40 rounds contain 2.5lbs of lead if using the common weight of 405gr (does not include weight of brass and powder). When walking, every pound adds up. With a lever action that would be OK as the rifles are fairly light. But with a heavy AR, f*ck that.

Oh there are better options for sure in the AR platform and if I was going 45-70 I’d go lever gun but it’s still cool haha, if it was 1/2 that price I’d probably scoop one up.

Oh there are better options for sure in the AR platform and if I was going 45-70 I’d go lever gun but it’s still cool haha, if it was 1/2 that price I’d probably scoop one up.
I would get a Winchester in 45/90 ... or as @Michael J. Spangler pointed out to me today, Winchester also made one in 50-110 ... which looks like is more powerful than a 458 Win Mag. I guess that is good when you want the round to cut the pig for you.

I was invited to a feral hog hunt/shoot next spring. Don’t have anything right now that would fit the bill. Thinking maybe an AR in .308 with some sort of optic.

Don’t plan to hunt frequently, so I’d like to avoid bolt-actions. Any suggestions?
Ar15, night vision , side-by-side to drive,
Put corn in a 5 gallon bucket sealed let it sit in the sun to sour and sprout for three days.

Dump it in the trail maybe two hours before dusk. And then just slaughter them.

Or set up some fence in the kidney shaped with a one-way door and then just shoot them while they’re in the trap depending on where you live.

Not that I know what I’m talking about, 🤣

Back
Top Bottom