• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rifleman with an M&P 15?

dcmdon

NES Member
So here's my problem.

I signed up for my second appleseed this past spring. I only missed by 10 points the first time. I had been practicing my positions in front of the TV at night so I was confident I'd make it on my second try.

Then a good/bad thing happened. I talked my wife into going. I REALLY wanted her to have a good time. It was more important to me than even shooting well myself.

So I gave her my Ruger 10/22 with a custom laminate stock, Tech Sights, Volqhartsen trigger pack and shillen barrel. I've putzed with this gun for a couple of years and it is dead reliable and frighteningly accurate.

So now I needed a gun. I borrowed a friends M&P15/22 but into about the 3rd string of fire the bolt came all apart. A well known problem.

So I went to my backup gun, an AR15 with a 10.5" LMT upper and a Spikes 22 conversion bolt. The gun performed reliably but could just not group like I had with the Ruger.

So we've got the M&P15/22 back from S&W for me to try again. Assuming it stays together (fingers crossed), what do you all know about its accuracy?

Can I make rifleman with it?

The trigger is TERRIBLE. Can I drop in a RRA 2 stage trigger kit?

I normally believe very strongly that people put too much emphasis on equipment and not enough on skills. However, if you saw the difference in my groups with the Ruger vs my AR with the .22 kit you would be astonished. I'm hoping that the M&P 15/22 is more like the ruger. I didn't really have the chance to settle in last time before the bolt let loose with all its pins and springs and such.

One other choice is to shoot it with my DCM Bushmaster. But I'd end up spending $300 on ammo that day. (this is not the kind of event you shoot with Wolf) I'm liking that idea less and less as I type this.

Don

Last edited:
So what you're saying is you don't shoot a gun you're not familiar with as well as one you custom built and practiced with for hours upon hours?
That seems normal to me.

The 15/22 is a fine rifle to run at an Appleseed, and while the trigger may not be tops, I certainly wouldn't drop a $300 trigger in a $400 gun... seems like a really long way to go for a $5 patch.

FWIW, I've only been to 1 Appleseed. Improved my shooting, learned a lot, and that's what I was there for.

Show up and run whatever - you're either gonna make it or not - it's not an equipment race, it's a skills game - you either have the skills or not. Based on your past score and practice since then I'm betting you have a better than average chance at making the score.

The trigger is TERRIBLE. Can I drop in a RRA 2 stage trigger kit?

Really? Mines a pretty much standard mil-spec trigger, a couple millimeters of pre-travel, then glass rod at 4-5 pounds and very solid reset. Is this regarded as a bad trigger in the rifle world?

I'd at least think it's good enough to make Applesauce, no? Maybe try a DIY trigger job?

I certainly wouldn't drop a $300 trigger in a $400 gun...

The Rock River is only about $120 bucks actually. It's a really good value for the money, and you could always swap it into a real AR when you're ready to move up.

Really? Mines a pretty much standard mil-spec trigger, a couple millimeters of pre-travel, then glass rod at 4-5 pounds and very solid reset. Is this regarded as a bad trigger in the rifle world?

You must have gotten lucky. I dry fired one and couldn't put it down fast enough: probably had close to a 10 lb trigger, was gritty, and it had a crappy break. (Actually that is a pretty standard mil style trigger I guess. [wink])

I would be surprised if my trigger was over 4 lbs on my MP15-22, with very little trigger slack as TheRoland stated. Do they sell MA versions with 10lb triggers?? That would really suck.

Sprocket's right: you can make rifleman with any rifle, as long as that rifle works. People have done it with Mosin Nagants, making their sight adjustments with a hammer. It'll be easier with a rifle you're familiar/comfortable with, and having the rifle fall to pieces in the middle makes it harder, but I have yet to see a shooter on the line with a rifle that couldn't do 4MOA.

If your next AS is in MA, give me a pm and I'll make sure I have a loaner 10/22 in case your M&P15/22 barfs again.

Lupis,
Thanks for the words of wisdom. I think I'll be good with the M&P 15-22. The appleseed is in CT. I've actually been toying with building another 10-22 but can't justify it at this point. I got lucky on the last one as far as finding used parts. I'm only into if for about $400.

it sounds like the M&P 15-22 is a crap shoot as far as withehter you get a good trigger or not. Like others have said, I'm just going to shooti it with what it has. 4 moa is easily within the gun mechanical accuracy potential. The rest is up to me.

Well, my wife and I shot today. I made Rifleman on my second run through the AQT. I did a 226 with 2 shots missing because of a failure to feed. It was the end of the day and I could feel the chamber getting a little snug. I should have stuck a chamber brush in and given it a quick swab, but didn't.

The M&P15 did fine. I did swap out the trigger/sear/hammer with otherwise stock parts that I had previously stoned and polished. I put them in with a set of JP reduced power springs I also had lying around. Before anyone pigpiles on me me for geting too much into the equipment, the whole operation took me about 3 minutes and much improved the trigger. I think that a gun with a decent trigger greatly improves the fun.

My wife got so so so close with 205 out of a required 210. I felt bad for her that she didn't make rifleman. I know she would have made it if we didn't have to go home at 4:00 to meet our babysitter. The group was gong to spend the next two hours doing AQTs. If we could just stay for another couple of strings. Oh well. This just gives us an excuse to go to the Appleseed in October.

It was great great fun. If you haven't done one, you should go. Our entire day cost about $100 including ammo. Where else can you have a fun, satisfying day that leaves you with hours and hours of good stuff to talk about with your wife for $100.

Thanks FRED. Or whatever your real name is.

Don

Well, my wife and I shot today. I made Rifleman on my second run through the AQT. I did a 226 with 2 shots missing because of a failure to feed. It was the end of the day and I could feel the chamber getting a little snug. I should have stuck a chamber brush in and given it a quick swab, but didn't.

The M&P15 did fine. I did swap out the trigger/sear/hammer with otherwise stock parts that I had previously stoned and polished. I put them in with a set of JP reduced power springs I also had lying around. Before anyone pigpiles on me me for geting too much into the equipment, the whole operation took me about 3 minutes and much improved the trigger. I think that a gun with a decent trigger greatly improves the fun.

My wife got so so so close with 205 out of a required 210. I felt bad for her that she didn't make rifleman. I know she would have made it if we didn't have to go home at 4:00 to meet our babysitter. The group was gong to spend the next two hours doing AQTs. If we could just stay for another couple of strings. Oh well. This just gives us an excuse to go to the Appleseed in October.

It was great great fun. If you haven't done one, you should go. Our entire day cost about $100 including ammo. Where else can you have a fun, satisfying day that leaves you with hours and hours of good stuff to talk about with your wife for $100.

Thanks FRED. Or whatever your real name is.

Don

Were you the one de-linking ammo when I dropped by to talk with Rick this afternoon?

If so, sorry we didn't introduce ourselves. How did you and your Wife do today?

It wasn't me. I was down the far left. My wife was left most shooter, I was 2 to the right from her.

We left early, around 4 because we had to get home to a babysitter. She was shooting my tack driver 10/22 with a trigger job I did, shillen barrel, and laminate stock. I had the M&P.

I didn't even know someone was delinking rounds. There was one guy with a Nagant, but he was way down the other end of the firing line.

It wasn't me. I was down the far left. My wife was left most shooter, I was 2 to the right from her.

We left early, around 4 because we had to get home to a babysitter. She was shooting my tack driver 10/22 with a trigger job I did, shillen barrel, and laminate stock. I had the M&P.

I didn't even know someone was delinking rounds. There was one guy with a Nagant, but he was way down the other end of the firing line.

I was referring to Sunday and this guy was on the 50 yd range while almost all the Appleseed shooters were still shooting at the 100 yd range. I never walked over to the 100 yd range and we stuck around only until Abby was awarded her Orange Hat and then left.

Back
Top Bottom