Rifled slugs

Does anyone know if its ok to shoot rifled slugs in a rifled barrel? I don't, but was wondering if anyone has.

I shoot rifled slugs in my H&R slug gun all the time. I think I called H&R with the same question. Also I think on the box of remingtom sluggers it says for rifled or smooth bore shotguns.

When it comes to shot guns and slugs it always comes down to what your particular gun likes and the only way to find out is to run a box down the tube.

The box of truth did a mix and match with sabot slugs, rifled slugs in both smooth and rifled barrels. Here is the link if you are interested. The rifled slugs in the rifled bore is on the last page.

Bob

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot46.htm

When it comes to shot guns and slugs it always comes down to what your particular gun likes and the only way to find out is to run a box down the tube.

The box of truth did a mix and match with sabot slugs, rifled slugs in both smooth and rifled barrels. Here is the link if you are interested. The rifled slugs in the rifled bore is on the last page.

Bob

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot46.htm

A lot of flaws in that test.

His test was run at only 50 yard, and the smoothbore did not have a scope. He should have used a scoped smoothbore slug barrel to make things more comparable and he should have done group comparisons at 100 yards. It would have been a whole different story. Fosters shot out of a smoothbore typically group well out to 50-75 yards out of a smoothbore. Occasionally you get a gun and bullet combo that works well at 100. But usually anything over 75 the foster slugs begin to destabalize and tumble. I would have liked to see what they did at 100 with a rifled barrel.

A lot of flaws in that test.

His test was run at only 50 yard, and the smoothbore did not have a scope. He should have used a scoped smoothbore slug barrel to make things more comparable and he should have done group comparisons at 100 yards. It would have been a whole different story. Fosters shot out of a smoothbore typically group well out to 50-75 yards out of a smoothbore. Occasionally you get a gun and bullet combo that works well at 100. But usually anything over 75 the foster slugs begin to destabalize and tumble. I would have liked to see what they did at 100 with a rifled barrel.

True this wasn't the best "test" and there are variables that should have been better addressed, but what I found interesting wasn't distance/sight related. The tumbling of the sabot slugs out of the smooth bore wasn't something I had considered. I also was surprised at the lack of leading that occurred when firing a rifled slug in a rifled barrel. I would have thought there would have been more leading.

Before reading this I would have never considered shooting a rifled slug out of a rifled barrel because of what I though would happen in terms of leading and its effect on accuracy.

Bob

If you match the gun to the load, and practice, practice, the old style slugs will still perform.
I have a scoped Browning A5 that will put 5 rounds into 5 inches at 100 yards if I do my part. It likes Winchester and Federal Foster (old style) slugs, but not Remington. I've never seen any signs of tumbling or keyholing.
A few years back we were breaking for lunch in a field when one of my buddies, a champion shooter, spotted a deer at the top of the field. He laid his scoped 870 across the hood (ya, not legal, I know) and nailed it with one Remington Slugger. After the whooping and hollering we started betting on the distance. I got out my 100-foot tape and we measured it at over 630 feet - 210 yards.

A few years back we were breaking for lunch in a field when one of my buddies, a champion shooter, spotted a deer at the top of the field. He laid his scoped 870 across the hood (ya, not legal, I know) and nailed it with one Remington Slugger. After the whooping and hollering we started betting on the distance. I got out my 100-foot tape and we measured it at over 630 feet - 210 yards.

Who won the bet? How far did you each think it was?

Im still not convinced the swaged rifleing on the reminton sluggers really does much? Would it not conflict with rifle barel rifleing. And just how does it generate spin spin in a smooth bore?

I've got some Sluggers as well as some Coppersolid Sabots. I'll try to get to the range and try them out.

Can't recall who won, but I do remember that nobody was even close to 200. Longest guess was around 150.

Typical ballistics on a 2 3/4" foster slug at 1500 fps are 2" high at 50 yards, dead on at 100 yards and 3" low at 125yards and falling fast. The 3"ers are not much better. At 210 yards he would have had to aim several feet above the back to hit the deer. Sounds like either you mismeasured or he got incredibly lucky....

I highly doubt the rifled slugs do anything with the sealing of gases, BUT I do think that the rifled or swaged slug as in the remington slugsters might give a little releif or compression room for the tighter chokes?????

Back
Top Bottom