• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rifled slug from smooth barrel with improved cylinder choke makes 2 holes at 25 yards?

You said TruBall. Maybe the ball? TruBall is probably the most accurate slug load out of a smoothbore. The technology dates back to the Minnie Ball but it still works.

Last edited:
They should make the wad out of lead... [rofl]
Meh. It's been done,

(Well, kinda)

On the subject of wads, and shotties - at my club, a guy got a 26/25 on the Trap field - he ran them, but one bird was broken twice - once by the shot, and one of the pieces was struck and broken by a wad. [shocked] [laugh]

Looking at these images of the construction of the Federal TreuBall Rifled Slug, I would not be surprised that you got two holes at 25 yards. LE_SLUG_ lg RENDERING_5c.jpg Slug_ball lg _wadgac.jpg

Why are you wasting slugs on sissy paper targets? They're for deer. Just shoot the sumbich, hang him up, start cleaning out all the icky guts, strip the hide off, and cut the meat into tasty portions. Or buy birdshot--birds are a lot easier to field dress and pack out.

This is the slug. Federal 12 Gauge Tactical TruBall Rifled Slug - Ammunition - Streichers
24 inch barrel

Why 2 holes? 25 yards is not close enough for paper wads
1. What makes you think that ammo has a paper wad?
2. What makes you think even if it did have a paper wad it wouldn't make a second hole on paper at 25 yards?

I read the description on that ammo (that you posted) and it definitely has plastic components in it.

Bottom line.......the second hole IS the wad.

Obtain round...
Pull slug only - that's the soft metallic part in front...
Find a friend...
Stand at 25YDs and field test said round...
Have friend report back.
[popcorn]

Back
Top Bottom