• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

rifle zero question

I know AR based rifles have two incidents where the bullet will cross over the zero mark. An example of this is if an AR is zeroed at 50 yards the bullet will also hit the zero mark around 200 meters. My noob question is, do all rifles have similar characteristics? Thanks.

In short, yes, assuming you don't zero the rifle at the single point where the optic line of sight meets the apex of the flight path.

alot of it depends on the sights/optics used and how far above the centerline of the bore the sight/optic is.

I know AR based rifles have two incidents where the bullet will cross over the zero mark. An example of this is if an AR is zeroed at 50 yards the bullet will also hit the zero mark around 200 meters. My noob question is, do all rifles have similar characteristics? Thanks.

ALL rifles have the same sort of trajectory, not just ARs.

The crossover points change depending on the exact exterior ballistics of the cartridge in question.

It's a function of having the sights on the top of the gun.

They can be placed elsewhere, but I don't think of small arms. Think of fighter planes from WWII. The guns (on some of them) were in the wings and the sight was in the middle. Most of the pilots would set a distance where the guns would converge. However on some of the early WWI airplanes they had guns mounted on the top of the biplane wing (this was before the interrupter gear invention) and the sights were in front of the pilot and below the gun.

I don't know of any small arms that have the sights other than on the top. Well maybe the birdman sights. I'm sure someone will post some though.

B

Back
Top Bottom