• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rifle transfer

So my buddy is traveling south to visit his son.he is bringing his favorite hunting rifle and wants to give it to his son. He thinks he can just fill out the Mass transfer form on line and hand it over when hes there. I said he needs to go thru an ffl. Looking for another opinion. Thanks

Sent from the blind

I thought Massachusetts transfer forms are only for guns transferred within or into Massachusetts.
I don't know how the Massachusetts Powers That Be feel about their "our firearms registry is not a firearms registry" registry having obsolete entries?

You are correct - no one in another state can do anything with the MA form. Do the transfer at an FFL in his son's state.

Wait what? Didn't you say rifle? What are the laws in the destination state? IIRC, you mail/bring it to the destination state's FFL, if required by law.

When you buy a rifle in NH, do you FA-10 it with the NH dealer present? No.. Do you ship it to a MA FFL? No...

The answer is dependent on the state the rifle is going to.

-------------
Excuse the brevity, I'm mobile.

Can't the son just use an eFA-10 and transfer it to himself without the cost and hassle of an FFL?

-chris

Can't the son just use an eFA-10 and transfer it to himself without the cost and hassle of an FFL?

-chris

Son lives in a state "down south" - If the RECIPIENT of the transfer is not a Massachusetts resident, then no eFA10.

- - - Updated - - -

Needs more info. Which state(s) is/are involved?

What he said.

From Mass to Florida. He thought that this "Use this option if you are a Massachusetts resident and you sold or transferred a firearm, rifle, shotgun or machine gun to another person or to a dealer, and you conducted the sale or transfer personally or through an agent." would mean he could do it himself. I told him he could fly to Florida with it and then go to an FFL and do the transaction but he couldnt do it himself.

Interstate transfers of long arms require an FFL in either the current owner's or new owner's home state (per fed law). MA law prohibits transfer to anyone other than a licensed MA resident at an MA FFL.

Tell your buddy to have his son find a friendly neighborhood FFL that will do the transfer while he's down there. Make sure they're OK with the guy bringing it in in person. IME, a lot of FFLs (around here, anyway) only take interstate transfers when the gun is sent to them by another FFL.

Thanks for the info. I called an FFL down near his son, he said bring it down as long as it can be done legally and he would handle it there for a fee.

I can't believe with all the information on this site that this question keeps coming up.

People here don't bother to read or search the Stickies where most of this stuff is covered thoroughly. That's why!

---------------

This is a Federal Law issue! Feds prohibit any FTF transfers of any guns between people who are resident of different states. All such transfers MUST go thru an FFL (anywhere for long guns, in new owner's state for handguns). Doing differently is an invitation for a long stay in a federal penitentiary.

Florida Doesn't require registration Or Licensing.

Holy crap. No they don't, but the ATF requires interstate transfers to go through an FFL with a 4473.

When you buy a rifle off Gunbroker, can the guy mail it to you? NO.

And as far as the comment about buying a rifle in NH, yeah you can do that. But you bought it from an FFL in NH, not an unlicensed person. Long guns you can buy out of state at an FFL in that state.

Back
Top Bottom