• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rifle Transfer from Mass to NH

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
A friend of mine moved from Mass to NH about 5 years ago. He sister-in-law is a Mass resident and owner of a Winchester rifle that she wants to sell to him. She purchased the rifle in Mass many years ago, but she let her FID expire. The rifle is registered to her and she wants to legally sell it to him. What's the proceedure? Can a Mass licensed person transport the rifle and accompany the buyer and seller to a Mass FFL, where the Mass FFL can do the paperwork?
Then can the NH resident then legally posess and transport the rifle back to NH?

"Can a Mass licensed person transport the rifle and accompany the buyer and seller to a Mass FFL, where the Mass FFL can do the paperwork?
Then can the NH resident then legally posess and transport the rifle back to NH? "

I don't think the NH resident can take possession in MA without an out of state LTC without running into some grey area.

It would be easier for you to take it over the border and transfer it here since as a MA resident you can possess a gun, unloaded unconcealed in NH without a problem, but MA doesn't afford that same right to NH residents.

I don't think the NH resident can take possession in MA without an out of state LTC without running into some grey area.

As long as it's not a large capacity rifle, there's no problem with a NH resident possessing it in MA as long as they keep it unloaded and in a case. However, a MA FFL cannot transfer any guns to a non-MA resident. So your only real choice is to go to a NH FFL, or do a MA FFL to NH FFL transfer. The FFLs might get cold feet though if the seller doesn't have a MA license.

so I can bring any of my long arms into MA without a permit?

can I leave them at my summer house?

so I can bring any of my long arms into MA without a permit?

129C allows non-residents to possess non-large capacity rifles and shotguns, and ammunition therefor 1) during hunting season with a valid hunting license, 2) at a shooting range, 3) at an organized firearms "showing or display", and 4) while traveling in or through the state.

There is a fifth exception, which is "the carrying or possession of conventional rifles, shotguns, and ammunition therefor by nonresidents who meet the requirements for such carrying or possession in the state in which they reside." But it seems too liberal (as in open, not as in politically left [wink]) to be the intent of the law. I have never gotten much feedback from anybody I'd believe as to whether this really is what it sounds like, which is basically an 'all lawful purposes' pass for non-residents.

Glockaholic said:
can I leave them at my summer house?

Maybe.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom