Rifle Training

Hi During the recent gun buying craze I picked up a couple of ARs. I had always wanted one but never had an urgency to buy one. As a result of the election I took the plunge to make sure I had a couple in case they were banned...the usual story. The good thing is it rekindled my interest in shooting again. However, I have always shot pistols never rifles. I went to the range yesterday and tried to zero my BUIS and realized I am cluless. I have no idea how to properly hold and aim the thing. Don't get me wrong I was hitting the paper but I felt awkward and really didn't know how to adjust the sights of position myself correctly.

can anyone recommend good basic rifle training. I think the answer is Appleseed or CMP but I would like to know the differences between the two if any.

I would like it to cover the basics. How to hold, aim, and fire the rifle; Proper positioning, zeroing in the iron sights, using a scope, etc.

the cmp shoots that i have been to have been good but they are quick and not much instruction really, the half appleseed i went to was very hands on with a lot of great tips from some amazing instructors, an appleseed will give you a lot of instruction about proper positioning

I have shot both and my experiences are these:

Appleseed is a course of instruction that focuses on the shot - by breaking down all the components of taking a good shot and focusing on them in a sequence, you are instructed on the foundations of good marksmanship skills.

Once you have those skills, you can better compete in a CMP shoot - the CMP will give you shooting experience but not much instruction of how to shoot.

Appleseed hands down.

There is a big difference between a CMP or NRA High Power clinic and a match. In a match the rules don't allow any coaching.

B

can anyone recommend good basic rifle training. I think the answer is Appleseed or CMP but I would like to know the differences between the two if any.

I would like it to cover the basics. How to hold, aim, and fire the rifle; Proper positioning, zeroing in the iron sights, using a scope, etc.

What JonJ said, and what Dwarven1 will repeat (enthusiastically): Appleseed.

Appleseed is a nationwide volunteer run organization filled with people who are passionate about propagating good rifle marksmanship skills. Their volunteers actively arrange events where they teach the skills to shoot, and push to help pass those skills on.

CMP is the army sponsored program meant to accomplish the same thing. They discovered (about a century ago) that a recruit that comes in with good marksmanship skills has a far bigger chance at survival on the battlefield. Their methodology, however, is a lot more indirect. A lot of what you see are rewards for good marskmanship (A minimim target score to get that cheap CMP Garand). The actual training however usually comes from another group, like the NRA (etc). They have been in the marksmanship teaching business decades before they got into politicking.

Other than that, the principles of stance, grip, sight alignment, breath control, trigger control, and follow through will have quite a bit of overlap when transitioning to the rifle.

My club offers CMP Training but the timing did not work for me. Sounds like Appleseed is what I am looking for. Thanks for the replies. Maybe I will see if the club can host one.

The first place I'd look would be the "Appleseed Rifle Training" sub-forum about a half-screen up from this thread.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom