• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rifle suggestion for Canada bear hunt?

My wife is finally going to let me go on my dream hunt. I'll be going up to New Brunswick in May for my bear hunt. Of course I'm going to have to get a new rifle. I'm thinking 308 or 30-06. I really like the Thompson predator series, of course Remington and Winchester are at the top of the list as well. Let me know your suggestions.

Also scope suggestions. I'm really leaning toward a trijicon.

Thanks in advance for all the suggestions

I'm thinking 308 or 30-06. I really like the Thompson predator series, of course Remington and Winchester are at the top of the list as well.

Don't discount Savage in this group. You can use what you save to put towards the Trijicon, although over bait, you will not need such an advanced or expensive scope.

I just checked your link looks awesome. I've been tossing around the idea of a lever action. Thanks

you are welcome. awesome gun and recoil is not what you would expect for the caliber and bullet weight. very easy and pleasant to shoot well.
built in rail is a plus - no need to mess around with drilling taping or even buying mounts for your scope.
good to go right out of the box.

if you ever have to hunt in the deep of winter that big loop will come handy for gloved hands as well

Last edited:
Make sure the Canucks will let your rifle of choice in.

One of the guys at our club just came back from AK, after going overland though the Great White North, and the Customs folks were remarkably humorless.

For instance, apparently the Ruger Carbine is specifically verboten....

At 50 yards max, your really looking at shotgun time. Bears have fat so small holes tend to plug easily. A 45-70 would make a good choice. Don't go overboard with a scope either. You want one you can dial down to a 1.5 to 2x or you'll just be looking at a big black thing and how more trouble figuring out where to shoot. I had the issue on my bear and I was sitting 125 yrds out.

I would say 12 gauge slug. There are a lot of low cost mounting options, so you could put a scope on it. You will be good for at least 150 yards. I sight my slug gun in at 100.

Ask your outfitter. Most of the calibers mentioned above will work. NB means black bear, not Ursus Horribilis, right? I believe semi-autos are illegal in Canada, and rifles need a minimum barrel length of 20" (or the metric equivalent.) If you're looking at Marlin lever guns, look for an older one made in CT with the JM initials on the barrel. The newer ones made by Remington have had QC issues.

H:
Black bear are not hard to kill,I have killed a few with flintlock and caplock rifles. Most baits are 35 yards a 30-30 is plenty. Double lung them and they will get about 40-50 yards and you will hear a loud moan, it's done. Practice shooting 15 feet in the air at a small paper plate. Practice taking your saftey off or cocking the firearm quietly. Head shots are very effective if you have confidence. They will not come up the tree and eat you! They are shy and will make tracks if they see you move(swatting bugs,fidgeting) Make sure you have a bug suit or hat the black flys will be wicked.A scope will give you an advantage for bigger bear usually come in when you have lost your light for open sights.Minimum of a 40mm objective. Cheap guns-NEF single barrel rifled slug gun 20 guage or Rem 870 rifled 20 guage. Remember shooting down hill from a stand your bullet will strike higher than flat ground.Don't be afraid to shoot a 150lb bear, they are the best eating.
Good Luck
Woodsman

Brown Bear or Black Bear?

I second the suggestion for 45-70 if its within 100 yards. I like the flatter shooting 30 caliber rounds for longer distance. Up close, I'd go for the big ugly 45-70. It will be just as practically accurate at those distances. Bear have a lot of fat. You want to put a big hole in them and deep penetration (don't laugh) is important.

nb bear hunt

Deep penetration? You don't shoot them end to end. They are thin skinned and a shot behind the shoulder will take out the lungs,no lungs, no air,dead bear, lungs don't have much mass. Boone Killed hundreds of bear with a 38 caliber flintlock using less than 50 grains of powder. A low recoil rifle is more important to a good shot than a heavy recoil that will cause many to flinch and make a poor shot which will show you how bear fat will plug a hole, you will probably kill the bear but won't recover it.
Woodsman

I've done it with my Browing 30-06. If you can shoot well you will take him down. You don't need a Cannon to take him down

Any of the classic whitetail cartridges will handle black bear just fine.

But, if you are buying a rifle specifically for this hunt, how about a 35 Whelen? Excellent choice.

Back
Top Bottom